B&W 685 and Audiolab 8200A

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Would the 8200A drive these nicely/make them sing? I have been sent a reasonably in-depth review via email (can't audition this amp as nobody stocks it locally) with these paired, and generally it sounds good/positive. But after recently posting an inquiry thread on SNA about these paired, people are saying these speakers need a lot more power.

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/31987-Integrated-Amplifier-for-B-amp-W-685

This amp is rated at 60W but I know it would output slightly more than this.

Thoughts on this combination? I can get them both for $2,000 AUD, so if recommending other amps, within $1-1,500.

A

Anonymous

Haha I somehow knew you would be one of the first people to reply to this. You always reply to anything/everything with the word Audiolab in it. Audiolab expert? ;)

"I've found that B&W's prefer to be feed with a amp that delivers
their maximum rated power, or very close to, if they are to be heard at
their best. Preferably a amp that doubles that output power as the load
halves."

and

"B&W are power hungry. Once they have the power, they tend to go from
mushy edgy ugly ducklings to sweet, well defined and controlled beauty
queens."

Just reading that made me somewhat paranoid.

Are the characteristics of the speakers/amp combined a good one?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'd have different personal preference as far as speakers are concerned, but they'll work fine together.

I do agree that they need driving properly. Many B&W's just sound soft and wallowy in the bass if they're not driven properly - they require a decent amount of current to perk them up. This will apply to pretty much any speaker. The 8200A will work fine, as would the Rotel RA1520 if you want an alternative that will work well with them, but I feel the 8200A is a better amplifier.

A

Anonymous

Well I'm "upgrading" from my Wharfedale Diamond 9.2/Marantz PM7003 setup to this, hoping it'll sound cleaner. Not sure how else to put it.

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
Shanka:
Hi,

Was doing some demos recently and heard the 685's with a Naim 5i and they sounded fabulous to me, good luck

I can attest to this statement as I have this combo. I've never heard my 685's sound as great as they do with the Naim 5i.

A

Anonymous

I have the exact setup and find it to work great. The amp doesn't struggle at all and the sound is clean. Insanely clean. If the speakers are properly positioned, the bass starts to be truly vivid, which is quite a rare thing to achieve. I've tried the speakers with other amps, but was fairly disappointed until I heard the audiolab.

A

Anonymous

TechMan:I have the exact setup and find it to work great.
The amp doesn't struggle at all and the sound is clean. Insanely clean.
If the speakers are properly positioned, the bass starts to be truly
vivid, which is quite a rare thing to achieve. I've tried the speakers
with other amps, but was fairly disappointed until I heard the
audiolab.

Thats great news, thanks!

I'm now juggling between the 8200A or the 8000P/Q combo to drive these speakers

Thoughts?

AKMH

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Hello h20xide,

I very recently auditioned the B&W 685s with the Cambridge Audio 840E/840W pre/power combo at WestCoast HiFi. They sounded very good and well-controlled, taking note that the Cambridge Audio setup is rated at 200W per channel, twice the 685s maximum rated output. I eventually acquired the Cambridge Audio 840A integrated amp (120W/channel) and B&W 684's, preferring the more expansive sound of the floor-standers. The 840A drives my 684s as expected with great sound-staging and imaging. Just wondering if you have also considered the Yamaha A-S500 (80W) which should be well within your budget? They should drive the 685s reasonably well although I have not auditioned this particular amp myself. Also curious if you have discovered an Audiolab dealer in Perth? The distributer (AV Revolution) advised that there are none as yet, so I had to purchase my 8200CD from Sydney HIFi Mona Vale and have it shipped across.

A

Anonymous

AKMH:
Hello h20xide,

I very recently auditioned the B&W 685s with the Cambridge Audio 840E/840W pre/power combo at WestCoast HiFi. They sounded very good and well-controlled, taking note that the Cambridge Audio setup is rated at 200W per channel, twice the 685s maximum rated output. I eventually acquired the Cambridge Audio 840A integrated amp (120W/channel) and B&W 684's, preferring the more expansive sound of the floor-standers. The 840A drives my 684s as expected with great sound-staging and imaging. Just wondering if you have also considered the Yamaha A-S500 (80W) which should be well within your budget? They should drive the 685s reasonably well although I have not auditioned this particular amp myself. Also curious if you have discovered an Audiolab dealer in Perth? The distributer (AV Revolution) advised that there are none as yet, so I had to purchase my 8200CD from Sydney HIFi Mona Vale and have it shipped across.

Hey mate, I'll definitely be picking Audiolab over Cambridge Audio. Not to mention I've heard good things with these two brands paired up. In regards to stockists of Audiolab, both Caxton and Apollo respectively. Thats right, none in Perth.

I'll most likely use the 8200CD as a dac, that or a Bel Canto.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts