thought could start something where people list events, clubs or places where they offer high quialty audio that ain't just weird audiophile conventions:

for london check out spiritland been there a few times, fun to check out the soundsystem with a beer (but wish they would turn it up) they also put on a good selection of music and have certain days when they spin whole albums.

sunfall festival is in a few weeks got some great djs, a record fair and looks like its going to have a good soundsystem

anyone check out the pink floyd thing at the V & A? worth going too?

if anyone sees a wolfgang tillmans art show check it out he usually has a room focusing on celebrating studio recordings. where he plays colourbox on a pair of B&W 800 d3 speakers (which didn't sound great seeing their the flagship speakers. maybe room acoustics? reckon he could of done better seeing alot of companies would kill to put their speakers on show like that)

anyone recommend any particualr musicans or bands that focus on their sound set up?

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Elliott Leishman said:
thought could start something where people list events, clubs or places where they offer high quialty audio that ain't just weird audiophile conventions:

for london check out spiritland been there a few times, fun to check out the soundsystem with a beer (but wish they would turn it up) they also put on a good selection of music and have certain days when they spin whole albums.

sunfall festival is in a few weeks got some great djs, a record fair and looks like its going to have a good soundsystem

if anyone sees a wolfgang tillmans art show check it out he usually has a room focusing on celebrating studio recordings. where he plays colourbox on a pair of B&W 800 d3 speakers (which didn't sound great seeing their the flagship speakers. maybe room acoustics? reckon he could of done better seeing alot of companies would kill to put their speakers on show like that)

anyone recommend any particualr musicans or bands that focus on their sound set up?

avoid hi fi wigwam, and the scalford show. That is a load of middle aged fruitcakes trying to show a Sony stereo of the 80s with some 40 year old speakers is better than a naim and pmc system.

The best show I went to was the Bristol show , which is just lots of systems, all about sound, and lots of joe bloggs hi fi people. No hi fi bores.

friendly_ghost

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I've not been personally, but my girlfriend did visit the PF-exhibition and thought it was brilliant. Well worth a day out. Do take some time for it though, it appears to be quite extensive.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Elliott Leishman said:

avoid hi fi wigwam, and the scalford show. That is a load of middle aged fruitcakes trying to show a Sony stereo of the 80s with some 40 year old speakers is better than a naim and pmc system.

The best show I went to was the Bristol show , which is just lots of systems, all about sound, and lots of joe bloggs hi fi people. No hi fi bores.

Nothing wrong with Scalford - It's a show put on by hifi and music lovers - there is an great deal of quality gear on show much of it from real enthusiasts. Professional Companies appear too (eg Linn were demoing stuff (v.busy!) .

There are so many rooms - the programme content shows all the room with hifi systems listed - great people with great music - friendly and knowledgeable people.

They don't do it for personal gain - all funds raised this year went to a cancer charity - as I said great people at Scalford!

cheers tonky

The Pink Floyd exhibition is apparently excellent according to an old friend, so I'm hoping to make it before long.

Rather than shows, per se, although I often attend Bristol as its relatively local, the best experiences are usually dealer demo days. Ortofon are embarking on a tour with six different cartridges. Chord often have a range of cables. KEF had some outings of the Blade loudspeaker when it was launched, and Naim sometimes do similar.

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I've found everyone on the HiFiWigwam forum with one exception to be very pleasant and helpful, even though I only have a basic system. They are down to earth and not snobs. Unfortunately the Scalford show is much too far away for me but it could be fun.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I don't think it's predominantly music lovers. They might like a lot of music and have quite varied tastes but ask them about certain new music, and music not really of their time, and the attitude you will get is I won't bother listening to that. I put up reviews on that site of 2017 music under 'springer spaniel' and the regulars didn't get involved, only people like insider9 (on here) who has decent and open minded tastes, in my opinion. Bizarrely three or four people told me on the wam they don't like any new music.

The enthusiasts are people who put non commercial gear together but it's not any better than conventional commercial hi fi, in fact I think it's often worse. And when they do put a good system together it's not like it's competing well above a similar priced commercial set up. So it's a bit of a non hobby for me e.g. Scalford. Within the bounds of decent systems, I prefer to keep it like that, get people interested in the point of getting to the decent systems, but anymore is largely splitting hairs over quality and/or enjoyability from the hi fi, to almost make the 'audiophile' hobby of never ending improvements a bit boring. There will come a point where a zenith for you is reached, and you won't want to keep discussing whether this is better or what not. Help others maybe, but not yourselves. These bores just keep on going regardless. So most of their regulars are not about the music.

and this thing they don't do it for personal gain. The members might not, but the owners certainly are interested in the commercial side. What's odd is the forum is run as a limited company and clearly with advertising and revenue, plus other business ideas - I think they make money from the hi fi store thing, but they advertise it as a community helping a community on a voluntary basis. So it's somewhat contradictory, that they are using the regulars to try and build a business for free, at the same time owners make money. But also odd that the number of people who contribute is small too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts