admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

after years (decades) of being a hifi "enthusiast" that has entailed numerous, CD players, amps & a plethora of speakers, some that have lasted months, some years, l have decided to go active with the AVI's.

l listen to, mainly Spotify (premium) with a laptop (Windows), CDP 150 DAC, Creek Evo amp & Epos M5i speakers.

Though the sytem is OK, l still find it lacks that detail & presence & has that "vail" between you & the music.

l have heard the AVI's, in the earlier version when they first came out & was tempted then however, at that stage l had a 2K system that l thought was good. The AVI's though intially expensive, do present with good value, when you consider you are getting the speakers, powerful amps & a top notch DAC.

Initially, l would be simple using a 3.5mm jack from the laptop headphone socket, to the analogue phono inputs on the AVI's. Following this, it has been suggested that the Apple Airport Express & Airfoil download would enable me to listen to Spotify wirelessly through the laptop. Another alternative would be the Logitech SqueezeBox.

Opinions regarding the AVI's & connection options would be welcome & views from AVI ADM9T owners experience with them especially.

Thank you in advance.

PS l have applied to the AVI HDD music forum & await acceptance.

A

Anonymous

Hi chesterfieldhouse

I will give you my opinion based on my own experiences and preferences.

For me the 9.1Ts replaced a pair of Spendor SA1s with Quad amplification. The change certainly removed a veil from the midrange and treble, providing an incredibly accurate and holographic image. The SA1s were/are very good speakers but they have a coloured upper bass and slightly rolled off treble. Some like this and actively seek it. The overall clarity presented by the 9.1Ts is breathtaking and still, a year on from purchase, surprises me everyday. Lastly, the bass has considerably more control and subsequent detail over my last system (ignoring the ADM sub).

I use an Airport Express and optical connection to the speakers. I stream from a Dell PC using iTunes and Spotify with the help of a little app called Airfoil. If I were buying today I'd grab an Apple TV2 instead as it provides this functionality but also adds the TV benefits for much the same cost.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with the AVIs. Other brands of home-orientated actives are available too and may be worth a look. If I were buying again I'd have another pair without hesitation; outstanding product. I accept that not everyone agrees with me.

:cheers:

PS These new emoticons are great fun. These ones sum me up when listening to my speakers.... :bounce: :dance: :clap:

PPS These ones sum up my wife when I'm listening to my speakers.... :)

|(

:poke:

igglebert said:
Hi chesterfieldhouse

I will give you my opinion based on my own experiences and preferences.

For me the 9.1Ts replaced a pair of Spendor SA1s with Quad amplification. The change certainly removed a veil from the midrange and treble, providing an incredibly accurate and holographic image. The SA1s were/are very good speakers but they have a coloured upper bass and slightly rolled off treble. Some like this and actively seek it. The overall clarity presented by the 9.1Ts is breathtaking and still, a year on from purchase, surprises me everyday. Lastly, the bass has considerably more control and subsequent detail over my last system (ignoring the ADM sub).

I use an Airport Express and optical connection to the speakers. I stream from a Dell PC using iTunes and Spotify with the help of a little app called Airfoil. If I were buying today I'd grab an Apple TV2 instead as it provides this functionality but also adds the TV benefits for much the same cost.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with the AVIs. Other brands of home-orientated actives are available too and may be worth a look. If I were buying again I'd have another pair without hesitation; outstanding product. I accept that not everyone agrees with me.

:cheers:

PS These new emoticons are great fun. These ones sum me up when listening to my speakers.... :bounce: :dance: :clap:

PPS These ones sum up my wife when I'm listening to my speakers.... :)

|(

:poke:

Welcome back, Iggs.

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi, just to reinforce the post above, I bought the AVI ADM9.1s as a 2nd system, but they ended up replacing the '1st' system that cost about £8k as, to my ears, they so comprehensively outperformed it.

I use a Squeezebox Touch into the ADMs + AVI sub which is great for music only, like Igglebert if you're interested in a combined AV system I'd look at the ATV2.

I think it's fine to start out with a cheap analogue cable from your laptop to the ADMs, but you may find the laptop output a bit noisy (I do).

Btw, you might be interested to know that AVI are about to launch a new floorstander, could be worth holding out for?

A

Anonymous

Thank you both for your replies.

It seems that you are both very happy & contented with the ADM's. They are what l'm after, clean & clear, with controlled bass. l will make the effort & go into Five Ways Hi Fi & have a listen.

l see that the connection cable between the two speakers is a 5 metre single phono lead, or that's what it looks like. l may need a slightly longer lead, if l want to place it out of sight. What sort of quality is it? Are there any considerations here?

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Yes, very happy, I'm amazed at how good they sound, but in the past they have polarised opinion, in part due to the claims made by the manufacturer. Owning a pair, I don't the claims are unfounded, but many remain sceptical.

A good listen prior to purchase is always a good idea.

The interconnect from master to slave is good quality, i needed some longer ones too, but skimped and ended up with hum on the slave speaker. I'm back with the original ones now and the hum has gone away.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
chesterfieldhouse said:
l see that the connection cable between the two speakers is a 5 metre single phono lead, or that's what it looks like. l may need a slightly longer lead, if l want to place it out of sight. What sort of quality is it? Are there any considerations here?

This should do the trick and gives you 10 metres to play with...

www.cables4all.co.uk/10-metre-rca-subwoofer-cable-140-p.asp

...at less than a tenner it's a bargain. (It is also fully screened.)

AVI are noted for not placing undue emphasis on so called 'audiophile' cable so I am sure it will be suitable.

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
>Initially, l would be simple using a 3.5mm jack from the laptop headphone socket, to the analogue phono inputs on the AVI's.<

Yikes! Awful, awful results are sure to follow. I'd budget for a MF V-LINK II USB to S/PDIF, around £200.

A

Anonymous

......or l could use my CDP 150 DAC - USB from laptop - analogue out to the AVI's, as a starter.

A

Anonymous

amcluesent said:
>Initially, l would be simple using a 3.5mm jack from the laptop headphone socket, to the analogue phono inputs on the AVI's.<

Yikes! Awful, awful results are sure to follow. I'd budget for a MF V-LINK II USB to S/PDIF, around £200.

That's an option but an AEX is less than half the cost and will provide a wireless link to the network and a bit perfect optical out.

A

Anonymous

just had another look at the CYP DAC, its amazing how you forget things that are out of sight.

It has switchable USB/opticle input, with USB & opticle output. So l will be able to intially have USB input and optical output to the AVI's & consider the Airport Express/Airfoil option later.

Messiah

I can only really echo what Iggle has said really.

The ADM's are simply excellent speakers and punch way above their weight. Personally I think they sound best with a sub so I would bear this in mind. I use an old Yamaha sub with mine and I am perfectly happy with the combination. However the AVI sub is probably the perfect match.

There are always 'wild' claims abour people replacing systems costing 10k etc but take their word for it. I have heard some substantial costing systems and the ADMs easily hold their own.

The other benefit they bring is to put an end to the eternal hi-fi upgrade. The picture in my signature is not up-to-date any more but I simply use a netbook via an onkyo dock into the ADMs. (The Beresford is gone as is the Pioneer DVD player and there is a new unit). All of my expensive cables have been sold and I now get on with enjoying the music.

With all that being (and you will find many glowing reviews about the ADMs) it is always best to decide for yourself so definitely go and audition them.

[EDITED BY MODS – please don't discuss banned members]

stevenjonas

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I have found this thread very interesting.

I currently have an AVI pre-amp, 2 AVI power amps (with AVI Tuner & AVI CD player) & 2 ATC SCM20 speakers. I love my system, although I see the tuner & CD player going as they are replaced with more modern technology.

We are doing work on the lounge & my wife would like to get rid of the wires/cables.

An option would be to replace everything with a pair of ADM9Ts. (I couldn't afford the ADM40s even if they were available yet.)

Is it possible to replace the cable connecting the master ADM9T to its slave?

I would then like to connect our new TV to them - wirelessly. Is this possible?

Then there is a music stremer (Cambridge Audio NP30 or Sonos system?). Can I connect that wirelessly too?

Next a blue-ray player, again wirelessly?

So it goes on, or am I just dreaming?

A

Anonymous

Morning Stevenjonas,

I've raised these questions with some others to get thoughts and input and here's some possible answers:

1. Twin screened microphone cable made up to length of not more than 10 metres from Leads Direct, Newhaven.

2. BD Player connects to a TV and TV's analogue outputs have to be used because if there is a digital, it will be 5.1. I connect my TV to ADMs using a digital optical out.

3. Sonos is considered the best streamer by many and has an optical digital out. The Logitech Squeezebox is good if you have more IT technical skill (apparently!).

4. Use cheap 1.5 mm Optical cable because it's easily hidden and can be routed over long lengths. Going completely wireless isn't an option that I (or anyone else I've asked) think is doable.

5. A lot hold the opinion that an iPad and Apple TV will give you the best overall AV user experience including the Cloud and Match services for music that make things very simple.

6. The ADM 9s have two optical inputs and one analogue input. I used a small (and super cheap) switch box to toggle to rarely used sources. You can also get electronic switch boxes to make things slicker. Some have a remote control that can be combined into a one-for-all thingy.

A

Anonymous

Maybe you could use two or three Airport Expresses! One for BD, one for audio whatever and an analogue output one for something like the TV.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
igglebert said:
Use cheap 1.5 mm Optical cable because it's easily hidden and can be routed over long lengths.

Double sigh: around 5m is about the limit with most equipment. 10m is pushing it, but you may just be lucky if everything is optimal, and you have a following wind.

And no, that's not anything to do with your suggestion of 'cheap 1.5mm optical cable', although cheaply-built cables will tend to transmit light less efficiently than higher-quality ones, due to their use of poorer-quality optical fibres, and connectors with more light-scatter at the interface points. Inexpensive connectors can also fit poorly into the sockets on the sending and receiving units, again disrupting the signal.

Thinner cables also exhibit greater attenuation of the light signal passing through them.

There's also the matter of the power of the transmitting LED and its driver circuit at the sending end, and the sensitivity of the sensor at the receving end, not to mention extra problems caused if cables are run round corners, where more light scatter/loss can be caused. This latter point is also more of a problem with thinner optical cables.

Due to the light signal attenuation in the fiberoptic cables, the transmission distance available using this technique is generally ess than 10 metres, and with some equipment it's only a few metres. That's what it was designed for – not running audio all around the house, nor sending millions of datastreams under the mighty oceans, for which rather superior fibre-optic technology has been designed.

A

Anonymous

Triple sigh. I use 10m (ultra cheap) cables as well as a switch box (£5 delivered) and have no issues with my TV, my ancient DVD player, my AEX and my DAB radio. The only issue ever encountered was the size of the optical connector and it being too large to fit into the ADMs. That was an over expensive cable that I soon flogged because it was pointless. YMMV.

harveymt

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
igglebert said:
2. BD Player connects to a TV and TV's analogue outputs have to be used because if there is a digital, it will be 5.1. I connect my TV to ADMs using a digital optical out.

What happens if you connect a blu ray player or Sky box to ADMs via optical and a 5.1 (possibly HD audio in the case of blu ray) soundtrack is sent to them? Will they play it?

Are there any DACs which woukld handle this and then pass via phono to the ADMs?

daveh75

harveymt said:
What happens if you connect a blu ray player or Sky box to ADMs via optical and a 5.1 (possibly HD audio in the case of blu ray) soundtrack is sent to them? Will they play it?

No. Though you could set the BDP/Skybox to output [2 channel] PCM via optical.

Are there any DACs which woukld handle this and then pass via phono to the ADMs?

No, but you could use an A/V amp with pre-outs.

A

Anonymous

No, it won't play 5.1 DTS at all. My TV and DVD player output 2 channel stereo from the optical outs. There may be a tiny delay when using the TV (not DVD) like this depending on whether you can either live with it (I do) or adjust it in a TV or service menu.

A

Anonymous

harveymt said:
igglebert said:

Assuming the bluray connects to TV via HDMI, and TV to ADMs via optical, I would have thought there is some option to ensure the ADMs see only 2 channel audio. I have this setup on my TV/hifi, with the TV optical out going to the Wadia, which sees 2 channel audio. Not sure if its the TV or bluray that is setup to output only 2 channel audio, or possibly both. IIRC its probably the TV.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
igglebert said:
Triple sigh. I use 10m (ultra cheap) cables as well as a switch box (£5 delivered) and have no issues with my TV, my ancient DVD player, my AEX and my DAB radio. The only issue ever encountered was the size of the optical connector and it being too large to fit into the ADMs. That was an over expensive cable that I soon flogged because it was pointless. YMMV.

Of course...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts