av amplifiers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi all new to whathifi forums i am considering upgrading my av amp which is a denon avca1 about 10 years old now but still performs well considering it is only dolby digital no dts etc creative audio are offering the onkyo 876 amp for £699 and the 906 for£899 both with 3year warranties and 2 free qed hdmi cables is the main difference between the 876 and 906 just watts per channel or different processors etc are these good amps for the prices and how much of an upgrade would they be over the denon a reply asap would be much appreciated thanks garry

A

Anonymous

They are both near enough the same amp with the 906 having the add on of Internet connection.

Musically they will be nothing to hear between them, it is more a question of if you need the facilities of the 906 over the 876.

Over the 10 yr old Denon it will be a massive upgrade. The Onkyo's run a full 'Class A' amp along with it's Burr Brown DAC's in its Pre Amp section.
Spend some money feeding it with a clean Mains supply and it is transformed into a truly great amplifier, with clarity, timing, pace, depth.

A

Anonymous

some more opinions would be much appreciated maybe from what hifi sound and vision staff also thanks garry

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Having used an 875 for 18 months or so now, I'd say that unless you want the network audio facilities of the 906, the 876 is an excellent buy at that price.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the reply andrew but would it be a big upgrade compared to my denon avca1 and are there any other amps i should consider at this sort of price garry

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, i think it would. Our reviews search will point you toward others you should consider at this level - obvious contenders would be the Yamaha RX-V1900 and Denon AVR-2809, plus of course the Award-winning Yamaha DSP-AX863SE, although this last one is in very short supply at the moment.

Ultimately, however, only you can tell if the sound of the receiver you buy is suitable for you - if I were spending this kind of money I'd be booking a serious auditioning session or two.

A

Anonymous

I've changed my amp a couple of times over the past 12 months, and recently from a Yamaha 763 to the Onkyo 876.

I Also considered the 906, but did not need the network facility.

You will not be disappointed with the 876, very powerfull, excellent sound placement and good video processing options.

The audessy volume control is excellent too, no more loud adverts in the middle of Sky HD programmes that have DD5.1 sound tracks.

You have run the auo set up a few times, and make some tweaks until you are 100% happy, but once you have done that it is excellent.

I will not be changing again for a while - well not until the 877 comes out with the new Dolby Z, front presence speakers.

TRENDING THREADS