Question Will I wreck my CXA60 amp by playing 4 and 8 Ohm speakers simultaneously via A/B?

RoFoBoFo

Oct 11, 2021
Visit site
I have Tannoy Mercury 3 floor standers at 8 Ohm and just got given a pair of 4 Ohm Onkyo D-N9BX bookshelves. Plugged them both in to my Cambridge cxa60 to compare via A/B channels. Seems they sound best when I play A and B together. Am I going to knacker my amp with this set up?? If it does pose problems, are those problems only going to arise at a high volume??

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
I wouldn't advise it....it will draw too much power from the amp for the speakers to perform...both pairs will have totally different characteristics anyway.. and imho I don't think it would be a cohesive presentation.....muddled and disjointed would be my thoughts on what it'd probably sound like...but it's your kit ateotd.

RoFoBoFo

Oct 11, 2021
Visit site
Cheers, that's definitely helped clarify. Hifi is still a work in progress...got the amp/cd/turntable sorted then baby number 3 came along before the speaker upgrade...decent speakers first on the list once nursery fees are no more!

Reactions: Gray
I'm sure more cultured ears would be offended but it sounds good to me...or at least better than either pair alone!
If it sounds better than either pair alone then perhaps it's time to sell both and buy something better?
you have posted this in the hifi section however two pairs of speakers playing simultaneously is never going to be that...... Think stereo.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts