B&W 684 vs. MA RS6 using yamaha receiver

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey ladies and gentlemen,

I'm planning to upgrade my jbl (e60) speakers to b&w 684's or Monitor Audio RS6's. I've got a yamaha rxv659 which is a European version.

I'm wondering if you have any experience with the combination of yamaha and b&w or yamaha and monitor audio.

I've listened (for a short time) to those speakers using a NAD receiver and it was very difficult which of the two I liked the most.

Unfortunately I was not able to listen to those speakers using a yamaha receiver. In that store they don't sell yamaha receivers.

I'm curious about your opinion of the combination of those brands.

For example: Would the combination of yamaha and MA sound to bright?

I've also got a audiolab 8000p power amplifier. Will this make a difference on those speakers?

Which combination would you prefer and why?

Regards,

Mastermano

A

Anonymous

Take your amp (and source) to the store and try them. If they won't allow it, don't buy from them. Buy what sounds right on the day. Enjoy!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Mastermano"]Would the combination of yamaha and MA sound to bright?[/quote]

Yes, very likely.

[quote user="Mastermano"]I've also got a audiolab 8000p power amplifier. Will this make a difference on those speakers?[/quote]

Audiolab will do the job a lot better.

RS6 are very capable speakers. Probably better than 684. But, I'd go with B&W in your case. If you do buy RS6, you'd definitely need to hook it up through your Audiolab.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I've listened to both the 684's and the RS6's and the B&W's to me were far superior.

They had much better bass control, fast and punchy, the mid-range was brilliant and the treble was well controlled and not clinical or tinny as i found the RS6's to be.

The RS6's bass was good but a little sloppy i felt and the mid-range was just as good as the B&W's.

I've no experience of your Yahama receiver/amp but i did audition both the B&W's and the M/A speakers with Audiolab Integrated and Power as well as my Arcam amp set-up and Rotel RA-06 integrated and power also.

It also depends on what music you listen to. I auduitioned the speakers/amps with Leftfield, Underworld, Hed Kandi, Pink Floyd and Iron Maiden - Covering all angles of my eclectic taste in music.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your replies.

I indeed had in mind to take my yamaha receiver and audiolab to the store.

Unfortunately the store is not nearby and there are not a lot of stores in the Netherlands where they sell both Monitor Audio and B&W 600 speakers. I don't like to transport my components because of possible damage.

But if I want to know what sounds best, I have to :D

I often listen to pop and dance music. But I've got a broad taste so honestly I listen to all kind of music.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts