Auditioning a Quad pre/power tomorrow. What can I expect sonically?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
As the title suggests, i'm listening to a Quad 34 pre with a 405 power tomorrow.

I've had my Cyrus Two for nearly a year and have loved it, but since I put a new Alpine setup in my motor, a shortfall of the Cyrus has become evident. It is too lean on the bass. I thought that this was a neccessary evil, as to increase the bass would mean the loss of detail, but the Alpine has shown that isn't the case. It has deep bass, but has uncovered more detail than the Cyrus, which really surprised me.

So, i'm after a change.

Ideally, i'd like to replicate the sound of the Alpine, bucket loads of detail and deep powerful bass.

Can I expect this from the Quad?

A

Anonymous

Is it an original 405? What speakers?

The thing with a standard 405 is that it doesn't have a lot of current to offer and uses old op amps. Older op amps give it a slightly harder, glassier sound as compared with modern units which sound a lot more natural and detailed. It's pretty cheap and easy to replace these op amps and to remove any current limitation with new boards from Netaudio or the like. You can also add a dual mono PSU to improve bass weight and imaging.

Put it this way, if you like what you hear then you'll love it after a few mods. If you want a standard unit then a 606 or 909 will help sort these things out too.

The current dumping design of the 405/606/909 has a lovely, smooth sound with superb midrange. The bass has been considered as a weakness purely due to it's relative lack of rhythm or speed compared to other pre/power combos available. I've never had a problem with it myself and find it a very enjoyable little amp.

A

Anonymous

I will follow this thread with interest ... I have recently purchased a pair of Leak sandwich 200 speakers (for a tenner and included speaker cable as they have the DIN connections) ...

bass is superb and they sound pretty good to me (for a tenner)... currently connected to a Pioneer SX-700L receiver/amp and an old Pioneer PD S703 CD player with a silver high breed synegy interconnect)

I intend to set up a kitchen system with the Leak speakers and an old quad system, so keep us informed!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:Is it an original 405? What speakers?

The thing with a standard 405 is that it doesn't have a lot of current to offer and uses old op amps. Older op amps give it a slightly harder, glassier sound as compared with modern units which sound a lot more natural and detailed. It's pretty cheap and easy to replace these op amps and to remove any current limitation with new boards from Netaudio or the like. You can also add a dual mono PSU to improve bass weight and imaging.

Put it this way, if you like what you hear then you'll love it after a few mods. If you want a standard unit then a 606 or 909 will help sort these things out too.

The current dumping design of the 405/606/909 has a lovely, smooth sound with superb midrange. The bass has been considered as a weakness purely due to it's relative lack of rhythm or speed compared to other pre/power combos available. I've never had a problem with it myself and find it a very enjoyable little amp.

I believe it is original, but i'd have to double-check tomorrow.

I'll be using my Rogers studio 1a, and feeding the amp with my Rotel RCD-991.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Well, I didn't get the Quads.

They weren't the sound I wanted, after all.

I had a 2 hour demo of another set-up, trying every genre that I listen to, with the follwing test discs:

Classical: Bach, Mozart

Acoustic: Damien Rice

Jazz: Miles Davis

Pop/Soft rock: Peter Gabriel, Richard Marx, Dire Straights

Electronica: Bjork

Hard Rock/Metal: Opeth, Pantera, Meshuggah.

It absolutely nailed all of them. I wanted all the detail of the Cyrus but with the addition of a great bottom end. This does it, but surpasses the Cyrus in getting the detail out of a track. One little goosebump moment was during Peter Gabriels 'Here Comes The Flood'. His voice sounded more real: hoarse and heartbroken, and a slight echo (maybe from the recording studio) was picked out. Luverly!

Needless to say, I've bought it.

It is, and I hope I get the numbers right:

Exposure VII Pre Amp

2 x Exposure VI PSUs to feed the Pre Amp

Exposure Super VIII Power Amp.

I'm picking it up this afternoon.

Oh, I chopped in the Cyrus 2 and PSX, so It didn't hurt the wallet too bad, either!

A

Anonymous

Good stuff! To be honest I really think the 405 needs upgrading to make it a keeper and it can sound a lot better with a different preamp too.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
lordmortlock:Good stuff Bretty. I've not heard any Exposure kit - how did the sound differ to the Quad?

I found the (original, standard spec) Quad lifeless and un-involving, to be honest. It didn't have the strength of bass that I was after, either. What Igg said previously was basically spot on, in that it sounds a bit, well, weedy. Not worth the £400-odd that it was going for.

I'd never heard of Exposure before I went to the shop today. The sound-bite way of describing it's sound, so the guys at the shop told me, is 'Naim, but with bass'. I can't qualify that because I haven't heard any Naim gear.

I'll try to describe it for you. Firstly, with the Cyrus vocals were really forward, but with the Exposure they are more evenly balanced and integrate with the instruments much better. With the Cyrus, it was like the singer was in the room with you but the rest of the band were in the next room with the door closed. The Exposure invites the rest of the band into the party!

The detail retrieval is phenomenal. I suppose i'm still a little green when it comes to hi-fi, but I thought Cyrus were the kings of detail. No way, This set-up blows it out of the water. But I suppose its unfair to compare what is basically a budget amp against an amp that would be about three grand in todays money.

Acoustic instruments are very real sounding, especially strings. I have demoed a few systems at the shop, and they usually set the gear up and leave you to it. But after about ten minutes of me testing the amp with my Rotel CDP and Rogers speakers. they asked if they could come and have a listen too, then waxed lyrical about how amazing the amp sounded through my gear. It's that good!
Now, I know what your thinking, but I know these guys, and they don't blow smoke up your *** to get a sale!

Ok. lastly is bass. My Rogers have pretty massive woofers (10") but today is the first time that they have been able to send vibrations throught the floor. The bass is strong, but not overpowering, with punch and taughtness.

I can't say anything about the imaging, as the speakers were only about a metre apart at the store. Once I've had a proper listen at home, i'll update.

I think I did OK with the price, but if anyone knows about Exposure gear let me know If I Haven't. After the chop-in of the Cyrus, I paid £420.

A

Anonymous

That sounds fantastic. Where did you get it from? I wouldn't pay £400 for an old 405 and 34. I paid £100 for mine then £400 to get it rebuilt. Then I paid £150 for an AVI pre bringing the amp total to approx £650. I still doubt it'd perform as well as the Exposures but it's a different beast anyway. The bass has always been the Quad weakness.

A

Anonymous

well done bretty .... I am sure you will be more than happy! ... I am also glad that you described the sound from the quads as I had set my sites on an old quad setup with my old Leak Sandwich speakers ... so I will have to consider carefully and audition first before buying blind

I have read on several forums that your Rogers 1a speakers are awesome .... have not heard a pair yet, ... but I have heard the LS7's then nearly bought a pair but was outbid

matthewpiano

I take it you have been back to Steve's Hi-Fi then Bretty.

I just bought my CD and amp from him and I'm very pleased indeed. Definitely one of the good guys.

Just had a look at the Exposures on his website and they look very nice. Do let us know how you find them once you've set them up at home. I've heard many great things about that particular combination.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:That sounds fantastic. Where did you get it from? I wouldn't pay £400 for an old 405 and 34. I paid £100 for mine then £400 to get it rebuilt. Then I paid £150 for an AVI pre bringing the amp total to approx £650. I still doubt it'd perform as well as the Exposures but it's a different beast anyway. The bass has always been the Quad weakness.

Steve's Hi-Fi, literally 200m down the road from me (Hastings).

You're right, £400-odd seemed steep when compared the Exposure.

I think I can stop tinkering with cables and interconnects now, I have a sound that i'm really happy with!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
dim_span:
well done bretty .... I am sure you will be more than happy! ... I am also glad that you described the sound from the quads as I had set my sites on an old quad setup with my old Leak Sandwich speakers ... so I will have to consider carefully and audition first before buying blind

I have read on several forums that your Rogers 1a speakers are awesome .... have not heard a pair yet, ... but I have heard the LS7's then nearly bought a pair but was outbid

I wouldn't want to tar all Quad stuff with the same brush, but i'd take the 405 off your list, unless you'd be willing to do the mods that Igg did. It really left me cold.

Thank you, I think the Rogers are superb. I had a touch in firstly getting them, as they're getting quite rare and in getting them so cheap (£120ish I recall). We're lucky down here, cos this is where Chris Rogers lived, so keep an eye on Steves hi-fi's site, as other Roger's speakers do pass through now and again.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano:I take it you have been back to Steve's Hi-Fi then Bretty.

I just bought my CD and amp from him and I'm very pleased indeed. Definitely one of the good guys.

Just had a look at the Exposures on his website and they look very nice. Do let us know how you find them once you've set them up at home. I've heard many great things about that particular combination.

Yeah, filling Steves pockets with cash again! He is one of the good guys and knows what he's talking about.

I'm about an hour into a listening session and I can't get the smile off my face!

You've heard good things about this combo? Excellent. Completely fluked that one, then!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano:I take it you have been back to Steve's Hi-Fi then Bretty.

You bought your Rotel from Steve? Great players, aren't they? I'll never change mine, I love it.

matthewpiano

bretty:matthewpiano:I take it you have been back to Steve's Hi-Fi then Bretty.

You bought your Rotel from Steve? Great players, aren't they? I'll never change mine, I love it.

Yes, its superb. I only got it on Wednesday but I absolutely love it. Very analogue sounding and musical. Superb build quality too. Bought the Pioneer A400 from him the week before. I'd much rather put money in the pockets of someone like Steve than some big internet retailer. I would have bought speakers from him as well but, understandably, he doesn't post those so I bought them from a local seller.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I'm about three hours into my first listening session since bringing the new kit home. It's now fully warmed up and i'm really surprised at how good this is.

The extra amount of detail coming through over the Cyrus is as great as the change was from my old Hitachi Hi-fi to Cyrus. From the demo at the store, I expected the Exposure to reveal subtle, background sounds, but I'm listening to Peter Gabriel's 'Hit' (best of...) and it's picking out complete instrument tracks that the Cyrus couldn't pick up. Also, having the depth of bass, now, the whole tone of songs has changed.

Brilliant.

Are there any other Exposure users on the forum?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
bretty:I'm about three hours into my first listening session since bringing the new kit home. It's now fully warmed up and i'm really surprised at how good this is. The extra amount of detail coming through over the Cyrus is as great as the change was from my old Hitachi Hi-fi to Cyrus. From the demo at the store, I expected the Exposure to reveal subtle, background sounds, but I'm listening to Peter Gabriel's 'Hit' (best of...) and it's picking out complete instrument tracks that the Cyrus couldn't pick up. Also, having the depth of bass, now, the whole tone of songs has changed.Brilliant.Are there any other Exposure users on the forum?

Not heard one, but really glad you've got something good Bretty, it makes it all worthwhile.

And by the way my missus is in Hastings tonight, so if you see a girl with massive eyes and her Scottish friend say hello!

You might not as apparently they are having a drooling night over Jake Gyllenhall...pah!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:
bretty:I'm about three hours into my first listening session since bringing the new kit home. It's now fully warmed up and i'm really surprised at how good this is. The extra amount of detail coming through over the Cyrus is as great as the change was from my old Hitachi Hi-fi to Cyrus. From the demo at the store, I expected the Exposure to reveal subtle, background sounds, but I'm listening to Peter Gabriel's 'Hit' (best of...) and it's picking out complete instrument tracks that the Cyrus couldn't pick up. Also, having the depth of bass, now, the whole tone of songs has changed.Brilliant.Are there any other Exposure users on the forum?

Not heard one, but really glad you've got something good Bretty, it makes it all worthwhile.

And by the way my missus is in Hastings tonight, so if you see a girl with massive eyes and her Scottish friend say hello!

You might not as apparently they are having a drooling night over Jake Gyllenhall...pah!

You from down this way, then, Joel?

I won't see your other half, cos I'm having a night in with two bottles of red and my new toy, but my birds out in town with her mates all dressed as witches and devils. I'll tell her to look out for a girl with huge eyes and a Scot!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I'm from London, but my chick's friend has relatively recently moved to Hastings.

Mind you I have had a couple of short breaks in Rye, which is lovely.

What's also lovely is the fact that they are out! Joy!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:
I'm from London, but my chick's friend has relatively recently moved to Hastings.

Mind you I have had a couple of short breaks in Rye, which is lovely.

What's also lovely is the fact that they are out! Joy!

Yeah, Rye is really nice. Me and bird stayed at the hounted hotel there a few months back, The Mermaid Inn. If you go to Rye again, i'd recommend a stay and ask to stay in the room with the haunted rocking chair. Spooky!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Quick update:

I promised a review of the Exposures stereo imaging.

It's very, very good. Vocals are firmly rooted in the centre of the two speakers. other instruments and backing vocals are all separated brilliantly and are placed firmly in different spaces between the speakers, giving the impression of an on-stage performance.

So far, I don't have any negative comments. The amp's great.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts