B & O or not?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Good morning all,

If possible, I would appreciate some guidance regarding the purchase of a new CD system. Rightly or wrongly I have for many years yearned for a B & O system.

I appreciate that they are not by any means the best value for money / quality in the market place but do aspire to the styling and the wow factor of a piece of furniture as well as a 'reasonable' sound system.

The system I am considering is the BeoSound 3200 player coupled with BeoLab 3 (stand mounted) speakers + iPod connection.

I like the neatness of the player and the compactness of the speakers which I intend to place each side of the TV to also be used for cinema sound etc. The facility for storing the CDs on a hard drive as they are played also appeals.

The room layout ie the need / preference to have them each side of the TV (and my wife's aversion to large speakers) is proving some what limiting.

I am slightly worried about going down the B & O route for two reasons…..one the price (around 6K!!) and two the fact that these systems don't seem to be included in any popular reviews. How good are they and how do they compare to the opposition?

If I'm prepared to pay the price, is it the right (or at least not completely the wrong) thing to do?

Am I completely mad and should I be spending less money on a 'better' but also compact system such as that offered by Cyrus?!!

Any advice / help / guidance would be very much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

There is no doubt that you would get something that sounds better or that kind of money. Isn't this always the case?

If you have always wanted one and have the money then Id say go for it. ou'll strugle to et something that is as nicely finished as the B&Os. There customer service is also second to none so I believe.

Ive always wanted a set of Beolab 8000 speakers and Beosound 9000 cdp.. One of these days I might just sell all my kit and do it!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
B&O make superb systems that - in my experience - look and sound great.

Don't worry about what other people think. I envy you having the money and (presumably) compatible decor to seriously consider B&O.

Go to your nearest B&O showroom and arrange a demo if you haven't already.

A full-blown B&O AV system is on my 'lottery list'.

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Roger,

I have a Beoenter 9000 system and several sets of B&O speakers. Although this is now 'obsolete' and incompatible with the latest B&O control systems it's an iconic joy to look at and still a great pleasure to use. Don't dither, just do it !

A

Anonymous

If you want a nice piece of furniture buy a nice piece of furniture. If you want Hifi buy Hifi - this isn't it! The audio quality of this can be had (probably exceeded) at about 150 quid per component. Sorry...

A

Anonymous

Personally not my preference but if you want it go buy it, no need to seek approval from this motley bunch...........

A

Anonymous

Kevin1:
If you want a nice piece of furniture buy a nice piece of furniture. If you want Hifi buy Hifi - this isn't it! The audio quality of this can be had (probably exceeded) at about 150 quid per component. Sorry...

Award for most ridiculous post of the year goes to.................

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Kevin1:

Would be interested to learn where/how you came to that conclusion?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Sizzers:Kevin1:If you want a nice piece of furniture buy a nice piece of furniture. If you want Hifi buy Hifi - this isn't it! The audio quality of this can be had (probably exceeded) at about 150 quid per component.

From 'some bloke down the pub' by the look of it.

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
chebby:

Sizzers:Kevin1:If you want a nice piece of furniture buy a nice piece of furniture. If you want Hifi buy Hifi - this isn't it! The audio quality of this can be had (probably exceeded) at about 150 quid per component.

From 'some bloke down the pub' by the look of it.

+1

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Kevin1:

Kevin, Kevin, Kevin!! This is Bang & Olufsen, not Bose. Be honest, have you EVER heard any B&O system?

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi Roger,

Judging by the sound of the beolab 5 that I once heard B&O makes great sound systems. Another plus is that they look great.

If I had 6000 pounds to spend I would consider a 2nd hand beolab 9. It's got some great reviews and I suspect it will be a big step up from the beolab 3.

Best is to listen for yourself. No advice can replace a first hand experience.

Trefor Patten

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Definitely go for it if it floats your boat. B&O make really GREAT sounding equipment, what upsets hi-fi geeks like myself is that they can't afford it. Yes, you can have something that looks 'orrible and sounds better for less money, but you will only get something that sounds CONSIDERABLY better for more or similar money. Example, many serious hifi mags have rated Beolab 9s as seriously good active speakers you can get an active system for about half the price from AVI which sounds as good. It does not look as stylish however. You have to live with it and that means seeing as well as hearing. Go ahead have your heart's desire.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts