AVI ADM5s. An update from Facebook...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
jcbrum said:
altruistic.lemon said:
And that is a big problem for AVI. JCB, since you're his right hand many, how about suggesting the God swallows his pride turns to normal marketing for his new product?

HaHa, Ashley doesn't do any 'marketing', he just tells people what he thinks. :)

I'm certainly not his 'right-hand man', - just a happy owner of AVI equipment, - like thousands and thousands of others.

altrustic.lemon said:
I somehow think previous practices, albeit costing virtually nothing, aren't going to work this time, and it would be a shame to see what may be a decent product go to the wall prematurely - I'm guessing that's what happened with the 40, but perhaps you can correct me on that.

You are remarkedly un-informed, or perhaps being deliberately mischieviously assumptive, lemon.

ADM40s are not constant production items, and never were. They are built to order. At the moment 40s are on hold because production capacity is diverted to the new DM5 loudspeakers, for which there is already strong demand, in addition to the other three new items in the new range. ADM9s are to continue, I'm told, but with ongoing R&D.

You, or anyone else, would be able to gain this information simply by asking Ashley, rather than fomenting mischievious innuendo.

JC

As I understood it, built to order meant that the two man factory waited until enough orders came in, before ordering the parts to assemble and package a run of ADM40's in their factory, not that speakers were built on an item by item basis, per individual order.

I'm also lead to believe that this sort of 'built to order' malarky, was the basis for cirumnavigating distance selling rules.

Is this the case on both counts? - I'm simply commenting upon what I've read elsewhere...and believe to be the facts.

I could be wrong of course, and look forward to your comments.

JMac

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
jcbrum said:
altruistic.lemon said:
Now, about the marketing, is he going to do the unthinkable, spend some money and advertise plus put the speakers out for review? You avoided answering, if you remember.

Why not ask him yourself
smiley-laughing.gif
or get JD to invite AVI to post here, and answer your questions. The DM5s are on demo at the works if you would care to visit, and enjoy their hospitality.

JC

I think inviting AJ to proselytise here would be a backwards move IMHO - especially given his publicly stated thoughts of JD, and also the membership here generally.

I'd also have to comment that from my own personal interaction with AJ on his forums, that it can be very difficult to separate fact from biased opinion, and speculation and assumption presented as fact.

Others of course, may have better luck in discourse with him.

JMac

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
jcbrum said:
Why not ask him yourself
smiley-laughing.gif
or get JD to invite AVI to post here, and answer your questions. The DM5s are on demo at the works if you would care to visit, and enjoy their hospitality.

JC

You must think people here are really dumb, JCB.

I'll happily visit once you/your mate has repealed my ban, re-instated all my posts, allowed freedom of speech for all on his forum, stopped the vendetta against WHF, and outlawed shilling as the only means to promote his products. He could also stop reading "The Daily Mail", but in the interests of fairness I'll make that optional...

J

jcbrum

JMacMan said:
As I understood it, built to order meant that the two man factory waited until enough orders came in, before ordering the parts to assemble and package a run of ADM40's in their factory, not that speakers were built on an item by item basis, per individual order.

I'm also lead to believe that this sort of 'built to order' malarky, was the basis for cirumnavigating distance selling rules.

Is this the case on both counts? - I'm simply commenting upon what I've read elsewhere...and believe to be the facts.

JMac

You are wrong, on both counts. It's just not your day today.
smiley-frown.gif

JC

char_lotte

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi Jmac, I heard some Beo 9 's a week or two ago and really enjoyed them. Interestingly , not so much for the sound but for the whole process and especially the quality.

It was a rushed listen in the shop but I immediately felt comfortable and once settled in I loved the way they sounded... and looked.

I have agreed to go back when I have more time , but have really had my eyes opened regarding B and O......so thanks for that at least.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
By the way, his own forum and the Great Man himself give the impression the ADM40s have been discontinued.

But then his own forum and the Great Man himself not only 'outed' me (entirely erroneously) as the named proprietor of a hi-fi retailer, but also suggested that the named individual 'might be [a] mild sociopath/psychopath'.

How do I know? Based on the accusations earlier today, and acting on a hunch, Google found it for me quite easily:

http://hddaudio.net/viewtopic.php?pid=136817#p136817

Just goes to show that as Mr Duncan has said, you shouldn't believe all you read. Or try and understand how some people get away with it.

T

the record spot

jcbrum said:
JMacMan said:

JMac

smiley-frown.gif

JC

Oh right, so if somebody buys a pair then tries them out for seven days but decides against buying them, they can return them to AVI for a refund, minus return postage costs. Is that right?

J

jcbrum

altruistic.lemon said:
I'll happily visit once you/your mate has repealed my ban, re-instated all my posts, allowed freedom of speech for all on his forum, stopped the vendetta against WHF, and outlawed shilling as the only means to promote his products. He could also stop reading "The Daily Mail", but in the interests of fairness I'll make that optional...

Don't hold your breath, lemon. I doubt any of that is likely, but you should ask Ashley (nicely), and see what he says. :roll:

JC

J

jcbrum

the record spot said:
Oh right, so if somebody buys a pair then tries them out for seven days but decides against buying them, they can return them to AVI for a refund, minus return postage costs. Is that right?

Dunno :? , try it ;)

JC

T

the record spot

jcbrum said:
altruistic.lemon said:

Don't hold your breath, lemon. I doubt any of that is likely, but you should ask Ashley (nicely), and see what he says. :roll:

JC

Fair enough, but at least it's encouraging to see you recognise the site for what it is and you're not a blinkered yes-man. Welcome to the fold. :clap:

T

the record spot

jcbrum said:
the record spot said:

Dunno :? , try it ;)

JC

No need JC, but you said to JB that he was wrong on both counts, one of which related to the DSRs. Just assumed if you knew that much, you'd know the rest.

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
char_lotte said:
Hi Jmac, I heard some Beo 9 's a week or two ago and really enjoyed them. Interestingly , not so much for the sound but for the whole process and especially the quality. It was a rushed listen in the shop but I immediately felt comfortable and once settled in I loved the way they sounded... and looked. I have agreed to go back when I have more time , but have really had my eyes opened regarding B and O......so thanks for that at least.

Good on you for going and have a listen.

It can be difficult, in that most B&O emporiums have the lab 5's set up in a dedicated HT room, and the rest of the speakers scattered around like furniture, so not always easy to hear something setup the way a HiFi afficianado would perhaps prefer.

In the end, I made a personal appointment, after hours, with the speakers properly setup with an example of my existing TV/preamp/DAC/Centre channel, a V1-40 TV, and had a comprehensive listen for around 3 hours to my favourite music and movie clips.

From there a very confident buying decision was made.

But as I say, they won't be too everyones taste, depending upon what people are looking for, but for natural sound, as in the closest approach to the original sound, I feel you'd be hard pressed to do better, without jumping to the flagship Beolab 5, or spending a lot more money again, on something else.

And yes, it is a total ownership package that takes into account sound, quality, aesthetics, ease of use, system integration, customer service, backup and spare parts availablity over many years.

Given the cost, that was a very important consideration for me, as well as the sound, and in total for me at least, represented actual relative value for money compared to the high end audiophile scene.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on, and what other directions you may feel suit you better, if you feel lead in that direction, plus as I say, if you've any questions I may be able to assist you with, please feel free to ask.

JMac

J

jcbrum

the record spot said:
No need JC, but you said to JB that he was wrong on both counts, one of which related to the DSRs. Just assumed if you knew that much, you'd know the rest.

AFAIK, the built to order requirement, was instigated to avoid un-necessary capital costs of stocking finished goods. AVI have a very tight control of their costs, which is the main reason their products are such good value for money. All the value goes into the product.

JC

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
the record spot said:
jcbrum said:
JMacMan said:

JMac

smiley-frown.gif

JC

I don't believe that to be the case in the now discontinued ADM40's, certainly from what I've read online.

I wonder what one will do in a year or two, re the now discontinued ADM40's when the drivers have become unavailable/superseded, and if one has an 'accident' say at a party through over driving, and a driver fails or is damaged beyond repair.

Caveat emptor I would say - they're great VFM, as long as you're happy and everything holds up over the years.

Which is fair enough - they're a lot cheaper than anything that could compare re performance, and at the end of the day, one usually gets what one pays for.

JMac

J

jcbrum

p.s. In addition, RS, I know from running my own businesses that 'build to order only' has a very beneficial impact on the cost and value of 'work in progress' which is an important factor on any balance sheet, and has an impact on taxation too. - JC.

J

jcbrum

JMacMan said:
I wonder what one will do in a year or two, re the now discontinued ADM40's when the drivers have become unavailable/superseded, and if one has an 'accident' say at a party through over driving, and a driver fails or is damaged beyond repair.

JMac

In the case of the ADM40s the drive units are standard (but very expensive) units supplied by Scan Speak. They are not speciall made for, or dedicated to AVI ADM40s, although they are normally only employed in very expensive loudspeakers, so there should be no problems in that respect.

The electronics are specially designed and built by AVI, but they incorporate standard components, available world-wide, so service and repair by any competent facility (factory would be first choice, of course), and shouldn't be a problem.

Probably, they're easier to get repaired than your B&Os, jb.

JC

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
jcbrum said:
JMacMan said:

JMac

In the case of the ADM40s the drive units are standard (but very expensive) units supplied by Scan Speak. They are not speciall made for, or dedicated to AVI ADM40s, although they are normally only employed in very expensive loudspeakers, so there should be no problems in that respect.

The electronics are specially designed and built by AVI, but they incorporate standard components, available world-wide, so service and repair by any competent facility (factory would be first choice, of course), and shouldn't be a problem.

Probably, they're easier to get repaired than your B&Os, jb.

JC

Fair comment JC - the Beolabs are a much more complex design, and undoubtedly more expensive to repair; B&O keep an inventory of parts for speakers going back 30 years, so I don't see any issue with parts availability over the time of my likely ownership.

JMac

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
spiny norman said:
altruistic.lemon said:
By the way, his own forum and the Great Man himself give the impression the ADM40s have been discontinued.

But then his own forum and the Great Man himself not only 'outed' me (entirely erroneously) as the named proprietor of a hi-fi retailer, but also suggested that the named individual 'might be [a] mild sociopath/psychopath'.

How do I know? Based on the accusations earlier today, and acting on a hunch, Google found it for me quite easily:

http://hddaudio.net/viewtopic.php?pid=136817#p136817

Just goes to show that as Mr Duncan has said, you shouldn't believe all you read. Or try and understand how some people get away with it.

Apologies for my post. I do mean it too.

J

jcbrum

Chebby is too old a hand, to not know what he's doing. I actually think it's to everyone's credit that this thread has stayed stable, and some useful discussion has occurred.

JC

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts