admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

Just wondering when people ask for suggestion's for hi fi kit why no-one mentions Audiolab ? I think its good mid-range kit. I own a new 8000cd and 8000s and they both great. Just curious why people don't seem to buy this make !

Gbeer7

A

Anonymous

I also have 8000S + 8000CD which I bought very cheaply, and think they sound excellent.

I think its maybe not a very 'fashionable' brand, and as production has switched to China, many see the new kit as inferior. I say each to their own, I love it!!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I think it's good mid-range gear as well.

I'm going to demo the Audiolab amps and CDP later this week or earlier next week hopefully along side the Arcam FMJ A18 amp and CD17 CDP with B&W 684 and CM7 speakers.

I'll update on here soon
emotion-1.gif

Gbeer7:

Hi All,

Just wondering when people ask for suggestion's for hi fi kit why no-one mentions Audiolab ? I think its good mid-range kit. I own a new 8000cd and 8000s and they both great. Just curious why people don't seem to buy this make !

Gbeer7

That's the problem with Audiolab, since its re-introduction about 4 years ago it is a good, solid make.....not outstanding.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:That's the problem with Audiolab, since its re-introduction about 4 years ago it is a good, solid make.....not outstanding.

So how many outstanding amps are there nowadays for about £350 brand new?

(Although I wish the 8000S had kept the tone controls from the original 8000A.)

A

Anonymous

My 8000S was £250 brand spanking new, I would say it would blow most other £250 amps away

chebby:

plastic penguin:That's the problem with Audiolab, since its re-introduction about 4 years ago it is a good, solid make.....not outstanding.

So how many outstanding amps are there nowadays for about £350 brand new?

(Although I wish the 8000S had kept the tone controls from the original 8000A.)

You're right, chebby there aren't many outstanding sub-£500, but to my ears, Audiolab doesn't represent very good VFM like some others.

A

Anonymous

I disagree. I paid £345 for my black 8000s this year. It sounds brilliant. How can it just be average ?!

The CD player is also quality. Well built and sounds incredible with the Kef iq5se speakers. My dad has a Linn setup with PMC speakers. It does sound amazing. But the audiolab doesn't get to blown away by the linn. And the linn is over £500 more.

Gbeer7:

I disagree. I paid £345 for my black 8000s this year. It sounds brilliant. How can it just be average ?!

The CD player is also quality. Well built and sounds incredible with the Kef iq5se speakers. My dad has a Linn setup with PMC speakers. It does sound amazing. But the audiolab doesn't get to blown away by the linn. And the linn is over £500 more.

I didn't mention the word average. I think they are good, solid brand.

I really do believe it depends on individual circumstances. If you're upgrading from - let's use an example - entry-level Cambridge, then yes, it would make a very good upgrade. I, personally, wouldn't sell my Arcam for an Audiolab.

A

Anonymous

Funny, i sold my Arcam alpha 7 and replaced it with the Audioloab 8000cd !

Gbeer7:Funny, i sold my Arcam alpha 7 and replaced it with the Audioloab 8000cd !

I have the Alpha 7R in my attic. It's richer sounding than my A65 and not quite as open, likewise, the Audiolab has a bit more punch, but to me it sounded a little clinical.

Put another way, I'd rather spend £500 on a s/hand Naim Nait 5i then £350 on a brand new Audiolab. Again, it's about perceived VFM and not a personal swipe at Audiolab.

A

Anonymous

One man's stereo is another man posion ! I spent £400 odd on the CD player
emotion-10.gif

Gbeer7:One man's stereo is another man posion ! I spent £400 odd on the CD player
emotion-10.gif

That maybe true, but I certainly wouldn't say Audiolab was poison.

Please don't take this wrong, you clearly love the Audiolab. You should be applauded because not everyone is that content when they upgrade. Hope that others would react the same when I eventually upgrade - that's why I rarely change my gear.

chebby:

plastic penguin:Put another way, I'd rather spend £500 on a s/hand Naim Nait 5i....

Ok done. (+ P&P though.)

Ahh, I would do, chebby. There's a small hurdle in that the CDP and speakers would have to be changed without resorting to painkillers....can't do that at the mo cause I'm skint
emotion-9.gif

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
That's what fascinates me about the hi-fi threads I read: the variety of tastes and opinions. Personally, having heard Arcam kit, I found it a tad too warm. Everyone is different, both in terms of personal preference and circumstances. That's why it is often best to canvass a good range of forum opinions before auditioning a selection of components.

I purchased my first Audiolab 8000S amp and Marantz KI Sig back in the '90s and they cost me the princely sum of £1100 (only viable because I had a small investment mature). For me they were the best I could afford, based on reviews and, I have to admit, only a little auditioning. Maybe if I had done more I would have come across a 'better' combo, but I have to say I have been well pleased with them.

I recently purchased upgraded versions of the same kit for under half that original price and would be surprised if I could get a better sound for the price.

Yep, "one man's poison"...

A

Anonymous

I have a 2 amp combo from audiolab as my sig. I got last year from sight and sound.

I demoed i lot of different kit at the time, from cyrus, arcam, musical fidelity,naim.

I choose the audiolab cos of their sound and bold brash looks. Had arcam before which was a good setup. I think if they had only just come out, people would rave about them, but as its a old name, people are like, they aren't like they used to be...( with a flatcap on ).

Their two cd players ( cd/cde), i thought where great players aswell.

I wouldnt say they are average in any way, but i may be biased ! lol

A

Anonymous

While im here ive got a questin for Audiolab CD/CDE player owners.

When i was demoing last year, i think i demoed the CDE, then the CD.

I know this is a fact as read it last nite, it was the buttons on the front (play,stop etc), when you pressed them they didnt do owt, you had to hold each button for a second, audiolab state its to stop accidentally pressing a button by mistake but as i remember the function drove me crazy !!!!

My question is , are both the 8000 CDE and the 8000 CD player both this way???????

cheers dave

A

Anonymous

I own a 8000cd which i bought in 2008. Mine doesn't do this. Press the stop, play etc and works fine.

That does sound odd !
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

http://igs.avhub.com.au/IgnitionSuite/uploads/docs/Audiolab_CD8000_CD_Player_Review.pdf?128884008264480000

Page 42 (2nd), mentions it top left..buttons took longer to travel...

A

Anonymous

Mine doesn't do this either. The buttons are one of the best bits, long travel, and feel 'mechanical'

shadders

Hi,

I have an Audiolab 80000A, but since it does not have a remote control - and i use it for TV also - and the change in volume levels on programming material etc, is rather annoying.

So i bought upon spec the Cambridge Audio Azur 650A - previously read a review stating it was slightly bright.

My impression is that the mid range detail for the 650A is much better than the Audiolab, 650A is brighter, but the bass is not that well defined/taught compared to the 80000A.

Overall i am pleased with the change, especially for the price paid for the 650A and the cost of equivalent capable amplifiers.

Regards,

Shadders.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Reggaedave, as a matter of interest, since I have two Audiolab 8000S amps, I was thinking of combining them when I get the opportunity next week. Based on your experience with 8000S and P, would you say bi-amping or pre/power is best?

I know, I know; try it and see...
emotion-4.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts