Question B&W 706

Ris101

May 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi. I've been using them for the last few years. I use them in conjunction with a rega elex r, bluesound node 2i and project turntable.

In general I'm very happy with them, clarity and detail is excellent. I had demoed a lot of speakers and these fitted well. It is a fairly warm sound, positioning is key and speaker cable also helped to improve this. Source and type of music makes all the difference, if you like lots of harsh grungy music then not the best. I listen to all types of indy, rock n roll, folk and electronic. My only itch is the turntable!!

Happy to answer any questions.

What amp are you looking to use them with?

TrevC

Hi. I've been using them for the last few years. I use them in conjunction with a rega elex r, bluesound node 2i and project turntable.

In general I'm very happy with them, clarity and detail is excellent. I had demoed a lot of speakers and these fitted well. It is a fairly warm sound, positioning is key and speaker cable also helped to improve this. Source and type of music makes all the difference, if you like lots of harsh grungy music then not the best. I listen to all types of indy, rock n roll, folk and electronic. My only itch is the turntable!!

It's an elderly Sony. 60 watts per channel. Would you describe them as bright sounding, like the 606 anniversary?

Ris101

May 16, 2020
Visit site
I personally don't they are, I don't like bright. But they can lean that way if they are not partnered very well.

They will probably sound very similar to the 606 , just more detailed. Used to have 685 s2 with the rega and also enjoyed that. Before that I had cyrus amps and they really were bright with b&w

I personally don't they are, I don't like bright. But they can lean that way if they are not partnered very well.

They will probably sound very similar to the 606 , just more detailed. Used to have 685 s2 with the rega and also enjoyed that. Before that I had cyrus amps and they really were bright with b&w
I had the original 685's which I liked, didn't like the 606, and haven't heard the S2 version of the 706

In a shop? I find it hard to tell how good anything is that way. Years ago I bought some KEF speakers that sounded great in the shop, but when I tried them in my room they had huge overblown bass. Fortunately I was allowed to swap them for Celestions.
yes it can be difficult. I use a dealer audition to cut out the obvious ones that aren't going to do it for me at all, find something that might, and then see if they're up to a home audition.
PS: I have never heard a bad Celestion speaker

Florestander

May 8, 2021
Visit site
I auditioned these at a dealers, partnered with a Musical Fidelity M6 amp. For me, they sounded very warm and inviting musically, with good staging for speakers in this price range. In the end I dis not purchase them as I perceived a bit more 'bass' than I would have expected to hear and I am seeking a more 'natural ' sound (such as you may experience from a monitor type speaker. ( I use these terms in the context of my understanding as a relative novice, notwithstanding that others on here may disagree with my choice of adjective!). I have to say though that my daughter loved them. She is muc younger and probably hears more than me though to be fair - and she certainly has different musical preferences. - However, she is not stumping up the cash, so doesn't get to choose! :)

Fishheskettpark

Jan 16, 2021
Visit site
I have the 706 S2s partnered with a Naim Uniti Star. Whilst I am not an expert I find them to be on the warm side of neutral but that is pretty much what I prefer. I did find that speaker cable made a huge difference finally settling on some Chord Shawline X that I managed to pick up second hand on eBay for not too much. Long run in for both Naim and 706s necessary as either they improve with age Or your ears get used to the sound. My room is furnished with lots of sofas and carpeted and I think this helps.
I did try the 705 S2s which was definitely smoother but didn’t have as much punch as the 706s plus I felt the decoupled tweeter was too much of an invite to sons drunken mates and toddlers so they went back.

gitesh_b

Feb 4, 2024
Visit site
Hello . I have recently ordered B & W 706 s2 speaker without doing a demo.There were no demo options available where I stay. I am going to pair them with my Harman Kardon 3380 stereo receiver . . Do these speakers brightness hurt ears ? Is there any way to rectify if they sound too bright ?

Hello . I have recently ordered B & W 706 s2 speaker without doing a demo.There were no demo options available where I stay. I am going to pair them with my Harman Kardon 3380 stereo receiver . . Do these speakers brightness hurt ears ? Is there any way to rectify if they sound too bright ?
This is an old thread, perhaps you would get more response if you started a new one
In answer to your question if too bright either return them or place them with a good bit of toe-out

rainsoothe

This is an old thread, perhaps you would get more response if you started a new one
In answer to your question if too bright either return them or place them with a good bit of toe-out
Was just about to suggest starting a new thread myself.
As for your particular question, if the speakers are new, I'd suggest leaving them on for a few hours, playing music, and only decide after a day or two (10 hours roughly). Also, I don't know about your source, but your amp is definitely a weak link in this setup - I, for one, would aim for a rough balance between components - as in they all should be within the same price range. Your HK is a pretty old piece of kit, and it's a reciever with a somewhat bumped low frequency range, which may or may not work with the rest of your setup and room.

If it was me, I'd stick those on a Naim Uniti Atom, or a Cambridge Audio CXN v2 + a used Naim Nait XS2 or a Hegel amp.

Reactions: DougK1

gitesh_b

Feb 4, 2024
Visit site
I have the 706 S2s partnered with a Naim Uniti Star. Whilst I am not an expert I find them to be on the warm side of neutral but that is pretty much what I prefer. I did find that speaker cable made a huge difference finally settling on some Chord Shawline X that I managed to pick up second hand on eBay for not too much. Long run in for both Naim and 706s necessary as either they improve with age Or your ears get used to the sound. My room is furnished with lots of sofas and carpeted and I think this helps.
I did try the 705 S2s which was definitely smoother but didn’t have as much punch as the 706s plus I felt the decoupled tweeter was too much of an invite to sons drunken mates and toddlers so they went back.
Hello. I have ordered bowers 706 s2 without demo as demo is not possible where I live . I will be pairing them with my old Harman Kardon 3380 stereo receiver. I have heard reviews that these speakers sound bright / harsh so one cannot listen for too long ? Did you have to do any tonal adjustments to 706 s2 ?

Hello. I have ordered bowers 706 s2 without demo as demo is not possible where I live . I will be pairing them with my old Harman Kardon 3380 stereo receiver. I have heard reviews that these speakers sound bright / harsh so one cannot listen for too long ? Did you have to do any tonal adjustments to 706 s2 ?
My question would be, if you heard that, why did you buy them? Just wondering.

gitesh_b

Feb 4, 2024
Visit site

Hello I just got b & w 706 s2 and using it with my old Harman kardon 3380 stereo receiver. What speaker cable are you using ? B & W customer care suggest 12 /13 awg bi-wired .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts