AV standby- does it allow signal through

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Wanted to know if I could use either the sony str dg820 (or if i get severe budget creep the Yamaha dsp ax863se) in standby mode and these av's in standby would allow stereo sound and picture to go from a V+ and DVD box (routed through HDMI to av to tv) to allow direct signal to telly,

I am reluctant to keep av on at all times and due to very young kids and missus hating lots of options I would like signals straight to tv from these sources. Would be happy to route through av if this allowed signals through on standby

See previous post for method in my madness

http://whathifi.com/forums/t/192465.aspx

Thanks

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I'm afraid most amps don't support it. If both only support standard audio i.e. dolby digital and DTS, then you don't have to route the video via the amp as that is only applicable to HDMI due to bandwidth restrictions with optical and digi-coax. My advice would be to simply connect the video side (HDMI) direct and run separate digital audio cables to the amp so that you can have both 'quiet' and 'effects' listening modes. I always recommend a universal remote such as Logitech Harmony as they make controlling AV setups far easier and will select the right inputs on both amp and display but if you don't want the amp on all the time, a separate audio connection is the way to go unless you look at the higher end amps from the likes of Yamaha that support HDMI passthrough in standby.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts