AVI ADM40...coming soon!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Because Class A runs extremely hot, and does so all the time when the amplifier is turned on irrespective whether is playing music or not. If the output really was 750 watt into 8 ohm, you'd be able to do away with heating for that room, plus make your full English breakfast on the amp.

Valves would, of course, be and even greater challenge.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:Grottyash:The challenge here is not the 750 watts, it's to get that using a Class A amplifier built into the speakers...

Why?

A 750 Class A amp would need cooling on the scale of something like Dungeness B.

The young lady in this picture is standing next to a 100 watt Class A amplifier if that gives you some idea of what I mean. Even the 20 watts per channel Class A Sugden A21 amplifier gets hot enough to fry an egg despite about a third of it's bulk consisting of heat sink!

sa21aint.gif

A

Anonymous

My gosh you wouldn't want to rearrange the room too often!

I think the trick here is that AVI quote two sets of figures, at least for their current model, one for the bass unit and the other for the tweeter. Bass units often come in at 4 ohms, while tweeters are usually 8 but can be six. They could even be planning to use a 2 ohm bass unit, which would explain why the wattage of the amp seems so high.

My money's still on Class D, though.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Grottyash:My money's still on Class D, though.
Taken from their website where they ask themselves questions:

Aren't Class D amps more efficient? Why don't you use them?
Because they have nearly one thousand times more distortion than the best Class B and cost more as well as being potentially less reliable.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
method man:Ajani:
JohnDuncan:I have the permission of the author to reproduce the photograph, in case anybody is scared to click on Flickr links. Thanks John.
emotion-2.gif

I'm still trying to decide which is more hideous; the speakers or the chair? :)

That listening position is challenging too.........

Maybe it's meant to be the world's greatest surround speaker....

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:It's a prototype, proof-of-concept in effect. Expect changes and given it's likely to be over £2k for a pair, so expect a better finish to come. I'm not a huge fan of side firing woofer/sub arrangements and it is, if not a departure from the company's previous line of reasonsing to some extent (to my reading, two way seemed to be the likely only way), there's equally no reason why they wouldn't go off and develop what will likely be an impressive three way floorstander. Plus, the wider market likes floorstanders at the moment and they're a company that probably has an eye on that too.
Lastly, given that Meridian does a similar product for something over £5,000 a pair, B&O's top end actives nearer £10,000 seeing something like this coming out in twelve months time or so will likely bring high performance for a (slightly) more affordable price ticket. It'll certainly make them competitive up when you think Spendor's or PMC's floorstanders are in the £1500 bracket or upwards and then you've amps and sources to consider thereon.

Floorstanders aren't new to AVI, they used to make them before, so this is a welcome return to that product. Their views or more accurately, pronouncements on some things undoubtedly lose them fans and - kindly phrasing it - split opinion, but their products have been consistently good over the years. Expect more of the same here I think.

An Active Floorstander with built in DAC for under 2K, would probably be an incredibly competitive product...

Hopefully the final version looks better than the prototype..

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Grottyash:

Because Class A runs extremely hot, and does so all the time when the amplifier is turned on irrespective whether is playing music or not. If the output really was 750 watt into 8 ohm, you'd be able to do away with heating for that room, plus make your full English breakfast on the amp.

Valves would, of course, be and even greater challenge.

I understand the implications of pure Class A but why did you suggest one for this AVI floorstander yet to be made??

T

the record spot

Ajani:An Active Floorstander with built in DAC for under 2K, would probably be an incredibly competitive product...
Hopefully the final version looks better than the prototype..

Typically yes it would, but not this one. I imagine it would be more expensive than that - I only mentioned the sub-£2k speakers from those other manufacturers as an example of how expensive it would be to do this piecemeal. To achieve the kind of quality AVI achieved would probably result in spending more, or, to achieve the budget, buy lower quality separates and get less.

Edit: Indeed, no comment on what type of amplification will be used. Guessing AB.

TRENDING THREADS