B&W 685 S2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
manicm said:
Freddy58 said:
Freddy58 said:
I think an interesting point has been raised here. Do modern speakers actually sound better? I'm guessing they are more accurate, but sounding better?

Hello? HELLO?? :tapsonscreen:

Start another thread, this one's exclusively about the 685 S2.

Yes, quite right. I don't think I'll bother starting a thread, as it's apparent to me that folks don't like responding to my posts. I guess I'm a frightful bore...

U

unknown

Ketan Bharadia said:
We have quite a large number of stands on site. We got the best results with Custom Design's FS104 Signature and the Q Acoustics Concept 20 stands.

thanks for info/reply.

U

unknown

Ketan Bharadia said:
The 685s sound more agile and rhythmic to me. We didn't notice any great issue with amplifier matching.

once again, thanks for info/reply.

U

unknown

manicm said:
mikefarrow said:
Ketan Bharadia said:
The S2s retain the original's sound staging qualities

what speaker stand was used in the test ?

if you only used one type, how did you select this stand ?

(how did you know you were using the correct stand ?)

There are many good stands to choose from, why is this such a big issue? If it will help you, I used the 685 S1 with B&W's own stands to great effect.

my current speakers (due for an upgrade) are b&w 601 s2. they sound quite different when set up on a heavy mass loaded stand with blutach between speaker and stand when compared to a lighter stand with a hard (oak) cone between stand and speaker. (which is how i use them). if i am to audition new speakers (b&w cm5 had been suggested as a true upgrade model before the 685 s2 came out) i would like to have at least some starting "reference"to base my speaker stand choice on as the speakers stand and mounting arrangement in my experience does affect the sound a speaker produces.

mikefarrow said:
MUSICRAFT said:
ErwinC said:
MUSICRAFT said:
nima said:
If technology moved on, they should also be better than original Nautilus 805.

Hi nima

I don't think so.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

You think or you know? ;)

Hi Erwinc

I know.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

what speaker stands did you use to test the speakers ?

Hi mikefarrow

I heard 685 S2's with their stands.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

manicm

Freddy58 said:
manicm said:
Freddy58 said:
Freddy58 said:
I think an interesting point has been raised here. Do modern speakers actually sound better? I'm guessing they are more accurate, but sounding better?

Hello? HELLO?? :tapsonscreen:

Start another thread, this one's exclusively about the 685 S2.

Yes, quite right. I don't think I'll bother starting a thread, as it's apparent to me that folks don't like responding to my posts. I guess I'm a frightful bore...

Hey no need to feel offended, but really start another thread, I guarantee you'll receive many responses. I created this thread specifically for the 658 S2.

U

unknown

MUSICRAFT said:
mikefarrow said:
MUSICRAFT said:
ErwinC said:
MUSICRAFT said:
nima said:

Hi nima

I don't think so.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Erwinc

I know.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi mikefarrow

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

hello Rick

would it be a better idea just to buy floor standing speakers (with the stand already built into the speaker as such) or are there no floor standers f(or the same price) to match the 685 s2 with the matching b&w stands (i think the stands cost £100) ? floorstanders, for me, remove the question of using the correct stand and any system tuning "headaches" (with a floorstander, what you hear is basically what you get once positioned i believe).

thanks for any advice.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Yesterday my B&W 685 S2 finally arrived. :bounce:

First impressions are VERY good. Straight out of the box they already sound much better imo than the 685 i had (on loan) the week before. I never really liked the original 685, but i already like the S2 version a lot after only a few hours of listening.

Compared to the original 685 they sound more detailed and more open, they have better bass at high and low volumes and they certainly have a lot more PRAT.

Compared to the B&W CM5 (straight out of the box) i owned before, they sound much (better straight out of the box). But the CM5 sounded awful the first 4-5 weeks imo and improved much after playing more than 100 hours. So if the 685 S2 improve in the same way as the CM5 did, i am sure B&W has a real winner and the CM5 has a real problem. :dance:

rainsoothe

ErwinC said:
Compared to the B&W CM5 (straight out of the box) i owned before, they sound much (better straight out of the box). But the CM5 sounded awful the first 4-5 weeks imo and improved much after playing more than 100 hours. So if the 685 S2 improve in the same way as the CM5 did, i am sure B&W has a real winner and the CM5 has a real problem. :dance:

In defense of the CM5's i used to have in my system, i found out that driven by Rotel RA 1520 (which was fed by a Naim V1 DAC) sounded pretty awesome. I dont understand why people hate on these speakers so much, either they're partnering them with mismatched electronics or my sound preferences are deeply flawed :)

tommie_boi

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
The 685's were honestly the worst speakers i've ever had, gosh, that mechanical sound. The first time i've heard them, i was like 'what the hell?' My friend's Sony micro hi fi sounded more refined.

I assume those new 685 are not that much different. Why pay for that overpriced crap when you can have something stunning like Epos Epic 2? They cost less and sound great, i know , i had/have both.

Wake up, people, there's more in this world, not only B&W or Naim.

manicm

rainsoothe said:
ErwinC said:

In defense of the CM5's i used to have in my system, i found out that driven by Rotel RA 1520 (which was fed by a Naim V1 DAC) sounded pretty awesome. I dont understand why people hate on these speakers so much, either they're partnering them with mismatched electronics or my sound preferences are deeply flawed :)

No-one hates the CM5s - it's just that they've never represented great value when compared with other speakers in their price range.

manicm

tommie_boi said:
The 685's were honestly the worst speakers i've ever had, gosh, that mechanical sound. The first time i've heard them, i was like 'what the hell?' My friend's Sony micro hi fi sounded more refined.

I assume those new 685 are not that much different. Why pay for that overpriced crap when you can have something stunning like Epos Epic 2? They cost less and sound great, i know , i had/have both.

Firstly, the retail price of the Epos Epic 2 is not much less than the very new 685 S2.

Secondly, there's a large misconception about the 685 S1s. Garbage in, garbage out. In the right system the 685 was stunning, and it was very good at the end of my 25w amp. It was a speaker that exposed poor sources/amplification, and rewarded good components - which wasn't really hard to do. If you wanted a velvet smothering then it wasn't the speaker for you - that said I did not find it bright or fatiguing at all.

Thirdly, at the price, even amongst newcomers the 685 S1's soundstage was unrivalled.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
rainsoothe said:

I also like the CM5 when driven correctly. It is a really good allround speaker imo. I planned on buying a pair of CM5 (again), but now i will see how the 685 S2 improve the next weeks. ;)

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
tommie_boi said:

I did not like the original 685 either, but the S2 sound very different, are much better and i like them a lot. ;)

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
manicm said:
No-one hates the CM5s - it's just that they've never represented great value when compared with other speakers in their price range.

I do not agree. When driven properly, the CM5 represent very good value for money imo. Stereophile and the German magazine "Audio" agree with me on this point. ;)

manicm

ErwinC said:
manicm said:

I do not agree. When driven properly, the CM5 represent very good value for money imo. Stereophile and the German magazine "Audio" agree with me on this point. ;)

Most other reviews hinted it fundamentally didn't sound much different to the 685 S1, maybe just slightly smoother. And remember at its retail price it's more expensive than KEF's LS50. You'd really have to be single-minded to ignore other speakers at the +-1000 quid range.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
manicm said:
ErwinC said:
manicm said:

Most other reviews hinted it fundamentally didn't sound much different to the 685 S1, maybe just slightly smoother. And remember at its retail price it's more expensive than KEF's LS50. You'd really have to be single-minded to ignore other speakers at the +-1000 quid range.

I can not disagree more. I owned the CM5 and owned the 685 and imo they are VERY different sounding. I like the CM5 but do not like the 685.

I also owned a lot of other speakers in this price range (KEF LS50, Dynaudio Focus 110, Dali Mentor Menuet, ...) and imo the CM5 is one of the best. I like it more than the LS50.

manicm

I think it's down to personal taste as well. I like a smooth sounding speaker but not to the detriment of high-frequence extension or airiness. I found the 685s sharp enough without being fatiguing.

But the 685 S2 also seems to be a 'universal' speaker, and will be my first stop in a new/upgraded system, well apart from the Cambridge Audio Aero standmount.

nima

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
One can not get around the fact that they are extremely ugly (some would say: utterly disgusting).

Speakes take a very prominent place in a (living) room and they should really look better - competition obviously understands that. Even if they sound like voice coils of god to one person in a family, chances are they will be completely unacceptable by others. Looks could well be a deal breaker.

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps 685 are ugly ( utterly disgusting...!) for you,

for me, for example, the ls50 Kef are,

but saying that is like I have no other more smart arguments,

and what is beautifull for you, maybe is not for me... 8)

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
GCE said:
Perhaps 685 are ugly ( utterly disgusting...!) for you,

for me, for example, the ls50 Kef are,

but saying that is like I have no other more smart arguments,

and what is beautifull for you, maybe is not for me... 8)

I agree. I like the looks of the 685 S2 more than the LS50.

mikefarrow said:
MUSICRAFT said:
mikefarrow said:
MUSICRAFT said:
ErwinC said:
MUSICRAFT said:
nima said:

Hi nima

I don't think so.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Erwinc

I know.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi mikefarrow

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

hello Rick

would it be a better idea just to buy floor standing speakers (with the stand already built into the speaker as such) or are there no floor standers f(or the same price) to match the 685 s2 with the matching b&w stands (i think the stands cost £100) ? floorstanders, for me, remove the question of using the correct stand and any system tuning "headaches" (with a floorstander, what you hear is basically what you get once positioned i believe).

thanks for any advice.

Hi mikefarrow

What source component/s and amplification will you be using?

The size of your room?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

U

unknown

hello Rick, my cd player is the musical fidelity xray, amp the matching xa2. both units upgraded by js audio repairs. this made system much clearer with treble in particular more detailed. the units sit side by side on a rigid wood table. my room is 15 foot by 15 foot. my speakers are 5 foot apart and 8 inches from the back wall. unfortunately, any speaker tested would have to go in these exact positions. what i'm after is a fuller more 3d sound. i have a copy of the isotek system set up disk and the "front to back imaging test" confirms my system has zero front to back depth. when records are played featuring drums, there does not seem to be any punch. the system never gives the impression, even slightly, that the sounds/performers are in front of me. the sound is very flat, never seems to fills the room even at maximum volume. i have tried the speakers out in the room as a test but to be honest it makes no difference. am i expecting to much from my cd/amp ? i believe not on the grounds i used to own a £500 technics midi system that although not as clear sounding/accurate as my current system, it did used to give a small but 3d soundstage which gave the illusion that the sounds/instuments were in front of me. the speakers were positioned in the exact spot that my current speakers are. the speakers were also connected with about 10m of bell wire ! i can only guess that the cd, amp and speakers matched perfectly unlike my current (much more expensive) set up. i have been advised that £800 standmounts should give the upgrade i'm looking for so b&w cm5 (which have been advised) plus kef ls50 are an idea. if the cheaper b&w 685s2 are a better choice, great ! or maybe b&w speakers are not to my taste ? either way £800 will take alot of saving! any advice would be appreciated. thanks

TRENDING THREADS