Av Amp or cheaper AV amp and power amp?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Given the fact the TX-SR605 doesn't have preouts, and thus can't be connected to the Audiolab, I think I'd go for the TX-SR875 for pure sound quality.

if...

Nov 21, 2007
Visit site
Ooops! What a plum I am!

Okay - what about a "budget" reciever / midrange receiver / amp that does have preouts and can decoe new HD audio formats coupled with the Audiolab PX7 versus the Onkyo 875?

Cheers!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Nope, would still go for the 875 over, say, a £500 receiver and the 8000x7.

Or indeed the TX-SR805 if I didn't need the 875's upscaling and wanted to save a couple of hundred quid.

A

Anonymous

I am a COMPLETE newbie. What do you mean by the fact that it doesn't have preouts? What benefit do I get with these? Will I still be able to connect speakers to this system and they'll work or do I need something else as well?
Thanks in advance and sorry if this seems daft but as I said, COMPLETE newbie.

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

Given the fact the TX-SR605 doesn't have preouts, and thus can't be connected to the Audiolab, I think I'd go for the TX-SR875 for pure sound quality.
[/quote]

A

Anonymous

OK, here goes. Sorry if any of it is patronising.

Whether a stereo or a surround sound design, an amplifier has two roles to perform: one, to interpret the audio signals being fed to it (either music, or movies, or both), and two, to make said signals louder. An integrated (one-box) amplifier performs both functions inside one chassis. A preamplifier and power amplifier combination separates the two roles out into two boxes: the first, the preamplifier, is the 'brain', the second, the power amplifier, is the brawn.

To connect a preamplifier to a power amplifier, you typically use phono interconnects, as you would use to link a CD player or tuner to a standard hi-fi amp. How many you'll need corresponds to how many channels of power amplification you want to use, which in turn tends to reflect how many speakers you have in your system. So, for a five speaker home cinema system, you'll need five phono interconnects to feed five power amp channels, one for each speaker.

Preout sockets are simply the connection sockets for these phono interconnects. A preamplifier will always have them -ÿthe total number it offers will reflect whether it's a stereo design (two sockets), a 5.1 design (six sockets, one for a bass-generating subwoofer) or a 7.1 design (eight sockets, one for a sub). You'll find that most surround sound amplifiers offer a similar socket arrangement - although has Andrew has pointed out, that's not always the case.

In the latter case, the feature is designed to allow an upgrade path for owners of integrated home cinema amps. You could buy your modestly powered receiver now, then add a bigger, more powerful amplifier later to increase its output, or conceivably to investigate biamplifying (ie using two power amp channels per speaker) your system. It's also possible to connect an active (self-powered) speaker directly a preout socket, should you want to.

A

Anonymous

Andy, not patronising at all. Thanks for the info. I told you I was a newbie.

So I take it that the ONKYO 605 then is an "all in one" with a lower output but at a later date I cannot (as it has no pre-outs) upgrade it by adding a larger power amplifier.

Is that right?

nads

[quote user="scrscoot"]
Andy, not patronising at all. Thanks for the info. I told you I was a newbie.

So I take it that the ONKYO 605 then is an "all in one" with a lower output but at a later date I cannot (as it has no pre-outs) upgrade it by adding a larger power amplifier.

Is that right?

[/quote]

correct. if there are not the preouts you can not power the power amps amps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts