Audiophile newbie, pregnant wife --> Need new set up recommendations!

VS85

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm new to the audiophile world. I've always been in love with sound. I am an amateur pianist (been playing for 20 years now). The first thing I bought when I had the money was an acoustic piano because I couldn't stand the sound from my older digital piano (a fairly high end one). So I think I have it in me to be an audiophile. ;)

Like the title says, my wife just got a positive pregnancy test. This has spurred me to look for new speakers because among other things like my wife's nutrition, a primary responsibility that I have is to provide the developing baby a great sonic atmosphere. So I'm looking to buy a good set up mainly to play classical music and jazz. I will probably stick to a two channel stereo set up to get more bang for the buck. Being a student, I have a limited budget of $1000 for everything included (speakers, amp/receiver, cd player, and misc stuff like speaker wires). I'll also need to get cd's since I currently have my music collection in mp3 format on my computer.

Please make suggestions for complete systems because I know that there are certain speakers that work better with one kind of receiver than another.

Here are is a shortlist that I've come up with for speakers (but I have very little idea what to pair them with in terms of amp/receiver). Some of these may be on the higher end leaving me little money for the other stuff that I will need but if it is really worth the money, I can come up with an extra couple of hundred bucks:

1. Paradigm monitor 9 (10 years old,on Craigslist, I can get a pair for $250)

2. Infinity primus p363

3. polk monitor 70 (newegg deal on dealsnews = $143/ea. Don't know if this deal has expired)

4. pioneer spfs52 $129 ea on amazon

5. Boston Acoustics A 360

6. B&W 683 (1 yr old) on CL for $1k / pair, trying to negotiate down a bit

7. KEF Q500 (around $850/pair)

8. Klipsch RF 62 II ($760/pair)

9. Klipsch RF 52 II ($560/pair)

10. Polk RTi A7 ($740/pair) or A5 for around $600/pair

I'm also looking at this combo: Marantz CD5004 ($279) paired with the Marantz PM 5004 ($359) integrated amp

Also, are there any stores that typically offer great deals on Black Friday for the kinds of speakers mentioned on this list?

Thanks!

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
First of all, congratulations on your imminent arrival, one can not truly appreciate the joy a new Hi-Fi can bring till you experience it for yourself. I’m mean that in jest of course, congratulations on imminent fatherhood!

Others will hopefully be able to make specific suggestions better than I but I think may people will tell you if they were to start again from scratch they’d likely go for active speakers. I’m not so good on which come in budget (assuming you’re in the U.S since you quote in dollars?) but have a look at the likes of Dynaudio, Adam and Swam. You’d then need some way to control them such as a cheap DAC / Pre.

Actives are of course not the only option but certainly take a look.

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Marantz CD5001, I think it was, to partner a PM6002(which had improved my system). I was unimpressed by the 5001, which did nothing to improve the sound and broke after 4 years. In fact when I used a DVD player briefly to play cds after it broke, the sound didn't seem worse. If you could I would aim higher than the 5000 series.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
VS85 said:
Like the title says, my wife just got a positive pregnancy test. This has spurred me to look for new speakers because among other things like my wife's nutrition, a primary responsibility that I have is to provide the developing baby a great sonic atmosphere.

Congratulations! You are so wise. One of the best things we ever did was to have a reasonable system playing good music (and to our taste) throughout, between and after my wife's two pregnancies. I am convinced it had an impact of the kids appreciation of serious music (mostly rock) even down to the love of individual albums heard by the bumps while my wife did the ironing and other household chores. Keep the TV turned off and let the music play.

VS85

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the wishes and responses so far! Yes, I live in the US. Is this predominantly a UK forum? If so, I might consider posting my query in a more American forum.

VS85

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
I would have a look at a Marantz all in one system like the 610, then just buy speakers, I don't know american speakers so can't advise.

Excellent, just read a review. Exactly what I need. I'll probably still look at separate systems and compare, but this is an excellent option to keep in mind. Thanks!

VS85

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
ifor said:
VS85 said:
Like the title says, my wife just got a positive pregnancy test. This has spurred me to look for new speakers because among other things like my wife's nutrition, a primary responsibility that I have is to provide the developing baby a great sonic atmosphere.

Congratulations! You are so wise. One of the best things we ever did was to have a reasonable system playing good music (and to our taste) throughout, between and after my wife's two pregnancies. I am convinced it had an impact of the kids appreciation of serious music (mostly rock) even down to the love of individual albums heard by the bumps while my wife did the ironing and other household chores. Keep the TV turned off and let the music play.

Thanks :). I'm most certainly keeping the TV turned off which is why I don't even plan to hook these up to the TV.

matthewpiano

Which piano do you have?

Like you, I'm a pianist. I also work in the piano trade. One thing I've found is that listening so intently to the sound of a real acoustic instrument has made me a bit fussy when it comes to hi-fi sound, despite the relatively beer-budget finances I have to spend. One challenge I've found is getting the depth of sound and I think the speakers are key to this. If you have access to the Dali Zensor 3s I would strongly recommend an audition. After going through lots of different speakers these really hit the spot. I've found they are good enough to show up differences in amplification and, after a year of using a Denon PMA720AE (which was very good), I've recently changed to the Pioneer which offers just that bit more clarity and a slightly more natural sound. The Pioneer/Dali combination works very well and is musically very involving. Well worth a try and great value for money.

Hope this is helpful.

VS85

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Which piano do you have?

Like you, I'm a pianist. I also work in the piano trade. One thing I've found is that listening so intently to the sound of a real acoustic instrument has made me a bit fussy when it comes to hi-fi sound, despite the relatively beer-budget finances I have to spend. One challenge I've found is getting the depth of sound and I think the speakers are key to this. If you have access to the Dali Zensor 3s I would strongly recommend an audition. After going through lots of different speakers these really hit the spot. I've found they are good enough to show up differences in amplification and, after a year of using a Denon PMA720AE (which was very good), I've recently changed to the Pioneer which offers just that bit more clarity and a slightly more natural sound. The Pioneer/Dali combination works very well and is musically very involving. Well worth a try and great value for money.

Hope this is helpful.

I have the Yamaha P22 studio upright piano. It is less than ideal (too bright). So the first thing I'll buy when I buy my own house is a grand piano. I don't care if I have to take out a fairly large loan.. it is the one thing that I've dreamt of owning in my life (I can give up almost every other worldly possession of mine for a Bosendorfer).

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll see if I can find them around here for an audition.

matthewpiano

Yes, the Yamahas can be bright but have very good mechanics. Their new SE122 upright has Bosendorfer bass strings and renner hammers and is much richer tonally than Yamahas have traditionally been. The new CX series grands also seem to be going for a more European sound.

I have a Schimmel upright myself - a C120i. Lovely piano.

The Bosendorfers are beautiful. I've sold a couple of their new uprights recently and we have their 200cm grand in stock. Just gorgeous craftsmanship and such a unique sound. Some of the new C.Bechstein pianos are also very nice - particularly the Classic 124 upright.

Anyway, sorry for the O/T. Hope you find a hi-fi you can enjoy, and best wishes for the new arrival.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Yes, the Yamahas can be bright but have very good mechanics. Their new SE122 upright has Bosendorfer bass strings and renner hammers and is much richer tonally than Yamahas have traditionally been. The new CX series grands also seem to be going for a more European sound.

I have a Schimmel upright myself - a C120i. Lovely piano.

The Bosendorfers are beautiful. I've sold a couple of their new uprights recently and we have their 200cm grand in stock. Just gorgeous craftsmanship and such a unique sound. Some of the new C.Bechstein pianos are also very nice - particularly the Classic 124 upright.

Anyway, sorry for the O/T. Hope you find a hi-fi you can enjoy, and best wishes for the new arrival.

Matthew, I doubt your apology is necessary. Reading about the sound of different pianos is much more interesting (to me at least) than reading about hifi. I only wish I could play ... :cry:

namefail

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
VS85 have you tried placing your piano right against a wall to improve its bass and also make sure it’s on spikes. :) And let me echo everyones well wishes to you and yours!

VS85

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
namefail said:
VS85 have you tried placing your piano right against a wall to improve its bass and also make sure it’s on spikes. :) And let me echo everyones well wishes to you and yours!

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Another alternative is to buy a Sonos and plug directly into a pair of Mackie MR6 mk3's, sign up to Spotify and you'd still have $200 change from you budget.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
skippy said:
Another alternative is to buy a Sonos and plug directly into a pair of Mackie MR6 mk3's, sign up to Spotify and you'd still have $200 change from you budget.

I'd do something similar, but also consider used versions of the Dynaudio BM5As and Mackie HR624.

An Airport Express could also be a susbtitue for the Sonos.

mitoda

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
If you can stretch a litte, I would recommend Dynaudio DM 2/6 paired with Marrantz CR610. I've done extensive research for my recent buy and ended with the DM 2/7 with Marrantz PM 6004 and I absolutely love them!

Others on my list were, monitor audio bronze BX2 and Tannoy revolution DC6, but could not find a dealer who have them on display (Kansas City, MO)

Good luck

VS85

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Overdose said:
skippy said:

I'd do something similar, but also consider used versions of the Dynaudio BM5As and Mackie HR624.

An Airport Express could also be a susbtitue for the Sonos.

So let me try and understand this set up. You are suggesting that I buy a pair of powered speakers (so that I won't need an amp?) and connect them to a network player so that I can stream music online and also into other rooms of the house if needed (just get additional sonos speakers as and when required)? That sounds like a very good idea to me, just need to understand all aspects of it before I consider that option. Let me know (in very newbie language) if my understanding is correct.

Also, why do you suggest monitors and not tower speakers? What is the difference between the two? I consistently keep hearing that three way tower speakers are better for most classical music.

VS85

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Also wanted to add that the shape of my living room is L shaped with the TV set up on the short segment of the L. It is a carpetted area with plenty of furniture (an L shaped leather couch, an ottoman, a piano, and a dining table with chairs in the longer segment of the L). We have two bedrooms (one is a guest bedroom where I've also set up a home office). However, that room also has a bed in it, it is going to be difficult to convert that to a stereo room. So I'll probably need to put the speakers on either side of the TV so that I can also use them for movies occasionally. The L shaped living room is pretty big. Here's the layout (an L rotated 90 deg clockwise):

----- PIANO ------- ---- L shaped couch------

| | |__________|

| |_______ | Coffee Table

|<--- Full sized Ottoman

| Glass doors | ___-----TV---- __ ___

| walk through |___________________|_______________kitchen____

Thanks.

VS85

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
After spending ages on the internet reading reviews, I finally pulled the trigger on a pair of Emp Tek e55ti's. The only bad comment I've read about them is the lack of bass coverage. However, I didn't want to order the matching subwoofer immediately (it's on sale for $199 now). I need the money to put into a Harmon Kardon 3490 stereo receiver (which is what a few other owners of these speakers recommend) as well as a cd player (unless I can just play cd's on an old JVC dvd player that I have). Another receiver I'm considering is the Onkyo TX8050.

Any opinions regarding Onkyo TX8050 vs HK 3490 for these Emp Tek speakers?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts