Visit site
Hi

Current set-up

Denon 2803 av amp

M&K K7 centre & fronts

M&K K4 rears

REL strata sub

Panasonic BDP110 blu ray

Looking to upgrade my amp to something with HDMI inputs. My shortlist is as follows

Onkyo 809

Yamaha RX-A810

Yamaha RX -A810

Pioneer LX55

My existing Denon amp is good but I feel it is a little warm and not quite detailed enough for me. I've also heard about the Onkyo running a little warm, although it would be in a well ventilated position.

I'd be happy to consider a "last years model" if I can find one.

Does anyone have the K7/K4 set up and what amps are you using please?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thank you:cheers:

Richardhall

Mar 13, 2004
Visit site
Sorry - should have added that the set-up is used solely for movies, I have an iPhone, so connectivity would be good, but not a deal-breaker.

Listening room is 5m x 4m

Total budget - up to £1000 if pushed.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm afraid you'll be having to use your available budget (and maybe a little more) in order to get an AV receiver to properly fit the bill. It's the sub £800-1,000 receivers that tend to be less stable with 4ohm loads. The THX rated Onkyo 809 is a good starting point, but with Pioneer you'll ideally need to be looking at the SCLX75 or SCLX85 - both use digital amplification which seems to run 4ohm speakers better than much of the similarly priced competition. With Yamaha, I'd play safe and look at the 2010. Onkyos no longer run hot like they used to.

My recommended shortlist would be the Onkyo 809, Pioneer SCLX75, yamaha RXA2010, and the Denon AVR4311.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I've used Pioneer with mine and i previously had the K7 package. Been on the end of Pioneer AX5i and SCLX71. You could get an SClX73 for £850-900. I've always thought the combination sounds fantastic.

According to the MKSound website they referer to Onkyo as they use MK satellite speakers in the design and development of Onkyo surround systems. So you could argue Onkyo is the best choice.

Either way Davids advise is always good.

Richardhall

Mar 13, 2004
Visit site
Thank you for all the helpful advice.

The Onkyo 809 at £699 seems much more inexpensive than the other suggested amps (Yamaha A2010 & Pioneer LX75)

Is is that much of a bargain? I must admit that the others are a little out of my budget although might try haggling if they really are an improvement over the 809.

In another forum, someone has mentioned the Marantz SR 7005 as an option.

Once again, any thoughts, experience or opinions?

Thanks in advance.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts