Audioquest Jitterbug

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I agree that a JitterBug is probably more suited to a laptop or average hi-fi component - the Zenith already has an excellent power supply, so I wouldn't expect to hear a difference with it. I've recently had some Jitterbugs delivered, so I have opened one to try out, it haven't had a chance to try it yet - I want to wait until I'm very familiar with a system in my relatively new surroundings.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
davidf said:
I agree that a JitterBug is probably more suited to a laptop or average hi-fi component - the Zenith already has an excellent power supply, so I wouldn't expect to hear a difference with it. I've recently had some Jitterbugs delivered, so I have opened one to try out, it haven't had a chance to try it yet - I want to wait until I'm very familiar with a system in my relatively new surroundings.

The Zenith is a great sounding product and a vast improvement over my NAS and network player, of that there is no doubt, but you have to admit they are a little "loose" with their explanation of what they have actually done in terms of noise isolation within their specifications...

http://www.innuos.com/en/catalog/go/zenith-mk2-std

They just state that the USB output is "ultra low noise" without any technical explanation whatsoever, hence my desire to try things like galvanic isolation to see if there is anything else that can be gained in terms of reducing the noise floor still further... I am not trying to change the sound of my system.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
davidf said:

Good plan. I have just had 2 weeks off work to recover from Christmas and have put 100 hours on to my pre-amplifier in that time according to the hours measure. Wife finished her maternity and back at work now and the kids both in nursery. Good times... *good*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
If you look inside you can see what the zenith is. Pop the lid and see exactly.

To compare to a more comprehensive equivalent from a retail point of view i can only think of the CAD CAT. They will likely be a Bristol Show if you want a listen.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
What eats away at the back of my mind with all of this is that high-end cables have been pretty much (rightfully or wrongfully) debunked and vilified from a scientific perspective. The general consensus is that electronics can make a difference, but cables cannot.

So, I f I was a cable manufacturer looking to segue from my failing, and if not disproved then disparaged, cable area, in to an as yet to be universally debunked area, then where would I go?

Is this the next area of exploitation for the snake oil merchant? I always trust my ears but I currently don't feel that I can trust anything!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Gazzip said:
The Zenith is a great sounding product and a vast improvement over my NAS and network player, of that there is no doubt, but you have to admit they are a little "loose" with their explanation of what they have actually done in terms of noise isolation within their specifications...

http://www.innuos.com/en/catalog/go/zenith-mk2-std

They just state that the USB output is "ultra low noise" without any technical explanation whatsoever, hence my desire to try things like galvanic isolation to see if there is anything else that can be gained in terms of reducing the noise floor still further... I am not trying to change the sound of my system.
Thats fair enough, always worth trying something, especially when it's quite a cheap option.

I get the impression that Innuos don't want to come across as on overly technical company in terms of their presentation to the public - sometimes it's just best to say what it is and leave the stuff in the background. I'm guessing they'll be at Bristol again this year, so you could pester their tech guy...

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
When are you getting the isolator Gazzip. UPS normally gives an delivery date as part of the tracking

I haven't received notification yet that it has been despatched, but Marcin only confirmed receipt of PayPal payment on Friday...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
davidf said:
Gazzip said:
The general consensus is that electronics can make a difference, but cables cannot.
How can the cables not make a difference, however small? The signal passes through them, right? If the signal passes through it, it can influence it...

Every cable will detract something from the original signal. Some also invite more interference from outside sources than others. They are also aerials in one form or another.

IME digital cables also have different attributes as witnessed when changing them between my DAC and CCA. Not something I always would have supported.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
davidf said:
Gazzip said:
The general consensus is that electronics can make a difference, but cables cannot.
How can the cables not make a difference, however small? The signal passes through them, right? If the signal passes through it, it can influence it...

Every cable will detract something from the original signal. Some also invite more interference from outside sources than others. They are also aerials in one form or another.

IME digital cables also have different attributes as witnessed when changing them between my DAC and CCA. Not something I always would have supported.

I personally agree with everything you just wrote. I just think that these days there is so much BS and snake oil mixed in with the products that actually do something, that many of us find ourselves questioning the whole product sector sometimes. Perhaps "growing general cynicism" is what I meant instead of "general consensus".

HDMI is a clear example of the BS. Reading a well known cable manufacturer's description of their range of ten HDMI's (£30 to £1200) is brazen beyond belief. Now it is all about the sonic improvements that these cables can bring. No mention of improvement to the display anymore. You remember those brighter colours and "razor sharp" pictures we were all promised and then sold? They have written those spurious claims (lies) out of their history.

Sometimes it just makes me doubt the whole thing really. The hangover isn't helping with my mood...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Gazzip said:
drummerman said:
davidf said:
Gazzip said:

I personally agree with everything you just wrote. I just think that these days there is so much BS and snake oil mixed in with the products that actually do something, that many of us find ourselves questioning the whole product sector sometimes. Perhaps "growing general cynicism" is what I meant instead of "general consensus". 

HDMI is a clear example of the BS. Reading a well known cable manufacturer's description of their range of ten HDMI's (£30 to £1200) is brazen beyond belief. Now it is all about the sonic improvements that these cables can bring. No mention of improvement to the display anymore. You remember those brighter colours and "razor sharp" pictures we were all promised and then sold? They have written those spurious claims (lies) out of their history. 

Sometimes it just makes me doubt the whole thing really. The hangover isn't helping with my mood...

Good for a walk. Nice and fresh it's good for your head :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
drummerman said:
davidf said:
Gazzip said:

I personally agree with everything you just wrote. I just think that these days there is so much BS and snake oil mixed in with the products that actually do something, that many of us find ourselves questioning the whole product sector sometimes. Perhaps "growing general cynicism" is what I meant instead of "general consensus". 

HDMI is a clear example of the BS. Reading a well known cable manufacturer's description of their range of ten HDMI's (£30 to £1200) is brazen beyond belief. Now it is all about the sonic improvements that these cables can bring. No mention of improvement to the display anymore. You remember those brighter colours and "razor sharp" pictures we were all promised and then sold? They have written those spurious claims (lies) out of their history. 

Thus is what ive been getting at. Was not having a go at you in anyway at all. All these products must cause a little doubt.

Are you any further towards going fully active yet?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Thus is what ive been getting at. Was not having a go at you in anyway at all. All these products must cause a little doubt.

Alas no. My budget for that went on a pre-amplifier when I discovered that a DAC with a variable output is definitely no substitute for a dedicated line-stage... Going active is still on my radar though.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:

Alas no. My budget for that went on a pre-amplifier when I discovered that a DAC with a variable output is definitely no substitute for a dedicated line-stage... Going active is still on my radar though.

Id have a dac/pre as a temporary arrangement.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:

Id have a dac/pre as a temporary arrangement.

If you had heard it you may not have. It was a terrible flat sound.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Thats the sort of thing that happens to me always mate - sorry about that dude.

I wont say how good my one is anymore then as i wouldn't want to rub any salt in.

In all seriousness i havent had a minute to get in front of mine last few days. Its been painful deciding between system and sleep neither have won as has got hardly any time of either.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts