AVR preout to stereo amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Folks,

Currently I am owning Denon avr 1905 with Wharfy Diamond 9 7.0 set up. Sub is REL. Front is Diamond 9.1s and the denon is under perform in my opinion. Would like to add a stereo amp to improve the stereo image. I presume the denon is able to preout to CA? Currently eyeing on CA A5 which goes for 120 pound at Richer Sounds. Question is will this fit the job? I am afraid the result will not be significant.

I am on business trip to UK and will be home in 3 weeks time. Audition is impossible at the moment cause rushing projects days and nights.

Appreciate any advice given. Cheers.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
winyip:
Hi Folks,

Currently I am owning Denon avr 1905 with Wharfy Diamond 9 7.0 set up. Sub is REL. Front is Diamond 9.1s and the denon is under perform in my opinion. Would like to add a stereo amp to improve the stereo image. I presume the denon is able to preout to CA? Currently eyeing on CA A5 which goes for 120 pound at Richer Sounds. Question is will this fit the job? I am afraid the result will not be significant.

I am on business trip to UK and will be home in 3 weeks time. Audition is impossible at the moment cause rushing projects days and nights.

Appreciate any advice given. Cheers.

The 1905 does have pre outs for the front and left channels which you will need. However, I reckon that the A5 will not give much improvement if at all to your stereo sound.

A

Anonymous

Hmmm,

The A5 is rated at 60 watt per channel into 8 ohms. Should I get the highest I could afford? And what could be the main key when searching for a stereo amp?

I heard that alot of power needed to drive the 9.1s. Even a forumer paired the 9.1 with Naim amp and cdp and he is very very satisfy with it. Wondering how much should I spend to get the best out of it.

Mainly listened to Dean Martin, Beattles, Madonna alike. Source are pc and dvdp through external DAC if that helps.

One point to add though, even my girlfriend claimed that the 9.1 doesn't sounds good. Woooow, a stab to the heart...

Cheers

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
winyip:
Hmmm,

The A5 is rated at 60 watt per channel into 8 ohms. Should I get the highest I could afford? And what could be the main key when searching for a stereo amp?

I heard that alot of power needed to drive the 9.1s. Even a forumer paired the 9.1 with Naim amp and cdp and he is very very satisfy with it. Wondering how much should I spend to get the best out of it.

Mainly listened to Dean Martin, Beattles, Madonna alike. Source are pc and dvdp through external DAC if that helps.

One point to add though, even my girlfriend claimed that the 9.1 doesn't sounds good. Woooow, a stab to the heart...

Cheers

The 9.1s will definitely sound better through a stereo amp. I would look at spending £200-£250 - go second hand if you have to. I wouldn't worry about the wattage. You can get amps like the Rotel RA-04 which is only 40w per channel but is a much better amp than the A5. You could check out ebay for the Denon PMA-700AE - that's a nice amp at around the £200 mark. Otherwise, the usual suspects, Marantz, Nad, Cambridge Audio, Rotel, all do good budget amps between £200-£300 and would be a decent step up from the A5.

A

Anonymous

why not try a stereo power amp for your 2 channel music
you can get musical fidelity x-a50 mono amps for around £300 mark on ebay
i use this method myself just connect pre outs to the power amp and away you go
this beats av amp easily sound wise

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys for your precious feedback. This Sunday I will be going to Southampton and there is a Richer Sounds, hopefully to get an audition on NAD C325BEE or CA. I kinda like Rotel RA-04 but don't think Richer Sounds carry it. Found it at Superfi and ebay though.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
dvdaudio:why not try a stereo power amp for your 2 channel music
you can get musical fidelity x-a50 mono amps for around £300 mark on ebay
i use this method myself just connect pre outs to the power amp and away you go
this beats av amp easily sound wise

I second this I run some Marantz MA6100 Monoblocks off of my SR5300 AV amp (AV AMP in Source Direct) For stereo, the results are excellent and you still have an integrated solution, if you have a stereo Integrated you have the hassle of setting volune for different sources.

See if you can demo an Integrated amp and an AV amp driving a Stereo Power amp.

A

Anonymous

I am just wondering which is the better companion for Wharfy 9.1s, NAD 325BEE or Rotel RA-04?

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

So which stereo integrateds have a power amp input setting? So that you can connect the pre-outs from an AVR to it, but also connect directly a CD player for stereo use, as a full integrated amp when you need to?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts