Audiosciencereview of the B&W 607 s2 anniversary edition

gasolin

Almost every time i se a audiosciencereview i get dissapointed, also this time :disappointed:

gasolin

My signature is up to date

The measurements of the speakers, somehow i didn't return them, tried looking for better speakers and triede a couple of speakers to replace the old 607 i had.

The 607 anniversary edition sounds open but can sound a little bright and only on some records theres bass, not that there has to be bass when theres not alot on most record

The review shows my that the speakers could have been better build and it should be possible for the money to get better build speakers that doesnt sound to bright, i haven't angled mine

Also reading reviews can be dangerous because you might start focusing on things from the review you didn'notice before and realizing you don't have the perfect speakers for you're needs

Last edited:

Gray

Almost every time i se a audiosciencereview i get dissapointed, also this time :disappointed:
Really don't be disappointed Gasolin
Waaaay too much faith is placed on the opinion of the one man that is ASR.
As I've said before, his conclusion on the PMC twenty21 speaker was that it was
and I quote, 'A failure in design' and he went on to say that he didn't know how PMC could have made such a bad speaker!!!

Never read such a controversial, ridiculous (and incorrect) conclusion in decades of reading reviews.
(And I would honestly say that, even if I didn't own the model).

Don't let him (or anyone else) influence your opinion.

Stop reading them then..... :)

Reactions: Si O' the Times
"Waaaay too much faith is placed on the opinion of the one man that is ASR."
Quite so. Over the years I have found very few reviewers have hearing similar to mine and whose reviews agree with what I thought when I heard the same item / setup.
These particular reviewers I pay attention to and perhaps one or two might actually give me the confidence to buy blind, but others like ASR I don't even bother reading....

Reactions: Gray

njprrogers

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
"Waaaay too much faith is placed on the opinion of the one man that is ASR."
Quite so. Over the years I have found very few reviewers have hearing similar to mine and whose reviews agree with what I thought when I heard the same item / setup.
These particular reviewers I pay attention to and perhaps one or two might actually give me the confidence to buy blind, but others like ASR I don't even bother reading....

100% agree... this topic is so subjective, and listen, that is half the fun of it, right? It means we can argue our case safe in the knowledge we are all wrong!

The notion that anyone has the definitive say on what is 'better' in this scenario is nonsense. Graphs or no graphs.

Reactions: Al ears and Gray
D

Deleted member 116933

Don't feel bad at all. I've never actually come across this site ASR before. Seems like he doesn't really use his ears to listen all that often.

As with all measurement reviews, how are they being performed? in a kitchen with a washing machine and dry working, fridge clicking in and out, people mowing the grass across the street, planes flying overhead, Reverb, heck people walking around in the opposite room and the list goes on. I just don't trust reviews like this which is funny as you should be able to trust reviews like this more.

BUT having said that a lot of speakers test very poorly measurement wise, but sound fantastic to the ear. BBC speakers for instance embrace cabinet vibrations, measurement wise that's a bad thing, no?

Nothing is perfect and far from it, everything is a compromise.

D

Deleted member 116933

100% agree... this topic is so subjective, and listen, that is half the fun of it, right? It means we can argue our case safe in the knowledge we are all wrong!

The notion that anyone has the definitive say on what is 'better' in this scenario is nonsense. Graphs or no graphs.

The thing is, its not supposed to be, if the measurement says its bad it's bad. Same as TVs, if the graph says they can't reproduce a colour standard it can't that's not subjective that's a fact. No way no how you're not going to see that colour.

As I stated the subjective part about these sorts of reviews is how they're measured. And any number of things can throw it off.

Bu then there the notion of price, ie is it good for it price class?

I'd avoid reviews in future if you don't find they improve your life - I only read before buying.

It sounds like you aren't entirely happy with the speakers though, and any reinforcement that you can find can feed your dissatisfaction. Time to think about a change maybe? - I'd have thought you'd get a reasonable trade in or price on eBay.

Reactions: Al ears
I'd avoid reviews in future if you don't find they improve your life - I only read before buying.

It sounds like you aren't entirely happy with the speakers though, and any reinforcement that you can find can feed your dissatisfaction. Time to think about a change maybe? - I'd have thought you'd get a reasonable trade in or price on eBay.
I must admit, when I auditioned them, I much preferred the 606's

gasolin

I just wish i had more option for listning to speaklers before buying, since it's easier to compare, i don't have to many place where they have speaker in my price range(hate sitting in a bus or train for half an hour with a face mask, im having problem even with 10 min) speakers above dali spektor and oberon 3 are a little expensive (607 anniversary edition costs the same as oberon 3, oberon 3 should also be a little bright, if not better than zensor 1/3 they are fatiguing in the highs).

Also as mentioned in ASR no frequency should draw attention so you can listen to the music and not focus on some frequency that is to loud or not loud enough. (im not the type who want's super loud bass or bass at -3db at 30hz

607 ae are open sounding but could do with som improvements in the highs, luckily my amp don't change sound charateristic at high levels, despite that (which is a good thing about my rotel a11 tribute) the spakers could stille need som improvements in the highs

D

Deleted member 188533

Amir at Audio Science Review has always been polarizing. There's a long running 'feud' I guess you'd say with the Superbestaudiofriends ( yes, real name ) site and Head Fi because those sites are sponsored by / fanboys of Schiit audio and Amir showed that the earlier Schiit stuff measured terribly. In fairness to Schiit the newer products measure as well as anything on the market.

I don't know if any of you are familiar with NwAvGuy and the Objective 2 headphone amp and ODAC story but some people have speculated that Amir is him.

I don't believe measurements tell the whole story of anything but I do read the reviews. He just started a youtube channel a few months ago.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8VxlO68ses

Amir at Audio Science Review has always been polarizing. There's a long running 'feud' I guess you'd say with the Superbestaudiofriends ( yes, real name ) site and Head Fi because those sites are sponsored by / fanboys of Schiit audio and Amir showed that the earlier Schiit stuff measured terribly. In fairness to Schiit the newer products measure as well as anything on the market.

I don't know if any of you are familiar with NwAvGuy and the Objective 2 headphone amp and ODAC story but some people have speculated that Amir is him.

I don't believe measurements tell the whole story of anything but I do read the reviews. He just started a youtube channel a few months ago.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8VxlO68ses
Interesting that about NwAvGuy.......

Reactions: Gray

Gray

That's very interesting.
I really like the philosophy of the NwAvGuy, in fact the O-DAC was the first standalone DAC that I bought. It was no worse than others I'd previously tried, at up to 6x it's price.
(It was actually called the E-DAC - there was briefly a UK company called Epiphany Acoustics putting O-DACs in their own small metal cases).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 188533

My first discreet headphone amp was a Mayflower O2 - ODAC Rev B. I sold it last year just to make some room on my desk since my SMSL SP200 is basically the same neutral, 'wire with gain' concept and is 6w vs .6w with the O2.

rainsoothe

Measurements tell all. They are too bright. But I'm tempted to buy some, because they look like just what my old lugholes need!
They tell all but the most important part - whether YOU'll like that specific piece of gear or not.

1 comment that was saluted by the drones on ASR was that "the purpose of an amplifier is to do just that: amplify". But it's not, is it? It's purpose is to bring musical joy.

Reactions: SteveH72

gasolin

What did you buy?

Reactions: AndyCC72

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts