AV receiver for Tannoy Revolution DC6T

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys,

Yesterday I had a listening session at my local HiFi dealer. Had a listen to Tannoy revolution DC6T and MA RX 6's.. I was going to hear the KEF r-series at another dealer, and reconed from paper they would become my nr1 choice... However the Tannoys impressed me in such a way that I'm tempted not to look any further. For that money it was just amazing. The sound was so spacious and instruments so clear.. Definitely no match for the MA's..

Off course the session was on a good quality hifi amplifier (think it was Primare). The guy there advised me to have both a hifi amplifier and a low cost AV receiver, since music is the main focus. However, if I can avoid it I would rather have just the AV receiver and a better quality one. What I want is good stereo performance from an AV receiver with the Tannoys but don't want to spend 2000 pound if I can help it..

Any advise on partnering the tannoys with a decent AV receiver, (1000 - 1800 pound)? Any brands I should consider?

And since I'm here,.. What's the deal about the choice of light oak finish on all of the revolution series speakers, except the DC6T's?? Think thats a bit silly, almost a show-stopper for me. Has anyone heard the DC4T's? Is that a big step down?

Thanks for opinions on this.

Ps. Will complete the surround set with Revolution Center and rears, perhaps the sub will be a different one.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
For the current price, the DC6T's are great value for money, and probably unbeatable for £500 as far as floorstanding speakers go.

I would definitely look at the Yamaha RXA2010 or RXA3010 receivers. These are a little more laid back than some receivers, but good alternatives would be those from Marantz or Pioneer. You'll really need to get a listen to your intended combination to make sure you like the sound of them. Try the Rotel RSX1550 too, which will probably be the best compromise for music and movies.

This might be a couple of hundred outside your budget, but the Audiolab 8200AP processor with a Rotel RMB1565 power amp will sound rather impressive for music and movies as well.

Hi Stanleymenno

Yamaha's discontined Aventage RX-A2010 and RX-A3100 AV receivers are worth consideration (particularly as these models are now generally available around half of their RRP's). If you are happy to wait then the new aventage RX-A1020 (£1000), RX-A2020 (£1500) and RX-A3020 (£2000) should be availaable soon. Alternatively Anthem's MRX 300, MRX 500 and MRX 700 AV recevers are also worth bearing in mind.

http://www.anthemavs.co.uk/products/av-receivers

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Stanleymenno said:
.. I was going to hear the KEF r-series at another dealer, and reconed from paper they would become my nr1 choice... However the Tannoys impressed me in such a way that I'm tempted not to look any further. For that money it was just amazing. The sound was so spacious and instruments so clear.

My advice is to still go and test the R series.....you have nothing to lose, and piece of mind to gain. The Tannoys are only good value if you don't much prefer the Kefs......so IMO, it's worth making sure. Remember, something is only a No.1 choice until it's pushed to No.2!

A

Anonymous

Thanks so much guys!

Indeed I was considering the Yamaha's but will surely have a look at the other suggestions too.

The major difference with the new range is 4K upscaling and apple airplay right? And what about network connectivity? Most have it these days but how about playing directly from a Netword drive (apple time capsule in my hookup)? Is it all that easy yet or do some receivers still struggle?

Again, thanks for all the replies, much appreciated!

A

Anonymous

O, forgot, what about the sony's, say the STR-DA5500ES? It is the direct followup for the DA5400ES isnt it? Any experiences?

A

Anonymous

I auditioned the Tannoy's with a Marantz AV7005, the 2 work very well together imho. When I auditioned them I started off with the DC4T which sounded good, but when we switched to the 6s the 4s kinda dropped off the table for me.

It's indeeed a shame there are only 2 finishes really. When compared to the Kef R series the latter win for me, they really look stunning (only dark colours tho iirc). I'd definately check them out, both in terms of sound quality and looks :)

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

My Tannoy Arenas are not as big, but have the dual concentric drivers, so my experiences may be relevant.

I ran them from a Marantz for quite a long time, and though it was good, with films I somehow felt the control and slam of the bass wasn't quite what I wanted. It had a rich sound but lower frequencies didn't feel quite tight enough.

I've had them with a Denon now for quite a while, and the bass is now better controlled and seems to have slightly more depth and impact. I sometimes think it's not quite as rich a sound, but struggle to really explain what I mean, but it's certainly as detailed if not more so. I think the Marantz seemed to put more emphasis into the mid range, but the Denon seems more even. Overall I favour the Denon for film, and rate it the same for music.

My friend has a Yamaha with some small Tannoys, and it sounds fine. For me though the Yamahas don't quite have the bass solidity or excitement of the Denons, though I like the natural sound.

Hope this helps.

BTW, like you, though with style speakers rather than full size, I listened to quite a few from B&W, KEF, and so on, before hearing the Tannoys and just thinking they were what I was after and I didn't need to spend more. For me they really were head and shoulders above the others, even those costing quite a bit more, and I'm always a bit mystified that Tannoy aren't more popular.

A

Anonymous

Laurijs said:
I auditioned the Tannoy's with a Marantz AV7005, the 2 work very well together imho. When I auditioned them I started off with the DC4T which sounded good, but when we switched to the 6s the 4s kinda dropped off the table for me.

It's indeeed a shame there are only 2 finishes really. When compared to the Kef R series the latter win for me, they really look stunning (only dark colours tho iirc). I'd definately check them out, both in terms of sound quality and looks :)

Think there is only 1 finish for the 6's no? Strange that they've gone for light oak on all but the 6's. High gloss white or black would actually look sweet! Guess you could always take them to your local body shop for a paint-job :)

Anyway, I'm pretty convinced about a Marantz reveiver now. Perhaps the 6007 or 7005. Think the the tannoys and the marantz are musically a really good match. And esthetically too for that matter, the silver/gold retro look does match well with the tannoy's.

I will however go and check out the KEF's first. They are beauties, just so much freakin more expensive!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts