AV receiver test in magazine

michael hoy

Just reading the test in in the new magazine.

The Yamaha RX-A3020 - in the against states: Treble teeters on edge of harshness

The Pioneer SC-LX86 in the verdict states: The treble needs to be kept in check at times.

Then goes on to say: Yamaha has no such flaws.

Surely the Yamaha needs to be kept in check as well, The Pioneer can be adjusted if needs be for the treble.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
michael hoy said:

The Yamaha RX-A3020 - in the against states: Treble teeters on edge of harshness

The Pioneer SC-LX86 in the verdict states: The treble needs to be kept in check at times.

Surely the Yamaha needs to be kept in check as well, The Pioneer can be adjusted if needs be for the treble.

Are you suggesting the Pioneer should have won the group test and What Hi-Fi is now in league with Yamaha? The mag often praises mid-to-high-end Pioneer AVRs at awards time.

To me, there's a distinction between treble that "teeters on the edge of harshness" and "treble that needs to be kept in check at all times."

Besides, if treble attenuation helps tame the Pioneer, would this not be true of the Yamaha? Surely there were other factors informing the verdict, too...

Sorry if that sounds confrontational, but owners can become defensive if their kit (or a close relative) isn't judged best in class.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
I was surprised of the negative on the Yamaha as of the current crop of amplifiers the RX-A3020 is the last one I would suggest has harshness in the treble. I cannot comment on the Denon but of the other three contenders the A3020 takes £2k cinema up a level and I am glad to see it won the test.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I feel that they're both at the top of the £2k receiver pile, and the choice will come down to which speaker package is being used. Judging anything on tonal balance is a dangerous thing as what one person sees as bright, another sees as smooth.

michael hoy

strapped for cash said:
michael hoy said:

Are you suggesting the Pioneer should have won the group test and What Hi-Fi is now in league with Yamaha? The mag often praises mid-to-high-end Pioneer AVRs at awards time.

To me, there's a distinction between treble that "teeters on the edge of harshness" and "treble that needs to be kept in check at all times."

Besides, if treble attenuation helps tame the Pioneer, would this not be true of the Yamaha? Surely there were other factors informing the verdict, too...

Sorry if that sounds confrontational, but owners can become defensive if their kit (or a close relative) isn't judged best in class.

Not suggesting anything, other than did seem to contradict itself. And not being defensive of the Pioneer either, the so called brightness of equipment is a personal thing.

TRENDING THREADS