AV Receiver Upgrade Question

SouthaK

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi everyone

I am currently using a Pioneer VS-LX70, a ten year old home cinema receiver. I'm looking to upgrade to something like the Marantz NR1608, anyone have any feedback as to how much - if any - better sounding the newer amp will be? I don't have a chance to demo it (I live in Dubai) and I' m curious, aprt from the obvious feature upgrades, what sort of sound quality improvements can I expect?

Thanks

Kevin

SouthaK

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
What's the rest of your system like? What speakers have you got?

Hi Bigboss. Sorry I thought that info was in my signature. I have a Kef iQ 50 (L & R), iQ 60 (Centre) and a pair of KEF EGGS on rear duties. I use a panasonic Plasma (Full HD not 4k) with a high spec KODI HTPC (that I put together myself) that I use to rip my blu-rays too (uncompressed).

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
The 1608 will sound WAY better than your old receiver, especially with music.

You pay a premium for the "slimline" 1608 compared to the "full height" alternatives - it's down on power and the number of channels compared to similarly priced "full height" units.

If you're considering moving to Atmos (with in, on or near ceiling speakers) I would go for at least a nine channel unit, maybe the 6011 or 6012. Nine channels will give you seven "around-the-room" channels and two heights or five around-the room channels plus four heights. In a room up to 20 feet or so long, two heights will do but four is better. The 1608 will only give you seven around-the-rooms or five around-the-rooms plus two heights.

Almost by default all the current receivers will handle UHD or 4K content and all the latest audio and video codecs (except, perhaps, Dolby Vision, which may or may not become widespread - I'm betting on NOT). So if / when you replace your TV with a 4K one you'll be fine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts