Audioquest Jitterbug

praggers1

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I have my CD collection ripped, (lossless of course), into itunes on a Mac mini. This is then connected via USB into an Arcam rDAC, which is connected to my Pre Amp.

Anyone have a view on whether adding an Audioquest Jitterbug to the Mac mini would have a noticable difference?

I know its only 40 quid, but hey, thats a nice bottle of wine!

Thanks, Steve

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
As far as I am aware, the progress in eliminating the audible effects of jitter has been total since the 1970s when the BBC first tested it on audiences.

DACs have been present in CD players since 1983 and I don't recall jitter ever being a problem even at the beginnings of the format. (Nor with the numerous digital recordings made since the 1970s prior to CDs.)

The BBC started rolling out digital distribution of their FM content (between studios and transmitters) from the late 1970s onwards. BBC FM has effectively been digital (except for the first few metres in the studio and the 'last leg' between transmitter and your home/car) for up to almost 40 years depending on where you lived relative to the 'roll-out' timetable at the time.

I don't recall anyone complaining about 'jitter' with good old FM 'analogue' radio in the last few decades. (The quality of BBC FM broadcasts - especially Radio 3 - were often used as a rod with which to beat digital formats ironically.)

It seems only the rise of separate DACs and streaming devices etc. have triggered a bunch of gizmos like this one. If you have a competently designed DAC, then jitter should no longer be an issue. It hasn't been an issue (for the consumer) for many years AFAIK.

If anyone can show the technical/industry data to disavow me of this opinion then please tell me.

Get that bottle of wine.

Slightly to my surprise, a recent test in Hifi News magazine - Oct 2015 - not only reported clear audible improvements, but showed them by measurement too. It has been universally well reviewed. I recall WHF gave it 5 stars too.

Whilst I have huge respect for chebby, it isn't jitter per se that seems to be the issue, but the USB method of transmission.

It will last longer than a bottle of wine too!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If it's noise/RFI then surely the ferrite core (bead?) in the USB cable takes care of that. (Or can be bought separately for pennies if your USB lead doesn't have one.)

However, I don't use USB in any audio context any more (except Apple Lightning - USB leads just for charging my iOS devices), so i'll 'butt out' now.

abacus

If the external DAC is of good quality, then it will isolate itself from the USB control of the computer and control the data itself, therefore these types of add-ons will make no difference, hence you will never see them in pro recording studios (The ones that produce the music you listen to) as they all use quality DACs.

Unfortunately, in Hi-Fi a lot of equipment is designed to produce a specific type of sound, (Rhythmic, smooth, open, insightful etc. which in reality is merely colouring the original sound) so it may cause a small change in this type of overhyped, overpriced, poor quality equipment.

Hope this helps

Bill

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
If anyone can show the technical/industry data to disavow me of this opinion then please tell me.

I don't know if this qualifies as technical data (as in images of graphs, or numbers generated by test equipment), but you may find these posts interesting reading.

Rob Watts (the chord designer) was recently curious as to why some members were posting that they found that the jitterbug improved the sound of the DAVE. He had long been advising that the jitterbug, would have no impact of the jitter performance of Chord DACs. Anyway he was curious enough to test a jitterbug himself.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/3390#post_12667045

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/3435#post_12681548

His conclusions "So what does this tell us? Basically the most significant path of RF is residual coupling via the USB, not via the mains supply as the jitterbug alone gets you most of the way. Use the jitter bug for mains powered USB sources - it is worth the small cost."

Rob is almost obsessive about preventing RFI from degrading DAC performance, and in some of his other posts he has mentioned that there is no one solution to removing RFI, because you have to use different approaches for high frequency RFI and lower frequency RFI, so ferrite chokes will not stop all RFI, only part of the RFI spectrum.

A pro product of similar intent has just been reviewed by a familiar face here:-

https://andreweverard.com/2016/07/12/review-mutec-mc-3-usb-clocking-the-best-way-to-improve-your-digital-audio/

Anyone who believes that DACs sort everything out are probably not quite correct. A worthwhile read for anyone interested in improving digital replay.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
If RF is the issue, why not use the optical out of the Mac Mini?

If jitter is the issue, then optical is apparently not as good and you can do asynchronous reclocking from USB.

Personally I can't hear the difference between USB and optical in my setup and there is no difference in how narrow I can set the lock range (i.e. how sensitive my DAC is to jitter). Personally, I wouldn't bother, but then I've gotten tired of chasing minor gains of the, I think there's a difference, but it could be imagined level.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts