B&O H8 review and feedback

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Yesterday, i listened to these headphones for a good hour. My comparison was the klipsch x10 in ears.

Before I lstened to them, I was 90% sure on buying them, but now I'm not so sure. Let me explain. First the good: they reveal every detail on your track, are never harsh and have a great bass extension. The buikd quality is second to none. The bad? There is one thing that is bothering me and that is that the sound signature seems to favour chamber music, laid back music over up-tempo, energetic, enthousiastic music. Every detail is there but something is missing when playing pop, dance or rock.

My main question is: is this temporarily vecause they were brand new or is this something of a sound signature. Anyone who experienced the same with b&o headphones?

D

Deleted member 2457

I found that the B&O H6's hurt my ears after listening to them for long periods. The sound was pretty good.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The H8 costs more than the H6, yet unlike the around-ear and very comfy H6, the H8 appears to be on-ear. But in spite of what on-ear means to the sound (generally pinched or constricted), you do have to break them in over a period of days to be sure.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for you for your kind replies. It helps to know what others have experienced.

@Gel: the H8 sounded different to me than what you describe with the H6. The H8 seemed somewhat restricted in the high notes. By the way-since I noticed this almost immediately I asked. The salesperson assured me it shouldn't matter if they were run in or not. My experience with speakers and headphones is just the opposite. (They looked brandnew.) I will probably go back in a few weeks to check them out again. Am a bit confused.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
@Dalethorn: I didn't know that the H6 were circumaural. I kind of assumed that the H8 and H6 are the same bar the aptX functionality! The H8 did sound constricted in dynamics and tweeter extension but also revealing of details. Much like there was a veil over the sound if that makes sense. Is that a signature of a brand new headphone that needs use to sound better?

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Superaintit said:
@Dalethorn: I didn't know that the H6 were circumaural. I kind of assumed that the H8 and H6 are the same bar the aptX functionality! The H8 did sound constricted in dynamics and tweeter extension but also revealing of details. Much like there was a veil over the sound if that makes sense. Is that a signature of a brand new headphone that needs use to sound better?

If you google "B&O H6" and scroll through the images for awhile, you can see the relative size of the earpad openings and the part that rests on your head (or for large ears, may rest partly on part of your ears), then google "B&O H8" and note the relatively small openings and how much larger the pads are that rest on your ears. They try to hide that in most of the photos, but take a good look and you'll see. As a rule (and there are exceptions) the on-ears have more constriction and colorations than around-ears. But, burn-in does make a real difference, and sometimes it's a lot, so any test headphones should get some serious play time before making a decision.

D

Deleted member 2457

dalethorn said:
gel said:
I am now going to buy the B&W P5 Series 2.

I've been using it as my no. 1 portable for weeks now - love it. It has just the right warmth, for portable use it's great.
Thanks!

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I thought I'd give an update with my latest findings.
Today I auditioned the H8 and H6 at another store. I found the H8 much more open sounding than the previous time. The treble was there and all details were easily audible. I still have some concerns with overbearing bass though...
Apparently that bassy presentation is partly due to the on ear design and partly because of tuning.
The H6 I listened to for reference was very different: more neutral and open sounding.
This leaves me with the dilemma that I want the sound of the H6 but the bluetooth functionality of the H8...

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Superaintit said:
I thought I'd give an update with my latest findings. Today I auditioned the H8 and H6 at another store. I found the H8 much more open sounding than the previous time. The treble was there and all details were easily audible. I still have some concerns with overbearing bass though... Apparently that bassy presentation is partly due to the on ear design and partly because of tuning. The H6 I listened to for reference was very different: more neutral and open sounding. This leaves me with the dilemma that I want the sound of the H6 but the bluetooth functionality of the H8...

I'd go for it, but I'd also make sure I can trim the upper bass more than the lower bass, since that's usually where the emphasis is.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
dalethorn said:
Superaintit said:
I thought I'd give an update with my latest findings. Today I auditioned the H8 and H6 at another store. I found the H8 much more open sounding than the previous time. The treble was there and all details were easily audible. I still have some concerns with overbearing bass though... Apparently that bassy presentation is partly due to the on ear design and partly because of tuning. The H6 I listened to for reference was very different: more neutral and open sounding. This leaves me with the dilemma that I want the sound of the H6 but the bluetooth functionality of the H8...

I'd go for it, but I'd also make sure I can trim the upper bass more than the lower bass, since that's usually where the emphasis is.
I decided against buying as I'm not convinced by their sound versus their price. Will stick with klipsch in ears and sennheiser overears for now.

AnnaReviewer

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
I've always been a fan of B&O products, and so I looked forward to trying the new H8 headphones - and I'm happy to say that they are everything I hoped they would be.*i-m_so_happy*

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
AnnaReviewer said:
I've always been a fan of B&O products, and so I looked forward to trying the new H8 headphones - and I'm happy to say that they are everything I hoped they would be.*i-m_so_happy*

So what name are you today? Anna Reves, Anna Bunlin, or AnnaReviewer?

https://twitter.com/annareviewer

https://www.facebook.com/gamingheadsetreview

Or AnnaSpammer?

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
As a B&O owner I would advice people to be cautious to buy the H8 based on recommendations alone.

The H8 in their current form have too many flaws and a premium price. They look the part but have limited range on bluetooth, which reportedly drops out intermittently with some users, have a background hiss and an overbearing bass that smears the midrange. Best alternatives are B&O H6, philips bluetooth phones, Bose noisecancelling phones. Each with their own strength and as good or better than the H8 in current form. I will wait for an update on the H8 or look elsewhere.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I just read the what hifi review and felt an urge to post something to put things in perspective. Yes, they are beautiful and exude class but they have their problems.
I heard them, they definately had a hiss.
The touch controls were hit and miss. Just a nice feature imo.
The bass is so much emphasized that it was far from neutral or pleasant.
There is definately a thud every time I took a step. Not a minor thing for a noice cancelling headphone.
All in all I can understand why they get 4 stars but I really think that what hifi is so kind in their wording they almost seem to sweep the defects under the carpet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts