Audiophile opinions urgently needed...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am currently in the process of improving my home multiroom AirPlay network and need advice on an upgrade idea;

My music is streamed from my iMac in the dining room via the Remote app and connected directly to the computer via the 3.5mm headphone jack is a cheap (but impressive for the price) Logitech 2.1 system. It has done me proud whilst I saved to build up the system (already have B&W Zeppelin Air in the bedroom, a B&W Zeppelin Mini in the kitchen via an AirPort Express and the lounge is taken care of by utilising an Apple TV to stream audio to my TV surround speakers).

The logitechs which are physically connected to the iMac are the items needing an upgrade and I like the idea of using the Arcam Rcube in their place. However, as it will be sat next to the computer which, unlike the logitechs which have a left and right speaker either side of the monitor for stereo imaging, can only be located on one side of the screen so I am considering getting 2 to use in stereo mode -when my budget allows me to buy a second unit that is! My question is this; can I use a device like the Arcam Rcube (which I assume already broadcasts in stereo) to physically produce stereo imaging by running two simultaneously or is there a fundamental flaw I am unaware of that will ruin the sound?

A

Anonymous

I'm not sure that rcube's can be used as a stereo pair (like the sonos play systems)

How about a pair of decent powered speakers, for that price you should get good quality? If its sat next to the mac I guess you don't need most of the features of the rCube? Or are you looking to feed something a digital signal?

J

A

Anonymous

It was my intention to utilise the portability of the device to bring the music into the garden during BBQ's and party's. If I have two I get the stereo imaging (or do i?) when sat at the computer and for an occasion like a BBQ I can remove one of the Rcubthe and put it in the garden whilst still leaving the other in situ providing music into that room.

I am pretty taken with the sound produced by the Rcube but my preferred system would be a Zeppelin Air but again this would prove even less suitable. I considered wall mounting a device centrally above the screen but this has it's own problems namely (a) firing the sound over my head (b) not having the wall space to mount anything that wouldn't (c) totally ruin the aesthetics of the dining room. I did audition the Focal XS 2.1 system at the Bristol What HiFi show and was suitably impressed but I'm not sure. Ive heard good reviews but not amazing reviews like what the Zeppelin and the Rcube enjoy. Am I wrong? Has anyone really heard these properly?They are pricier than the Rcubes (remember ill be buying one initially with scope to get a second when affordable) in the region of £100 (concentrating on immediate outlay in the short term rather than total cost overall) and I wouldn't be able to make use of the portability feature. Focal do a stereo set called 'Books' (I think) but they are dimensionally and aesthetically unsuitable.

Whats the worst that could happen running two Rcubes in stereo? What am I likely to experience? Obviously amazing sound is my goal so that takes priority providing it can be made to work in my scenario.

paulensell1 said:
Whats the worst that could happen running two Rcubes in stereo? What am I likely to experience? Obviously amazing sound is my goal so that takes priority providing it can be made to work in my scenario.

It won't work in stereo mode. You will not get that stereo separation.

Have you considered Sonos Play:5? That seems more suited to your needs.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I think Cube works in stereo even though it's one box. I don't think you could mix two of them to get stereo set-up. I think it'd better if you saved a few months more and get yourself something like Dynaudio XEO3 active speakers. this option will probably give you all you're looking for; wireless transmission of audio signal and a pair of speakers for better stereo imaging.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for your thoughts guys.

A Sonos system would hardly suit my needs. As my source runs on Apple software and transmits the media via proprietary Apple RF to each device using Apples AirPlay technology which is, I'm sure, incompatible with any non-AirPlay hardware. How would replacing my expensive equipment (which I am absolutely satisfied with) for a different brand of expensive equipment solve the issue of finding a system to run on my computer?

Ill check the Dynaudio you mention. But going back to a known set of systems that I am likely to buy i.e either a Zeppelin Air, an Arcam Rcube or the Focal XS. Priority number one is sound reproduction. I know that the Zeppelin and Rcube meets my needs in that department but another Zeppelin purchase is unfeasible due to its dimensions and no suitable location. The Rcube is dimensionally perfect and 2 units either side would solve my aesthetic issues (and gain me a bonus portability point) but I'm concerned I'll have a severe problem with fidelity. Bear in mind, I'm not after a reference quality system reproducing perfect imaging instead I'm looking for lovely musical sound that's balanced when sat in between two units. According to my research I can easily run 2 units via the Rwanda which also gives me portable streaming. It all comes down to whether two units broadcasting simultaneously in close proximity will create unfavourable results.

Finally the Focal XS. Good sound from what I remember but I cannot trust my memory completely as I was listening to many different systems during the day. Aesthetically the best scenario but my priority is quality of sound. Both the Arcam and the Focals have a charging dock which is a plus but what I need to know is, from someone who knows, are the Focals as good sounding as the Arcam? Close? Nowhere near as good? Better? If worse, can dual Rcubes run together without major problems (I.e will it sound ****)

Many thanks in advance

paulensell1 said:
A Sonos system would hardly suit my needs. As my source runs on Apple software and transmits the media via proprietary Apple RF to each device using Apples AirPlay technology which is, I'm sure, incompatible with any non-AirPlay hardware. How would replacing my expensive equipment (which I am absolutely satisfied with) for a different brand of expensive equipment solve the issue of finding a system to run on my computer?

Well, actually, Sonos IS AirPlay compatible, by connecting it to Airport Express.

Check this:

http://www.sonos.com/airplay/

That way, you will have the best of both: AirPlay & Sonos' own mesh network, giving you a wider option to upgrade in the future.

Both Play:3 & Play:5 can play songs on their own, & can work as a stereo when paired with another Play:3 or Play:5.

Optionally, you can connect any passive speakers of your choice with Connect:Amp, or powered/active speakers or Hi-Fi amplifier to Connect. Therefore, you can make all Hi-Fi speakers & amplifiers available in the market AirPlay compatible with Sonos. :cheers:

A

Anonymous

It seems an illogical way to do things. Especially considering that this is the one room where I don't require any type of streaming ability - the speakers will be located next to my source iMac therefore makes sense to use a physical connection. The Arcam merely gives me an additional feature which could prove handy. I don't require any further networking ability. My current setup is simple and intuitive and I'd prefer to keep it that way.

Besides, I auditioned the Sonos range at The Gadget Show last month and came away unimpressed.

Come on guys, there must be someone who has a non-biased opinion on the quality of the Focal XS system and/or a technical viewpoint suggesting pros or cons of running two Rcubes together...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Unimpressed? Each to their own I guess but do you even know if you run two rcubes in a stereo formation? I'm not aware they have that functionality, they'd need to be perfectly synced, otherwise it won't work.

A

Anonymous

I know that you can run up to 6 (I think) individual units using the rWave USB dongle for multiroom setup but I would guess perfect synchronisation is less important in that scenario whereas your point is pretty critical in close proximity. So thanks, I hadn't considered that potential.

As for the Sonos system, when I say unimpressed; don't get me wrong they are very capable and good sounding but for me it wasn't 'great'. Not enough to justify the price as I thought they lacked transparency and certainly didn't have the low end capability of what I've come to enjoy from the Zeppelin range.

Ive opted for the Focal XS 2.1 satellites which were delivered today but as I'm stranded on a boat in Luanda you'll have to wait for my opinion...if you're at all interested which I doubt ;-)

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
paulensell1 said:
...if you're at all interested which I doubt ;-)

ALways interested to hear how things ended up and get a review. It serves as a great resource for others who might have a similar problem, etc.

Nothing worse than someone who starts a post seeking help then doesn't conclude it. Everyone likes a happy ending :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts