B&W 685 with NAD C326BEE Amp and NAD C545BEE CD Player?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I purchased a pair of B&W 685 loudspeakers yesterday, with B&W FS700 loudspeaker stands yesterday.

Will the NAD C326BEE and C545BEE be the most ideal amp + CD player combination for the B&W 685 loudspeakers?

Dan.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I had the C326BEE for a while and it's a nice amp. But it's nothing
special IMO. I can only compare it to the Rotel RA-04 I had and the
Rotel is much better, it has a more open soundstage and you'll hear
things in your music you simply don't hear with the NAD. The NAD sounds
a little muddy. Also the timing of the Rotel is much better, a more
accurate sound.

You could wait for the Cambridge 650 amp
or maybe the new Marantz PM6003. You could also try the Rotel RA-04, a
fantastic machine for the money !

matthewpiano

I agree with Cypher about the muddiness of NAD amps. They can exhibit it to a certain extent, particularly when partnered badly, BUT when I tried 685s with my C325BEE (which is now in my study system) I thought they worked together extremely well.

I think the NAD amps are amongst the best AT THE PRICE for driving the 685s. However, in no way could a £300 C326BEE be described as the 'most ideal' amp for these speakers. Spending a bit more on the C355 would pay much bigger dividends. Also worth looking at the Marantz range, although you might find the combination a bit dull and lacking in life. IMO the best Marantz amp of recent times is the PM7001 KI-Signature. By a huge margin.

A

Anonymous

I second Matthew - 7001Ki is a brilliant amp and if you look around you can find a bargain on it second-hand
emotion-5.gif
(no longer in production as it was replaced by PM8003).

A

Anonymous

Thanks a lot, guys, for your comments.

I am just in a spot of dilemma because I recently decided to split my main system up into two separate systems. I want a 'real' purist 2-channel system.

My real dilemma is possibly deciding to trade-in my Cyrus CD 8 SE CD Player and PSX-R for a 2-channel integrated amplifier and CD Player that will be at the same sort of 'level' as the B&W 685 (sort of lower of the mid-range products). I want a good, solid, sounding 2-channel system but I do not want to spend thousands more, hence my Cyrus is my buying chip, so to speak.

Dan.

A

Anonymous

dantan:
I purchased a pair of B&W 685 loudspeakers yesterday, with B&W FS700 loudspeaker stands yesterday.

Hi Dan

A bit off the topic, but I wanted your thoughts on the FS700 loudspeaker stands you have if you don't mind. I'm looking to get these as finding good supports in RSA is quite challenging. How have they been performing so far?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
As good as the C326BEE is I agree that it's not the best out there to drive the 685's to their full potential.

IMO you could either go for the NAD C355BEE integrated or, if you can find one in mint condition, the NAD C352 integrated.

I've owned the latter and heard the C355BEE with the 685's and the C545CDP and the Rega Apollo CDP and they all sounded superb.

685's IMO need good power to drive them at their best. That's also another reason why, IMO, the Marantz and Rotel RA-04 wouldnt do the job as well. I also feel that the C/A combo with the 685's would be too bright! The C/A's can be forward at times!

Have you considered 2nd hand items like the afore mentioned NAD's or possibly an Arcam Alpha 10 integrated, or again, if you can find them in decent condition and at sensible prices, the Arcam DiVA A85 or FMJ A32 ingtegrated's?

At a later date they can all be upgraded with their matching power amps and believe me; this would make the 685's sing so well!

A

Anonymous

Hi:

I sold my Hi Fi equipment (Cambridge Audio 540A-640C v2/Mourdant Short MS20i) and I want to buy a new upgraded set.

The alternatives that I considering are the following, all rated 5 stars and available in Chile:

a) Cambrigde Audio 550A Amplifier - 650C CD Player

b) NAD C326BEE Amplifier - C545BEE CD Player

c) B&W 685 or Monitor Audio Silver SR1 speakers

Additional information:

- I hear mainly Jazz CDs

- 50% of the time I used headphones (Grado80i/Sennheiser HD555)

- 15 m2 music room

- Direct sound (not trebble or bass added normally)

Can you give me advice about this options?

What about the Rotel RC06/RCD06 and Marantz PM5003/CD5003 Amps-CD sets?

Thanks in advance,

ferju

manicm

ferju:

Hi:

I sold my Hi Fi equipment (Cambridge Audio 540A-640C v2/Mourdant Short MS20i) and I want to buy a new upgraded set.

The alternatives that I considering are the following, all rated 5 stars and available in Chile:

a) Cambrigde Audio 550A Amplifier - 650C CD Player

b) NAD C326BEE Amplifier - C545BEE CD Player

c) B&W 685 or Monitor Audio Silver SR1 speakers

Additional information:

- I hear mainly Jazz CDs

- 50% of the time I used headphones (Grado80i/Sennheiser HD555)

- 15 m2 music room

- Direct sound (not trebble or bass added normally)

Can you give me advice about this options?

What about the Rotel RC06/RCD06 and Marantz PM5003/CD5003 Amps-CD sets?

Thanks in advance,

ferju

I think for the amp forget the 326, the CA550A is a better amp, and try both CDPs with the 550A.

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Hi:

First, you've not told us why you sold your gear, were they bright sounding, fatiguing, or just want to upgrade ?

Now, going from 540A to 550A and 640C to 650C isn't any upgrade at all, just sideways, and the differences are going to be marginal, IMO.

So, my suggestion would be 'why not' a complete NAD setup with matching speakers - a definite upgrage would be 352/355 and matching cdp (of course if you have the budget).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts