AVR on a budget help

JF2020

Feb 9, 2021
Visit site
On a budget and would like to buy an AVR system that has a Phono connection
Should I go for a model that has atmos? or any of the used models have seen on eBay still worth getting

It would be for a small room probably 12x12ft and 5.1 surround speakers, if atmos these would be purchased later on

:)
Would like to possibly connect my Sony DHC-MD373 mini Hifi CD/MD that has Tape out Red & White don't know if this is possible to do

or do i go for new at the lower end such as the Sony or Yamaha under £400

Gray

Would like to possibly connect my Sony DHC-MD373 mini Hifi CD/MD that has Tape out Red & White don't know if this is possible to do.
Yes it is.
Connect to any analogue, line-level aux input on the AV amp.
It will be a fixed level out of the Sony, so its volume would be controlled on the AV amp.

(Depending on the quality of your turntable / cartridge, a separate, low cost phono preamp might be an option for you - so that you don't have to limit your choice of AV amp to ones with built-in preamps).

Reactions: JF2020

treesey

If you want to go really cheap, and that's less than 100 GBP on well-known auction sites, for the past six? years I have used a Yamaha DSP-AX763 that is very good at music. 2008 era, but they built them well. https://www.whathifi.com/yamaha/dsp-ax763/review

But if you want a serious step-up, and currently on sale at around 400 GBP (and obviously there are risks in any 2nd-hand kit), the more recent Pioneer SC-LX87 received universal praise and especially for the 'sound'. Effortless but not harsh Class-D amplification, I recommend it.

NB the earlier lx86 was considered too bright, and the later ones don't seem to draw as high praise, but DYOR :)

Reactions: JF2020

record_spot

Onkyo TX-NR818 if you want a good music AV amp, but with plenty of beef and a pre-out option if you add actives, or a separate power amp in due course. I was delighted with mine when I had it, back in 2014. Compared very well with Leema's Pulse, Exposure's 3010s and Harman Kardon's HK990 stereo integrated amps when trialled it years ago. If you find a near mint, or well looked after model (maybe even NOS) - then snap it up. It originally sold for £1000, but you'd get it for (possibly well) under £300 now I'd guess.

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I had a Denon AVR-X3300W that I really liked, great sound and simple setup all onscreen speaker layout and for atmos asked position and distance from ceiling if firing up all with onscreen video. Also preouts for all channels. I had a quick on ebay there aren't any but the newer version the 3400 is on at £275.

Or the AVR-X2300W are bidding at £150+

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts