B&W 685 S2

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

the record spot

nima said:
One can not get around the fact that they are extremely ugly...

Looks could well be a deal breaker.

They were for me. Seeing them in the flesh was a surprise; very boxy, large and too much extension in depth to the rear. Soundwise, they left me cold but it's clear they have many who rate them too. Horses for courses.

mikefarrow said:
hello Rick, my cd player is the musical fidelity xray, amp the matching xa2. both units upgraded by js audio repairs. this made system much clearer with treble in particular more detailed. the units sit side by side on a rigid wood table. my room is 15 foot by 15 foot. my speakers are 5 foot apart and 8 inches from the back wall. unfortunately, any speaker tested would have to go in these exact positions. what i'm after is a fuller more 3d sound. i have a copy of the isotek system set up disk and the "front to back imaging test" confirms my system has zero front to back depth. when records are played featuring drums, there does not seem to be any punch. the system never gives the impression, even slightly, that the sounds/performers are in front of me. the sound is very flat, never seems to fills the room even at maximum volume. i have tried the speakers out in the room as a test but to be honest it makes no difference. am i expecting to much from my cd/amp ? i believe not on the grounds i used to own a £500 technics midi system that although not as clear sounding/accurate as my current system, it did used to give a small but 3d soundstage which gave the illusion that the sounds/instuments were in front of me. the speakers were positioned in the exact spot that my current speakers are. the speakers were also connected with about 10m of bell wire ! i can only guess that the cd, amp and speakers matched perfectly unlike my current (much more expensive) set up. i have been advised that £800 standmounts should give the upgrade i'm looking for so b&w cm5 (which have been advised) plus kef ls50 are an idea. if the cheaper b&w 685s2 are a better choice, great ! or maybe b&w speakers are not to my taste ? either way £800 will take alot of saving! any advice would be appreciated. thanks

Hi mikefarrow

Thanks for your reply.

It just may be that your amp and speakers are not quite suited to each other. Anyway your 601S2's still have more to offer so my advice is that in the first instance look at using alternative amplification -

Rotel RC-972 + RB-971 x 2 bridged configuration

Rotel RC-972 + RB-03 x 2 bridged configuration

Rotel RA-1062

NAD C370

As for speakers you can have a worthwhile upgrade with B&W 601S3's. Alternatively ATC's SCM11 (MK1) monitors, Focal JM Lab Aria 906, and Monitor Audio's Silver 1's are also worth bearing in mind.

Btw, please keep the volume in check with bridged Rotel power amps.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

U

unknown

MUSICRAFT said:
mikefarrow said:
hello Rick, my cd player is the musical fidelity xray, amp the matching xa2. both units upgraded by js audio repairs. this made system much clearer with treble in particular more detailed. the units sit side by side on a rigid wood table. my room is 15 foot by 15 foot. my speakers are 5 foot apart and 8 inches from the back wall. unfortunately, any speaker tested would have to go in these exact positions. what i'm after is a fuller more 3d sound. i have a copy of the isotek system set up disk and the "front to back imaging test" confirms my system has zero front to back depth. when records are played featuring drums, there does not seem to be any punch. the system never gives the impression, even slightly, that the sounds/performers are in front of me. the sound is very flat, never seems to fills the room even at maximum volume. i have tried the speakers out in the room as a test but to be honest it makes no difference. am i expecting to much from my cd/amp ? i believe not on the grounds i used to own a £500 technics midi system that although not as clear sounding/accurate as my current system, it did used to give a small but 3d soundstage which gave the illusion that the sounds/instuments were in front of me. the speakers were positioned in the exact spot that my current speakers are. the speakers were also connected with about 10m of bell wire ! i can only guess that the cd, amp and speakers matched perfectly unlike my current (much more expensive) set up. i have been advised that £800 standmounts should give the upgrade i'm looking for so b&w cm5 (which have been advised) plus kef ls50 are an idea. if the cheaper b&w 685s2 are a better choice, great ! or maybe b&w speakers are not to my taste ? either way £800 will take alot of saving! any advice would be appreciated. thanks

Hi mikefarrow

Thanks for your reply.

It just may be that your amp and speakers are not quite suited to each other. Anyway your 601S2's still have more to offer so my advice is that in the first instance look at using alternative amplification -

Rotel RC-972 + RB-971 x 2 bridged configuration

Rotel RC-972 + RB-03 x 2 bridged configuration

Rotel RA-1062

NAD C370

As for speakers you can have a worthwhile upgrade with B&W 601S3's. Alternatively ATC's SCM11 (MK1) monitors, Focal JM Lab Aria 906, and Monitor Audio's Silver 1's are also worth bearing in mind.

Btw, please keep the volume in check with bridged Rotel power amps.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

thanks Rick for your detailed reply. i'll look into the various options suggested.

(i would not have considered/realised that the 601 s3 would offer much difference over my 601 s2 models).

once again thanks for your taking time to reply.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Last week I could hear the whole 600 range with an Audiolab 8200.Also heard LS50,which is best of all but needs powerfull amp >80W better >100W to get the best out of it,so at least just with the audiolab integrated the sound was very lame.Added a 8200 poweramp the Ls50 begun to sing and shine. Arcam 19 is also not enough which we plugged in just to be sure.So keep in mind Ls50 needs power and imo not really comparable with speakers in the same price range.I understand now why some prefer the R-Series.Other competitors were Dali Zensor 3 and 7,they were just not my taste of sound with the audiolab but could sound more what I like with a Marantz,I didnt try.

Keeping the price in mind the whole 600 range is worth a listen.I liked the 685 and 684 and took the 685 for testing home and hooked them up to my own 8200 integrated and an older HK AVI 100.To my surprise the HK was also able to drive them as well as the audiolab and pleased me too,so much i am considering to reactivate it.Not sure if the HK is that good or the audiolab more bad than i was convinced it to be good,hmm.Dont get me wrong both sounded really good.

I think the 685 is soundwise one of the best picks at this price range if you can live with the looks and materials and imo you have to stretch at least to double priced speakers to benefit from better materials and sound combined ,a very clever product.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
685S2 are gone,looks is nogo for my better part ,no matter how nice it sounds,no chance to stay.

For now some Focal Aria 906 are breaking in.I must admit the looks is much better,but thats a question of taste.Used materials look and feel a lot more expensive than 685.These were just 70GBP more and you see where the money goes.These are made in europe,not like the B&W in china.So price is more than ok for me in comparison to the other speakers. Will report sound impressions if wished.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The Focal Aria 906 is a B&W wannabe hehe. :D

However, the flax driver cone unlike kevlar is from organic material and will change its rigidity over time, deteriorate etc. just like paper. I had window blinds and beach pads made from flax and it deteriorates continuosly on its own over the years from mechanical use, even when treated. :?

I also find the Focal Aria 906 much uglier than the B&W 685 S2. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But what really matters is how they sing and since they went the B&W path I'm sure they sound as briliant as WHF describes them.

Sorry for spewing B&W fermones on your new Focals. Couldn't help myself. :grin:

Congrats on the new toys mate. :cheers:

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Congrats on the new toys mate. :cheers:

You are absolutely right and thank you ;)

Dont get me wrong,sound is really :clap: with 685 ,i could have lived very good with them since they are like whf described.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Well,after few hours the focals should be run in mostly.Combined with my Peachtree Decco2 (perfect match imo) very lively and mature,refined sound on the warm side,i am very happy with them in combo with peachtree.The Audiolab 8200A didn´t go well with them,it did a lot better with the B&W´s but also for my ears not the best choice i guess.Sold the Audiolab.

I connected just for testing 2 Audiolab 8200MB to the pre-outs of the peachtree.Well the sound changed just subtle,a little more punch in the deep but also flat/neutral.To be honest i prefered the peachtree in solo with the focals.Also HK works well with the focals and the B&W.Meanwhile I had the opportunity to audit the B&W´s with an Arcam FMJ 19,sounds very good and balanced,can recommend this combo but personally i would try first with an HK 3770 as its cheaper and has buildin DAC etc..I could imagine that would sound not far away from the Arcam.

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
For some months I have the B&W 685 s2 into use and I love it. They stand on 60 cm VM stands with no filling, purchased from hifi klubben. Between the stands and the monitors are small rubber domes.

Before we bought the 685s2, we've listened to them and to the old 685, the cm1 and KEF Q300 and R300. They all sounded less good (IMO) while the new 685s2 were fresh from the box and sounded great!

For amp I have a NAD 3020. It sounds great but it's borrowed. What amplification is suitable on these monitors?

My wife and I love the neutral sound of the 685s2. We listen to a variety of music, from jazz to popular en sometimes classic (like Canto Ostinato).

The budget is 1000 euro max.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I bought my Roksan Kandy K2 BT exactly 1000 euros to match my B&W CM1's. Absolutely love it.

Great match also would be a Rotel RA-1570.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Reijer said:
For some months I have the B&W 685 s2 into use and I love it. They stand on 60 cm VM stands with no filling, purchased from hifi klubben. Between the stands and the monitors are small rubber domes.

Before we bought the 685s2, we've listened to them and to the old 685, the cm1 and KEF Q300 and R300. They all sounded less good (IMO) while the new 685s2 were fresh from the box and sounded great!

For amp I have a NAD 3020. It sounds great but it's borrowed. What amplification is suitable on these monitors?

My wife and I love the neutral sound of the 685s2. We listen to a variety of music, from jazz to popular en sometimes classic (like Canto Ostinato).

The budget is 1000 euro max.

I am a big fan of Electrocompaniet amplifiers but sadly they are somewhat over budget.

I am assuming you are in Demmark, or there abouts and recently, this popped up on the radar.

shapeimage_3.png

A rather nice looking integrated amplifier from a company called Abrahamsen, clear links to Electrcompaniet (ex employees) and a super specification.

Never heard it but it is reputed to be a near match for an entry level Electro at a fraction of the price.

With new models on the way these are currently selling direct for about €600.

http://www.store.abrahamsenaudio.no/

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Maybe I set my budget aside and go for an echelon higher. I'm triggered by the specs of the Cyrus 6 DAC. Abrahamsen looks good but is not for sale in Rotterdam Area, only online and I want to listen first.

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Cyrus 6 DAC is a integrated amp with DAC, manicm. It looks confusing when you read Cyrus 6 DAC. But it's a complete package.

So, I'm looking for an amplifier, but when it has additional digital inputs I'm also happy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts