Audiovector v Audio Physic house sound

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Neither of these brands are big in the UK, but since there are folks on here from outside the UK, I'd be interested in any thoughts RE: the above subject.

I've heard Audiovector S1 Signature briefly and was very impressed with the clarity, speed and soundstaging but thought that the overall tonal balance might be a bit on the lean side for long term personal satisfaction.

Audio Physic also seem to score highly on the above features, so...if anyone has actually compared both I'd be interested in any impressions.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if this will be any help but I owned a pair of Audiovector f3 lyd 3x speakers some years ago and I liked a lot of what they did , they were quite similar to your description sound wise, but I could not get on with the 2406 aluminium dome tweeter so I upgraded to the newer 2407 tweeter which was better, but in the end I gave up and sold them on .

This was quite a few years ago so things maybe very different now .

I have only heard any Audio Physic speakers at HiFi shows but they always left me with an impression of a lovely wide open sound with wonderful imaging but lacking musically , a bit too HiFi for want of a better description .

Sorry I can't be of more help :)

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Well if you make an Audio Physic- Naim combo there is much more musicality. I like both brands, but Audiovector is better in placement, Audio Physic is more critical about placement.

Audiovector is a good combo for Naim or Exposure, the Si3 serie is very good, Si1 is a little bit shy on bass, like all standmounts.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I heard briefly the Audiovector S1 sig with an Exposure 50W integrated (can't remember the exact model) and also my Sugden Mystro. I thought they were pretty good speakers, and I would be interested to try some used Audiovector floorstanders, but there are none around used at the moment at the right price.

I found some Audio Physic Yara II Classic, so I will see what these sound like on the end of either 50W of punchy AB or 20-odd Watts of Class A. They don't have the side firing woofers like the higher AP models, so they should be easy to integrate into my 4m*4m-ish living room.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I've never heard Audiovector, but I have heard some AP Sitaras (with a Bel Canto CDP + Belles Amp), and they sounded pleasant and musical, if a little unexciting....I've no idea if this is representative of the rest of the range, though Acalex rates the more expensive model that he heard.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
From everything I've read and heard, AP certainly have a fairly consistent house sound and well known good imaging/soundstage that's particularly suited to classical music. :?

Seem to offer an understated/reserved presentation, that could cut both ways I guess...

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Update:

Indeed, the AP's have good, precise imaging, are fast and well-integrated and do a good disappearing act. Worked fine in my room in almost any position. Good musicality with all genres of music. They don't seem to add any excitement that isn't there in the recording/the electronics, a good thing IMO. Neither bright nor warm sounding and seem fine tonally. Work well with Class A and valves.

One thing that I noticed was that the soundstage seems to extend in an arc behind the speakers, in contrast to other speakers that either have little depth or extend the soundstage out towards the listener. I suppose that's why AP's are renowned for classical as that's roughly the same layout as an orchestra, though I've found rock/jazz/electronica/acoustic to be all fine as well.

:rockout:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I actually tried the APs Avanti (now replaced with a more expensive model) and found them very musical, they complete disappear indeed. Tried them with M6i and Primare I32, with MF amp they were very impressive. Liked them a lot, very detailed, maybe a bit difficult to place due to the woofers on the sides.

Agreed, they worked greatly with any type of music. I was frankly very impressed in the end...

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
@acalex: Interesting that we reach similar conclusions comparing the budget line to the reference line!

I expected to find some flaws with the cheaper model, but nothing stands out as being bad/annoying.

I guess as you move up the range you get even more clarity, ability to fill a larger space at a higher volume and maybe on the negative side more issues with positioning/matching...not to mention the £££.

I can maybe guess why you're very impressed but at the same time not "shot through the heart". They're kind of inconspicuous!

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
paradiziac said:
@acalex: Interesting that we reach similar conclusions comparing the budget line to the reference line!

I expected to find some flaws with the cheaper model, but nothing stands out as being bad/annoying.

I guess as you move up the range you get even more clarity, ability to fill a larger space at a higher volume and maybe on the negative side more issues with positioning/matching...not to mention the £££.

I can maybe guess why you're very impressed but at the same time not "shot through the heart". They're kind of inconspicuous!

Indeed, the model I tried was quite pricey, it was sold as ex-demo at 9k eur instead of 11k. The model which is now replacing this one is sold at 13k eur, but I didn't try it. The Avanti I tried were really stunning speakers, fast, dynamic, very detailed and musical. They really desappeared...but again it was quite a big room and they had a lot of space around them.

For me they won't work as I don't have that much space and, at the end of the day, I prefer the look of the SF Guarneri Memento :)

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
...I think there's a lot of good speakers out there at all price points...enjoy your SF's whenever you finally get them!

Waiting eagerly for the next episode of your "long journey" thread!

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes you are definitely right, but I do think chosing speakers is easier than chosing an amp...at least for me :)

The SF are already "sold on paper", hopefully I will get them for Xmas :cheers:

Also waiting for next episode of my endless journey, I will be listening to Sudgen amps, just for peace of mind...or maybe for more head scratching :wall:

Gave up on Pathos, only dealer is too far, not very helpful and not flexible on prices (which for me it's a deal-breaker ;D)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts