AV Receiver - Should I be using it to switch Video sources?

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi all

I have a Sony AVR (STR-DB895D) which I only use for audio. It doesn't have HDMI switching, but the only HDMI source I have is a Denon DVD player (DVD-1940) and all my video components go straight to the TV. All audio, including DVD and Sky+ goes direct to the AVR. I chose this way because a) as I said, the only 'HD' source is the DVD b) when not using the receiver (particularly when TOH is watching TV) it keeps things simple and c) it keeps the route shorter. Is this the best way?

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I would only use video switching/processing in a receiver if I had to. Why add something to the chain that could potentially affect the picture or introduce problems? Also by connecting directly you have the flexibility of calibrating each input on the TV specific to the source. By routing all video via the receiver, you end up compromising by having a 'one setting for all' sources, which may not be accurate. AV Receivers do not tend to have SCART connections so older European equipment that utilises SCART have to be connected directly if you want to maintain picture quality (RGB). Not many AV Receivers support passthrough on standby so if you route video via an AV Receiver, you have to switch the amp on to get a picture, which kind of goes against the latest eco-friendly advice. Those AV Receivers that do support it, don't advertise the fact either!

To answer your questions, I would say, "yes" you have it set up optimally.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts