B&W 601,602 & 685

Tristy

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi

At the moment I have a pair of B&W 601 S3s running from a Denon AVR 1911 using QED Silver Anniversary bi-wire

Im looking to upgrade to have some extra bottom end. I dont have room for floorstanders.

So I was looking at either the 602 S3s or the newer 685s.

Anyone care to shed some light on what I should do?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I've had a set of 601 S3's & thought the bass was pretty good. Was running them off an Arcam Alpha 9 Amp & Cambridge Audio Azur 640C. Think maybe you should consider trying another amp or source first. I tried an Arcam FMJ AV amp once with them & the bass was awful which surprised me

Tristy

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys.

The 602 S3s dont come up for sale often :(

Ive only just upgraded to the Denon 1911. Dont get me wrong the bass is very good. But I know I can get it deaper by upgrading. Looking at the frequency resposne of the speakers show this.

The 602 and 685 are very close on paper.

A

Anonymous

602 s3, utterly fabulous. i will never part with mine! good luck finding some as they are superb.

hyettdman

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Tristy, Try some other speaker cable, the qed silver anniversary does lack a little bottom end itself. Try some qed xt350 speaker cable on your speakers, that will give them a bass lift, as well as sounding better too. I used both cables before so i know how they sound ,and on b&w speakers as well.

A

Anonymous

Hi Tristy.

I have a 1911 with 602 s3 at the front and 601 s3 at the rear. I couldnt get the smooth bass you are chasing until I bought a dedicated 2 channel amp.

It made such a difference even though up until that point the 1911 with 603 was the best system I had owned. I could never go back now though. The 1911 doesn't have an option to run a seperate amp, so i bought a Beresford speaker switch so only have one pair of fronts

I use chord carnival cable with chord crimson plus ic's

Tristy

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys for your replies :) Sorry for slow reply, been away.

But whilst been away a Pair of 685s have arrived. I couldnt find any 602 S3s, was looking for a while. But typical there are a few on ebay now!! Oh well. If I dont like the 685s I can easily sell them on ebay for the same price the 602s come up for.

I will try them tomorrow night and see how the 685 sound.

My brothers tried them at parents and he said they lack the sonic ability and sound my 601 S3s have. But hes only heard the S3s at my house on stands filled with sand etc. The 685s hes tried in his bedroom placed on top of a table. Not quite a fair test.

We will see tomorrow night.

Tristy said:
Thanks guys for your replies :) Sorry for slow reply, been away.

But whilst been away a Pair of 685s have arrived. I couldnt find any 602 S3s, was looking for a while. But typical there are a few on ebay now!! Oh well. If I dont like the 685s I can easily sell them on ebay for the same price the 602s come up for.

I will try them tomorrow night and see how the 685 sound.

My brothers tried them at parents and he said they lack the sonic ability and sound my 601 S3s have. But hes only heard the S3s at my house on stands filled with sand etc. The 685s hes tried in his bedroom placed on top of a table. Not quite a fair test.

We will see tomorrow night.

Hi Tristy

If 602 S3's are now available then try and get a pair asap and then move on the 685's. 602 S3's :twisted: are still excellent speakers. They rock :rockout:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Tristy

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
lol Rick :)

I better get to it then haha

How do you find the 602s better?

Everyones ears are different so I take peoples comments on forums and revies with a pinch of salt. But Ive seen a mix of comments, some say 602s sound fuller. Others say 685 has better detail etc. 685s have better bass tightness. 602 does lower etc

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts