B&W 6 series - which one? and what to power them with?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I think this is a heart vs brain question. My heart is set on buying a pair of B&W 683's floorstanders and a ROTEL RA-05 (IA) to power it. But my brain says (a) the speakers are too big for my 5m x 4m (16' x 13') room, and (b) the amp isn't powerful enough.

With what I think is a medium size room, the speakers would have to go against one wall, and the couch against the opposite wall (thus not giving the ideal breathing space around the speakers).

So I need help deciding if

(a) should I go down to the smaller 684 floorstanders, or even the larger sized 685 bookshelf speakers.

(b) should I upsize the amp to the RA-06 or bigger. I've heard the ROTEL goes well with B&W, being part of the same group, but perhaps there's something else out there to power the speakers, which I've overlooked? I'm not planning on playing CDs at high volume, but would a bigger amp improve the lower volume quality? Or is power just about volume? (my novice questions coming out here!)

A

Anonymous

meant to say, spec wise, the RA-05 power output is 40 watts/ch vs the RA-06 power output of 70 watts/ch.

Speakers recommend 100 watts / 150 watts / 200 watts for the 685 / 684 / 683 respectively.

matthewpiano

Don't worry, those figures are the maximum power handling, NOT the recommended amplifier power.

In your room I'd certainly go for the 685s over the floorstanders, and mount them on a pair of Partington Dreadnoughts. The 685s are very controlled, detailed and well balanced, if a little safe. Excellent all-rounders but with plenty of competition at the price. With that final point in mind, have you actually auditioned any of the B&W 6 series?? If not, you need to do so, preferably comparing them against comparably priced alternatives. For the 685s, the main competition would be Epos M5s, Mordaunt-Short Mezzo 2, Dali Ikon 1, and Usher S520s. I'd give the Quad 11Ls a miss because they aren't the best at low volumes.

In terms of amplifier, the RA-04/RA-05 (they are the same amp but the 05 has the remote) would be fine. Also worth looking at the Creek Evolution and the NAD C355. I wouldn't be tempted to go down to the C326BEE. That amp (and its predecessor) works better when coupled with entry level speakers (£150-£200 level).

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Hi dom_t,

I have the 683s and love them... but... they need a big room or I think they would be overwhelming. I have heard the 684s but not the standmount 685s. I listened to the 683s and 684s with lots of amps. I found both sounded better (to my ears) with a somewhat brighter amp than my previous Arcam system - hence the Cyrus gear. Just my 2 cents.

D

A

Anonymous

thanks for the responses. I think I'm heading down the 685 route.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:I wouldn't be tempted to go down to the C326BEE. That amp (and its predecessor) works better when coupled with entry level speakers (£150-£200 level).

:O do you not think this partners well with the 685's?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Manchesto:
matthewpiano:I wouldn't be tempted to go down to the C326BEE. That amp (and its predecessor) works better when coupled with entry level speakers (£150-£200 level).

:O do you not think this partners well with the 685's?

Your signature would suggest you should know the answer to this. It is what YOU are happy with that counts.

The WHF 5 star review suggested partnering the NAD C326BEE with speakers under the £500 mark. (Not entry level)

Quote,,,,

"But if you keep your partnering speakers below the £500 mark you'll find this amp to be nigh-on faultless"

A

Anonymous

Very true chebby, my apologies. I've read that review countless times aswell..... lol

i'm becoming very indecisive having waited over a month and maybe upto another month for my 685's to arrive... =[

A

Anonymous

Hi,

This is my first post, so be nice! :)

I recently auditioned the 684s in a room that was just under 5m x 4m, and they were more than powerful enough (paired with the Roksan Kandy K2 amp and Rega Apollo CDP).

I was thinking about listening to the 683s too, but the budget was already at full stretch; I didn't want to hear them, love them and then feel cheated at opting for 'second best', so I decided to avoid them altogether (how brave, eh?) Based on the performance of the 684s, I think the 683s probably would have been overkill anyway.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts