B&W ASW610 Subwoofer

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
My system comprises Rega Brio R, Audiolab 8200CD player and Monitor Audio RX1 speakers.
I decided that it would be nice to reproduce the lower bass notes and added a BK XLS200 subwoofer which I had for a while but then decided that I should upgrade.
After reading good reports of the B&W I decided to investigate further, I went to the B&W website where it gave info for the ASW610 and also had a picture of what I thought was the driver which looked very substantial.
My mind was made up so I went out and purchased one, once set up I put on a favourite track but was disappointed to find that it was to my ears not really any better than the BK sub which was half the price. When I took off the grille to look at the driver it seemed quite lightweight compared to the one on the B&W website and not really any better than the Peerless unit fitted to the BK sub.
Recently I decided that I would change the driver for something with a bit more substance and purchased an RE Audio 10inch car subwoofer.
The result was very pleasing and I am now quite happy with the sub.
I would point out that the driver I purchased was just over £ 80 including VAT and delivery.
If you want to replace the driver in the ASW 610 B&W charge about £ 150.
I am not suggesting that everybody should do what I have done this is just something I wanted to try and as it happens it has worked out fine.
My point is this don’t be misled by the B&W website driver picture and assume that is what you are getting if you are interested in the B&WASW610 have a listen first before you buy this is something I did not do.

hifi shock

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
When I was choosing a sub for my stereo system I've immediately discarded the b&w subs because:

1)the are too lightweight(15kg)

2)they don't have a phase potentiometer,but only a switch

after I bought an Heco Celan 30A,that sounds amazing,is beautiful and is build like a tank(45kg)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As the 610 and 610xp are both little more than a 12" square cube, and use lightweight Class D amplification, there is a limit as to what they can weigh. I think you'd need to look at the £2,500 Sunfire subwoofers to get something weighty at this size.

And how can you tell how lightweight a driver is just by taking the grille off and looking at it? You'd need to open it up and take the driver out in order to do this, which would invalidate your warranty.

Because you have changed the bass driver in it, you have no idea of it performance measurements. That sub will have been designed as a whole, based on the driver it came with. As it stands, you have no idea whether that sub is producing a flat response, or whether any of it's specs have been affected by the change you've made.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion yes you can tell how lightweight the driver is just by taking off the grille, but of course in my case I actually took the driver out of the case and I can assure you that compared to many 10 inch drivers it is lightweight.

I have got a sound level meter and test disc with warble tones and there is a greater extension in the frequency response with the new driver.

Also when I play music with heavy bass now the new driver which has a one way excursion of 18mm works much more cleanly and sounds clearer.

But my main point still stands that the B&W website picture is misleading and you think you are getting something else

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I say well done, enjoy. I quite recently bought a BK XXLS 400 after looking at the small B&Ws. No contest.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
:)
hifi shock said:
When I was choosing a sub for my stereo system I've immediately discarded the b&w subs because:

1)the are too lightweight(15kg)

2)they don't have a phase potentiometer,but only a switch

after I bought an Heco Celan 30A,that sounds amazing,is beautiful and is build like a tank(45kg)

:)

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Since writing my original piece I have now changed the amplifier as well.

I purchased the BK BSBPV500 (500watts) and I can tell you that my subwoofer sounds even better.

So for a total cost of £ 400 pounds you could build a subwoofer which is far superior to the B&W ASW610 and most others come to that.

As a matter of interest the BK amplifier as equalisation as well. I am very pleased with the result and wish I had done this in the first place.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts