AVI ADM5s. An update from Facebook...

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
J

jcbrum

p.s. except for Spiny Norman, of course. He's got an unhealthy fixation about AVI. ;) - JC

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Macspur said:
John Duncan said:
Only the ones that suggests that chebby and I lacked knowledge.

Well expect Chebby has redeemed himself by opening up this can of worms again and more free advertizing for said product.

Mac

They'll be an OK product, good even, along with many others.

The issue is not the product, it's the attitude of the company, as has been stated by others already.

Still, I guess in AVI's case, any comment, is a good comment in terms of attracting attention - albeit in this case much of it is negative IMV.

Because of that attitude, they'll attract attention for sure, but they'll also make as many enemies as friends, which is very counterproductive IMV.

Quite why they dislike WHF membership and it's mods is a bit of a mystery - perhaps because not everyone goes along with their world view.

As such, it's probably kindest to not offend them by discussing them if at all possible - they have their own forum to do all the proselytising they want, and do.

JMac

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
jcbrum said:
altruistic.lemon said:
I'll happily visit once you/your mate has repealed my ban, re-instated all my posts, allowed freedom of speech for all on his forum, stopped the vendetta against WHF, and outlawed shilling as the only means to promote his products. He could also stop reading "The Daily Mail", but in the interests of fairness I'll make that optional...

Don't hold your breath, lemon. I doubt any of that is likely, but you should ask Ashley (nicely), and see what he says. :roll:

JC

No, your idea, you put it to him, don't run away.

Now, is your master going to advertise, and pay for it, and put these Adam Artist rivals up for review or not? Come on, straight answer, you'll gain some (can't say more) credibility if you answer straight out.

T

the record spot

jcbrum said:
p.s. In addition, RS, I know from running my own businesses that 'build to order only' has a very beneficial impact on the cost and value of 'work in progress' which is an important factor on any balance sheet, and has an impact on taxation too. - JC.

Yes, although from the buyer's perspective, that's perhaps not the first consideration...!

J

jcbrum

HaHa, AVI don't make ememies, they're really nice chaps, and so are their users. Some people choose to try and make enemies of them. :grin:

JC

J

jcbrum

altruistic.lemon said:
jcbrum said:
altruistic.lemon said:
I'll happily visit once you/your mate has repealed my ban, re-instated all my posts, allowed freedom of speech for all on his forum, stopped the vendetta against WHF, and outlawed shilling as the only means to promote his products. He could also stop reading "The Daily Mail", but in the interests of fairness I'll make that optional...

Don't hold your breath, lemon. I doubt any of that is likely, but you should ask Ashley (nicely), and see what he says. :roll:

JC

No, your idea, you put it to him, don't run away.

Now, is your master going to advertise, and pay for it, and put these Adam Artist rivals up for review or not? Come on, straight answer, you'll gain some (can't say more) credibility if you answer straight out.

He's not my master, stop being malicious.

I'm happy to send Ashley an email, - if you and the mods are happy for me to publish his reply, here.

But you could just as easily do that yourself.
smiley-smile.gif

JC

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
jcbrum said:
HaHa, AVI don't make ememies, they're really nice chaps, and so are their users. Some people choose to try and make enemies of them. :grin:

JC

I don't know if it's a cultural thing or what, as you Brits are fairly big on this taking the P*** type argument, but in my culture, if I went into a hotel, and spoke to someone, as Ash has spoken to me online, in public on his forum, and in private email, I'd more than likely be carried out on a stretcher.

I live on the other side of the world, and in a different culture to most of you here, so that's just my take on the matter - and maybe I'm a bit thin skinned to deal with the likes of egotistical alpha male type personalities.

I don't agree that they're really nice chaps - not when it comes to the way they promote their business, - to be fair I cant say anything about Martin, who, from his rare posts seems eminently sensible and respectful of others, but Ash comes across as one of the most egotistical bullies I've ever met online, and very insulting with it in my opinion - whether he is that or not in real life is another matter entirely.

Just my opinion, and my personal experience of him in terms of his online persona.

JMac

J

jcbrum

I don't get banned much (thank goodness), lemon, and usually I get re-instated (thanks JD), so I can post on all the forums that I wish to (touch wood).

However I am going to 'run away' as you describe it. I'm out to dinner tonight, cooking for an old friend who has MS., so I must go and get spruced up and changed, and then make the trip.

JC

J

jcbrum

JMacMan said:
. . . Ash comes across as one of the most egotistical bullies I've ever met online, and very insulting with it in my opinion - whether he is that or not in real life is another matter entirely.

Just my opinion, and my personal experience of him in terms of his online persona.

JMac

Ash is a friendly gentleman, as I'm sure those who've met him will tell you.

Gotta go, and cook.

JC

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
jcbrum said:
I don't get banned much (thank goodness), lemon, and usually I get re-instated (thanks JD), so I can post on all the forums that I wish to (touch wood).

However I am going to 'run away' as you describe it. I'm out to dinner tonight, cooking for an old friend who has MS., so I must go and get spruced up and changed, and then make the trip.

JC

That's very nice of you JC - I hope you see a lot of your friend as MS is a pretty horrible disease. I'm currently visiting a close friend of mine in intensive care, due a heart attack - been on life support for almost a week, and just had part of his bowel removed due infection, but at least he's off the critical list, and downgraded to only 'serious'.

Just to show that is life beyond silly arguments about HiFi brand politics

JMac

manicm

What I find mildly appalling is that there's not much info on the ADM5 on AVI's website itself. Correction, there's NO info at all. Not much of anything about anything really of any of his products. And how does Ashley expect buyers to take him seriously even if his products are good, if he can't even dish up a decent website? And since the scant info on the ADM5 is on Facebook, I'm inclined to think he's using the tedious social media to assemble his new group of sycophants for the new model that nobody else knows about. I'm only cynical because I find his exercise just a tad bit cynical. If it's out of bitterness he needs a few therapy sessions, or public relations lessons.

If you're so enthusiastic about your product push it out properly. Oh, I read here that the ADM40 is on the way out - but you'd never tell from the poor excuse that is the AVI website.

Get with the program, Ashley.

matthewpiano

Small companies generally can't afford advertising. It is incredibly expensive and not always that effective, so I can completely understand why AVI don't throw money at it. Also worth bearing in mind that all the money a company spends on advertising has to be recouped somewhere - in the price of the products.

I agree with manicm that the AVI website could do with being updated though. It would be nice to be able to browse something more up-to-date with more details and more photographs of the product.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Alec said:
lindsayt said:
I think it's a huge overstatement to say that John Duncan has wound the membership up over AVI.

I disagree. And I hope certain expeletive deleteds* over there who think I'm oh-so-anti-AVI all the time see this.

*If you think this means you, then it means you.

Can you or Frog or anyone else provide any examples where John Duncan has done this?

manicm

True Matthew, I wasn't asking for advertising, just to get an updated website. My feeling is Ashley is feeling hard done by, but I for one don't want the agony of going to Facebook to get info on a new hifi product.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I agree with manicm that the AVI website could do with being updated though. It would be nice to be able to browse something more up-to-date with more details and more photographs of the product.

I believe it is in hand .

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Its not expensive to get a professional looking website up and running!

There's only so much a two man company can manage to be fair.... hence the social media and their website/forum being the main marketing methods.

JMac

John Duncan

I can build websites for a sum beginning at £300, depending on complexity. However, just because somebody wants one, they should not consider my willingness to build one for them a foregone conclusion.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Not going to help. No advertising=no business. That's why the ADM 40 venture wasn't a success - has been stopped, by the way - and they can't rely only on existing clients to buy their new speakers and keep them in business.

With the new one, which is like a lot of others, this is highly important, they need to get it advertised and reviewed, assuming it is good. Blustering on the internet isn't going to help a product which arguably has less features that its rivals. If the finish is good, and the sound is also, then that can be the trigger used to create the market.

I mean, how much does it cost to send a loan pair out to reviewers? It's what everybody does, including businesses smaller than AVI such as EB Acoustics. They can't keep up with demand largely because of their positive publicity.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
JMacMan said:
stevebrock said:
Its not expensive to get a professional looking website up and running!

There's only so much a two man company can manage to be fair.... hence the social media and their website/forum being the main marketing methods.

JMac

JMac you pay some one, they know what works, a bit of investment me thinks

I hazard a guess a days work imo

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I can build websites for a sum beginning at £300, depending on complexity. However, just because somebody wants one, they should not consider my willingness to build one for them a foregone conclusion.

:rofl:

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Not going to help. No advertising=no business. That's why the ADM 40 venture wasn't a success - has been stopped, by the way - and they can't rely only on existing clients to buy their new speakers and keep them in business.

With the new one, which is like a lot of others, this is highly important, they need to get it advertised and reviewed, assuming it is good. Blustering on the internet isn't going to help a product which arguably has less features that its rivals. If the finish is good, and the sound is also, then that can be the trigger used to create the market.

I mean, how much does it cost to send a loan pair out to reviewers? It's what everybody does, including businesses smaller than AVI such as EB Acoustics. They can't keep up with demand largely because of their positive publicity.

I would suggest that they do a Microsoft, and Ash should take a back seat, and let JC do a Steve Balmer, and be the public mouthpiece of the business.

I'm sure if Ash spoke nicely to John Duncan, John would build a website for him.

JMac

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft invest lots of money into marketing, whereas AVI depends on forum freebies. I don't wish them ill, but they need to spend.

No point having the best website in the world if no-one knows you exist. A couple of decent reviews and then the ball may start rolling, especially when you're up against not only Adam Audio and Dynaudio amongst others, but also the heavyweight KEF.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts