B&W 700 Series

L.O.S

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
I've been eyeing up the B&W 705 s2 Signatures as they are being heavily discounted at the moment, but it begs the question.
Are they about to be replaced?
Some dealers aren't showing the 700 series models along side the 800's and 600's. They are still showing on the Bowers website.
Has anyone got some inside info on this?

I've been eyeing up the B&W 705 s2 Signatures as they are being heavily discounted at the moment, but it begs the question.
Are they about to be replaced?
Some dealers aren't showing the 700 series models along side the 800's and 600's. They are still showing on the Bowers website.
Has anyone got some inside info on this?
Not sure why it matters if they are about to be replaced.
Can you explain?

I’ve not seen any hints about new models, but it can never be ruled out. That said, most B&W seem to be discounted currently, which I put down simply to stimulating turnover and cash flow.

The ones you mention have been favourably reviewed, and dealers like Peter Tyson (if you’re in the UK) often offer a return period.

L.O.S

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Not sure why it matters if they are about to be replaced.
Can you explain?
Purely because I keep gear for a long time. Don't want to buy a model that's then replaced shortly after by a new and maybe improved version. I realise that newer is not always better, but it might be......?

Reactions: Gray

L.O.S

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
I’ve not seen any hints about new models, but it can never be ruled out. That said, most B&W seem to be discounted currently, which I put down simply to stimulating turnover and cash flow.

The ones you mention have been favourably reviewed, and dealers like Peter Tyson (if you’re in the UK) often offer a return period.
Thanks, that's good to know.

Purely because I keep gear for a long time. Don't want to buy a model that's then replaced shortly after by a new and maybe improved version. I realise that newer is not always better, but it might be......?
It begs the question; would the new model at full price be superior to the outgoing model at discounted price? Historically, improvement is generally only in small increments in passive speaker technology.

nads

How long was it between the 700 and 700s2 releases? Over 10 years IIRC.

currently the biggest port in china has only recently reopened and there is a MASSIVE backlog of everything.

L.O.S

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
How long was it between the 700 and 700s2 releases? Over 10 years IIRC.

currently the biggest port in china has only recently reopened and there is a MASSIVE backlog of everything.
I think new model releases are circa 6/7 years. I purchased my current B&W CM8's in 2011. These were replaced by the 704s2's in 2017. That's what making me suspect a new range may be imminent.
It's not so much they're being discounted that makes me think that, it's the fact that stores like SSAV and Audio T have dropped the 700 line up completely.....

L.O.S

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
It begs the question; would the new model at full price be superior to the outgoing model at discounted price? Historically, improvement is generally only in small increments in passive speaker technology.
Absolutely spot on, I much preferred my CM8's to the CM8s2's when they were released, on looks and sound. The certain price increase isn't a major concern when you think about it, as whatever I get will probably stay with me for another 10 years.

Reactions: bigboss

nads

I think new model releases are circa 6/7 years. I purchased my current B&W CM8's in 2011. These were replaced by the 704s2's in 2017. That's what making me suspect a new range may be imminent.
It's not so much they're being discounted that makes me think that, it's the fact that stores like SSAV and Audio T have dropped the 700 line up completely.....
Mmm so what replaced the old 700 if you think the CMs were replaced by the 700s2s

I never saw the CMs being in the same range as the 700s

L.O.S

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Mmm so what replaced the old 700 if you think the CMs were replaced by the 700s2s

I never saw the CMs being in the same range as the 700s
The original (very ugly) 700's were replaced by the CM series. B&W then replaced the CM's using the 700 designation again. The new 700 range are a direct replacement of the CM range, identical cabinets pretty much and hitting the same price points (allowing for inflation).

RayP

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I’ve had my B&W CM4s for 22 years. Until the last two years they were driven by an AVR. Not a cheap one either. £2K Denon followed by a Yamaha RX-A3010. But the bass was never satisfactory given the frequency response is 37-20,000 +/- 3dB.

But then I bought a proper amp - Naim XS3 and it transformed the sound including the bass which is now superb.

But looking at the frequency response of the 703 it’s 46Hz - 28kHz ±3dB which seems a backward step. That’s a lot of bass missing.

Are the new speakers much better than those of 20-25 years ago? I feel my amp is capable of driving better but what would be suitable for a Bluesound Node 2i plus the Naim in a medium sized lounge with carpets?

precisely....
often the best time to to buy is when a new release is imminent.
Absolutely. You and BB have nailed it. I purchased the Pulse several months after the ugly MK3 was released. At £750, reduced from £1200-£1300 a few months previously was a great buy. Still hard to beat in its price bracket.

And any upgrades tend to be subtle at best, in some cases the newer incarnation isn't as good as the outgoing model.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts