Aurex/ Toshiba sb - a50 amplifier

towerssam

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi I'm new to the site, and might sound like a bit of a newbie but have a question related to a vintage amplifier. I have obtained a hi fi system while clearing out a house from a relative that has passed away and want to buy speakers for the system. The amplifier is a aurex sb - 50 from the 1980s. The manual for the amp says that it has a continuous power output of 35w x2 (4ohms), 30w x2 (8 ohms), but the peak power meters on the front of the unit go up to 100w per channel. I want to buy some Mercury v4i speakers that recommend an amp with an rms of 10-140 w. Are these speakers suitable? Or will they overload the amp? I would be greatfull for any feedback, or if anybody could recommend suitable speakers, preflebly floor standing. Thanks.

towerssam said:
Hi I'm new to the site, and might sound like a bit of a newbie but have a question related to a vintage amplifier. I have obtained a hi fi system while clearing out a house from a relative that has passed away and want to buy speakers for the system. The amplifier is a aurex sb - 50 from the 1980s. The manual for the amp says that it has a continuous power output of 35w x2 (4ohms), 30w x2 (8 ohms), but the peak power meters on the front of the unit go up to 100w per channel. I want to buy some Mercury v4i speakers that recommend an amp with an rms of 10-140 w. Are these speakers suitable? Or will they overload the amp? I would be greatfull for any feedback, or if anybody could recommend suitable speakers, preflebly floor standing. Thanks.

Those are pretty efficient 8ohm speakers so should pose no problem for the amp.

You'll need some bare-wire speaker cable also.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
The Aurex system components were quite well thought of at the time. I owned the Aurex tuner in that range. (I had completely forgot about having it til I read this post!) it had a v good sound. Nice one towwersam.

tonky

towerssam

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Yeah. I have quickly tested the system with studio monitors I have just to try it out, and it did sound very nice. My uncle bought them in the early 80s and took very good care of them. I dont think the system has been barely used. There is an aurex amp, cassette player, tuner and a direct drive turntable, all in good condition in a cabinet, with all the manuals spares etc.. Im looking forward to getting some decent speakers for it payday.

TRENDING THREADS