Audiophile network switches

There’s a Melco for about £2,000 the new English Electric from Chord Cables for about £600 and a few others I can’t recall. Oh, and one from Russ Andrews too..

I can just about credit they make a difference in an excellent system, but probably very location dependent. As someone who uses the router provided by my ISP, I do use a basic Netgear switch as recommended by Linn. Some reckon those can be improved with a better power supply. So there’s scope to experiment for under £100!

Last edited:

Longchops

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site
Anyone tried one and found it made a noticeable difference to the sound quality when streaming?

to test this hypothesis I guess you would need two complete hifi systems, two telephones and two internet connections?

The people that sell this kind of stuff know that no one is ever going to do that so they can make up whatever they like about subtle nuances and urgent timing safe in the knowledge that no one will ever put it to the test.

There seems to be a very fine line in the hifi industry with this kind of stuff. On one hand a lot of it sounds like a total scam, on the other hand a lot of the time the people that sell such things genuinely appear to believe that they have a great product on their hands

RobGardner

Jul 22, 2008
Visit site
I would certainly expect a Hi-Fi tuned switch to sound different and probably better than a non Hi-Fi switch, mainly due to more care with rf shielding and resonance controls. I believe most switches also do some form or re-clocking to alleviate jitter, so no doubt also something going on in the electronics I would not expect them to be good value for money and I certainly wouldn’t expect any connection made through any switch to sound as good as a connection made without a switch in it.

Reactions: spacecadet

spacecadet

Jan 21, 2021
Visit site
Rob is 100% right...but is a Hi-Fi tuned switch actually worth £449? It's your hard earned.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts