B&W 606/607 sucks, not worth 5 stars

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MusicFan

Mar 8, 2024
Visit site
I have a number of B&W speakers: the 606 S1, 607 S1, 685 S2, and 686 S2, along with the big center speaker for the 68x series. The thing that surprised me about the 607 and 607 speaker is that they actually sound really good with the Sony STR-DH190, a very inexpensive receiver. Somehow, the darker nature of the STR-DH190 tames the savage breast of the 606/607 speakers. With the price of all of these items now, it's quite a good low-cost system. I tried the 606/607 with much more expensive amplifiers, but never liked them as much as I do with the STR-DH190. Go figure. Maybe go try it, lol.

AJM1981

I have experience with the rather old B&W DM6 Mark 2 and the DM602/S3; the first one was quite balanced, the latter did not measure that well; but no one really seemed to care about it .Even won an award in its days. It had a huge bass port. It was a rock / hiphop speaker if I may put a stamp on it. It kind of enriched these types of music in a way my current speakers do not, it had an addicting bit of extra punch.. obviously.

About the model mentioned here. I also don't believe its a bad speaker given the mixed opinions. But what I do believe is that B&W cannot really do anything wrong given the huge userbase. When any other manufacturer would be probably washed away in criticism and one or two notes somewhere would already destroy it, the audiophile / B&W community will simply think 'if it doesn't work out well, let's make it work out well' and say 'just pair it with something that counters the things mentioned'. The audiophile world is an interesting one.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS