AV Receiver Upgrade

kevin7.1

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
currently have Sony STR-DA1200ES I am well out of the market for any of the newer amps i would like, as i am a proper nuclear family man now (2 cat and everthing!). I am looking at upgrading second hand, i can spend about £250. I am pretty much set on the sony 5300ES and i am just waiting for one to come up. I love the sound of my amp and would not consider upgrading yet if my amp could decode HD sound formats. I know my amp sounds the way it does as it uses analogue amplifiers. Does the 5300ES? if the 53 has digital amps could any one describe the difference. also even though i prefer the styling of my amp. should i consider the 2400 and 3400ES and could anyone recommend any others i should consider Onkyo 809 for example. Look forward to your thoughts. Thanks.Kev.

EarsEarsEars

Feb 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi Kevin

I had this amp for a while and in the end swapped it only for the convenience of HDMIs on a newer STR-DA3500ES.

The reason I bought the STR-DA1200ES in the first place is that it has analogue inputs. This means that you could spend less than your budget on a good Blu-ray player with the matching analogue-outs. HD Sound, juzlikethat...

Otherwise, good luck with your decision, and enjoy the outcome.

kevin7.1

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Big boss i have at the front Tangent evo E34 floorstanders and a tangent evo E5C centre. Tangent evo E5L on my walls as surrounds and Tangent evo E5 on stands for surround backs. I wanted e4 l and c so all my drivers were the same but could not get them from a supplier in country. All those e5 speakers were purchased in the end from Amazon. Other than this amp upgrade, maybe a speaker upgrade in a couple years to bring the speakers inline with the quality of the amp.....then i'm done...... For a while...... So i am ok with having a better amp than my speakers in fact i would prefer it.

Ears i have a sony bdp s760 connected as you describe. But with having seven speakers i need my amp to decode and use pl IIx to expand 5.1 to 7.1 for the majority of blu rays.

kevin7.1

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Ears how does your new amp compare to the old. I prefer the es case with the display above the step. So how does yours compare. Does it look as substantial and tough and is it still made from aluminium.

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts