Audioquest Jitterbug

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Just popped one of these in to my system! ...and then popped it straight back out again. It certainly did something to the sound, but not a something l particularly liked in my system.

It could be because my Innuos music server (in to which I plugged the JItterbug) is already filtering/choking the USB output, but I experienced a loss in dynamics, soundstage and volume with the bug in place.

You live and learn, but for £39 delivered it was worth the gamble I guess. I also have a J-Cat USB isolator on order so I will post my thoughts on this once received and plugged in.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Gazzip - was it def less dynamics or possibly removal of "fat" from the sound which can sometimes seem like its reducing dynamics?

Less bass but tighter bass for example - just out of curiosity because PC audio is funny like that - one tweak takes away, the next one adds back whats missing and you end up with best of both.

EDIT - you need to give the isolator time - it gets better over a bit of time 50 hours ish - of course this is madness but worth bearing in mind. Just leave it playing overnight

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It had crossed my mind that I might be listening to a purer signal which I just didn't like, but with the soundstage having also all but disappeared I figured that something in the interaction between Zenith and bug, or bug and DAC wasn't working happily. Audioquest advise not using Jitterbugs in series to prevent unwanted interactions between them, so if the Innuos is also choking...

EDIT: Reply to #2 not #3... This website is shockingly bad!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Gazzip said:
It had crossed my mind that I might be listening to a purer signal which I just didn't like, but with the soundstage having also all but disappeared I figured that something in the interaction between Zenith and bug, or bug and DAC wasn't working happily. Audioquest advise not using Jitterbugs in series to prevent unwanted interactions between them, so if the Innuos is also choking...

That doesnt sound like what I am on about - I am sure you are right in your synopsis.

Its normally when you go back that its obvious - associated dynamics are back but its not as clean so its obviously an improvement but potentially highlighting another flaw somewhere or just need to adjust to it for a bit

Andrewjvt said:
Too many devices in the chain. Either the innous zenith works or does not.

I'd agree there are places this device will show evident improvements and others where it will not.

I have one and have tried it between my external USB hard drive and my Oppo 105 acting as server.... ( not a good idea). Then I tried it using my laptops output direct to an external DAC (cheap) then into preamp ( much improvement) and probably where it is going to come into it's own.

If you have a Innuos then my usual advice as to keeping it simple would appear to hold true.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
hi gazzip

The jitterbug (and the uptone regen) has been proven to introduce noise in to the signal chain, not remove it.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?18580-Science-Thread-Review-of-Audioquest-Jitterbug-and-Uptone-Regen-USB-Conditioners

An interesting series of tests and conclusions. I especially like that he bothered to carry out a subjective listening test at the end, instead of dismissing the products purely on their respective measurements. Thanks cheeseboy!

The J-Cat as a galvanic isolator is (I hope) a different beast...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
hi gazzip

The jitterbug (and the uptone regen) has been proven to introduce noise in to the signal chain, not remove it.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?18580-Science-Thread-Review-of-Audioquest-Jitterbug-and-Uptone-Regen-USB-Conditioners
It has also been proven to reduce jitter and re-shape the square form to more of what it should look like (Miller Labs).

Reviews of it are mixed. There seems to be an equal number of positive to negative. Certainly no concensus.

Thanks Gazzip.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Gazzip did you get the jact iso usb cable as well or just going to use one of yours?

No, I went for an adapter in the end to plug the isolator straight in to the back of my DAC. This was a little pricey but I couldn't find anything like it in the U.K...

http://www.sonore.us/adapter.html

I will have to build a little support device for it so that it plugs in to my DAC on the level and doesn't fall out, but I have loads of unused Black Ravioli knocking around with which to build a pyre on which to rest it... *biggrin*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I could make a link like that - thats an easy build direct connections as it is but JCat is triple screened tip to tip inc the connectors being aluminium thats why I buy them because making that is not so easy :)

It will more than do the job though mate so let me know how you get on.

All the best

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Gazzip said:
ellisdj said:
Gazzip did you get the jact iso usb cable as well or just going to use one of yours?

No, I went for an adapter in the end to plug the isolator straight in to the back of my DAC. This was a little pricey but I couldn't find anything like it in the U.K...

I will have to build a little support device for it so that it plugs in to my DAC on the level and doesn't fall out, but I have loads of unused Black Ravioli knocking around with which to build a pyre on which to rest it... *biggrin*

not really what you wanted to hear, apologies, but just in case anybody else was looking for one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Type-Male-Printer-Converter-Adapter/dp/B002B9AR8I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1484921820&sr=8-3&keywords=HDE%C2%AE+USB+Type+A+Male+to+USB+Type+B+Male+Adapter

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The only thing I might conceivably plug in to USB (on my Quad Vena's integrated DAC) would be my iPhone with it's USB - Lightning cable.

I use AirPlay as there is barely - if any - difference to being 'hard-wired' in terms of sound quality.

Is the Jitterbug going to work between iPhone and DAC? If so, what improvement can I expect? How can I tell whether, or not, Quad have already 'isolated' the USB connection?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
Gazzip said:
ellisdj said:

not really what you wanted to hear, apologies, but just in case anybody else was looking for one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Type-Male-Printer-Converter-Adapter/dp/B002B9AR8I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1484921820&sr=8-3&keywords=HDE%C2%AE+USB+Type+A+Male+to+USB+Type+B+Male+Adapter

Balls. I looked and looked and looked for one of those last night, but to no avail. Grrrrr... Also shipping from the US, but still...

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:

Yes, but I won't know unless I try these things now will I? It could have been amazing! Alas in my system it was not...

Sorry, i must have misheard/read you when you said a few months ago that the zenith already sounded amazing!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Gazzip said:

That doesnt sound like what I am on about - I am sure you are right in your synopsis.

Its normally when you go back that its obvious - associated dynamics are back but its not as clean so its obviously an improvement but potentially highlighting another flaw somewhere or just need to adjust to it for a bit 

Yes we (i) do understand what you mean.

Distortion can be incorrectly interpreted as volume (dynamics??)

Removing distortion from a system can also be misread as lack of dynamics (at first)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
If i were going to keep my laptop as my playback device, i would really consider one but not for a device designed with a good quality, quiet power supply with low noise, buzz level and cross talk.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:

Yes, but I won't know unless I try these things now will I? It could have been amazing! Alas in my system it was not...

Sorry, i must have misheard/read you when you said a few months ago that the zenith already sounded amazing!

Not really sure what you are trying to say Andrew? It does sound great but it potentially could sound better. Thereagain it may have reached its Zenith (no pun intended). I don't know without trying new things. Why shouldn't I / wouldn't I try to make my system sound better (to me) if I could?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:

Not really sure what you are trying to say Andrew? It does sound great but it potentially could sound better. Thereagain it may have reached its Zenith (no pun intended). I don't know without trying new things. Why shouldn't I / wouldn't I try to make my system sound better (to me) if I could? 

Is it real sound improvement or the media influence that makes us think we can or need better.
Ive been accused of chasing rainbows just for wanting better speakers.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I can't imagine a source being any better than a Zenith and the highest quality DAC you can get. Chord or Classé DACs would be my current choice from those I've heard (Classe's are always integrated though).

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
davidf said:
I can't imagine a source being any better than a Zenith and the highest quality DAC you can get. Chord or Classé DACs would be my current choice from those I've heard (Classe's are always integrated though).

I couldn't imagine a source being any better than my NAS in to a Simaudio network player in to my DAC until I heard the Zenith in to my DAC...

The AQ Jitterbug was a punt that for me did not pay off. It has paid off for plenty of other people so I thought it worth s try for £39. £39 that Amazon will give back to me I might add!

There is nothing wrong with a bit of system tweaking to get that little bit more if it is there to get. It may not be there and I may be at my end game, but if I don't try these things then I will never know...

mikkoV

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
Recommend to try Intona as well. Im planning to buy it cause many have said it to be maybe even better than usb regen. Usb regen and jitterbug combo sounds amazing but havent found solution how to make neither of them working with new usb c cables.

TRENDING THREADS