audiolab to arcam?

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi my previous post was audiolab to uniti my problem is i wanna cut down on number of boxes i have audio lab 8000 monos 8000 cd arcam t32 tuner so wld a swap from monos to arcam a38 amp be a good move my speakers are at present ma rs1 which sound good with the arcam tuner any advice? ?

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah thought about the neo but again i think the sound quality wld be a step down and certainly less power i do like the look of the a38 the speakets will get upgraded and mostlikely will go for an all arcam set up eventually love the big rich sound

audioaddict said:
Yeah thought about the neo but again i think the sound quality wld be a step down and certainly less power i do like the look of the a38 the speakets will get upgraded and mostlikely will go for an all arcam set up eventually love the big rich sound

Please forgive my ignorance, but why do want to change from the Audiolab Monos? Probably pound-for-pound it'll give you better overall SQ than a single Arcam. As I mentioned before I'd look at speakers first: PMC DB1i, TB2is, B&W or perhaps the MA GX range.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
:p
plastic penguin said:
audioaddict said:

Please forgive my ignorance, but why do want to change from the Audiolab Monos? Probably pound-for-pound it'll give you better overall SQ than a single Arcam. As I mentioned before I'd look at speakers first: PMC DB1i, TB2is, B&W or perhaps the MA GX range.

Because as per his original post....."he want to cut down on the number of boxes" :oops: :p

Jason36 said:
plastic penguin said:
audioaddict said:

Because as per his original post....."he want to cut down on the number of boxes" :oops: :p

Yes, by going A38 the OP will still have separates, and I think the Arcam will struggle to better the Audiolab monos and pre-amp.

At least if he auditions the speakers I've mentioned they will gel well with both Audiolab and Arcam.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Jason36 said:
plastic penguin said:
audioaddict said:

Yes, by going A38 the OP will still have separates, and I think the Arcam will struggle to better the Audiolab monos and pre-amp.

At least if he auditions the speakers I've mentioned they will gel well with both Audiolab and Arcam.

I agree with you on the point of selling the Monos and Pre-amp and replacing with the A38......I think the come down will be very noticeable to the OP, and not in a good way, especially with improved speakers. But of course he would only have one box rather than three.

I suppose it's the same old problem of space vs sound.....and trying to get the first without compromising the second :roll:

Jason36 said:
plastic penguin said:
Jason36 said:
plastic penguin said:
audioaddict said:

I agree with you on the point of selling the Monos and Pre-amp and replacing with the A38......I think the come down will be very noticeable to the OP, and not in a good way, especially with improved speakers. But of course he would only have one box rather than three.

I suppose it's the same old problem of space vs sound.....and trying to get the first without compromising the second :roll:

Yup, I've been grappling with space Vs sound for yonks...
smiley-wink.gif

The only sure way is to audition the A38 against the Audiolabs and decide if it jusifies the downsizing.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes this is a tricky one as i dont really wanna get rid of the audiolab monos i will try some of the speakers plastic penguin suggested would a pair of bw 684S be a good match? ??

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
audioaddict said:
Just had a brain wave i cld get an audiolab 8200 cdq there fore cuttin down on the pre amp and cd player thus giving me two boxes less
... my sums say that'll be one box less!!

However, keeping on that theme, how about getting the 8200CDQ, sell your 8000 monos and replace them with an 8200P - that'll drop you down by two boxes. :)

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Diamond Joe said:
However, keeping on that theme, how about getting the 8200CDQ, sell your 8000 monos and replace them with an 8200P - that'll drop you down by two boxes. :)

Actually, now I think about it, that sounds like a thumping good solution for my future needs, hmmmm :?

audioaddict said:
Or i cld get a 8000p and save a fortune

Using your existing preamp + a power amp would be my suggestion. TBH, no idea how it compares to the monos you have, but hi-fi is always a compromise. If you can't audition that's the gamble you (we) take.

Going back to my earlier post I really think you should look at speakers first: The RS1s are a tiny version of my RS6s. I love them to bits but they are not a good match with Audiolab. The hard domed tweeter is a little too exuberant for the Audiolab's crisp presentation IMO.

Listen to Arcam or Leema and you'll understand where I'm coming from.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree with you the amp n speakers not a gd match. When i listen to my arcam tuner the sound is much fuller and richer which is what made me think the arcam a38 would be a smoother match and also cut down on my box count. You also previously mentioned the solo neo any idea how that would sound with a p38 power amp giving me a powerful two box system? ?

audioaddict said:
I totally agree with you the amp n speakers not a gd match. When i listen to my arcam tuner the sound is much fuller and richer which is what made me think the arcam a38 would be a smoother match and also cut down on my box count. You also previously mentioned the solo neo any idea how that would sound with a p38 power amp giving me a powerful two box system? ?

As mentioned before go and listen and test your own apathy.

We are all experienced with hi-fi but that doesn't we've heard all your combos. We can ONLY advise based on our own experience: What I like and what does it for you could be 'chalk and cheese'.

Hi-fi isn't an exact science.

A

Anonymous

I was looking for a minimal system and went for the Arcam A38/CD17 combination with Monitor Audio RX2 & Chord Cables. Having owned this system for nearly a year, i can only say what a joy it is to come home after work and listen to music. I tried the Arcam with many speakers but personally found them to work with Monitor Audio the best.

Hope this helps

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi emporio yes thats a great help. When i listen to my arcam tuner it sounds deep and rich through my monitor audio rs 1 and which is ztill tempting me to go for the arcam a38 amp which looks like quality well built kit.

A

Anonymous

The A38 will continue the warm rich sound matching your tuner. I originally started off with the cd17 which I used with my AV amp & B&W 684. The CD17 was brillient, but found that there was something missing so went down the separate hi fi route, keeping things to a minimum. Anyways a few auditions later walked out with the A38 & Monitor Audio RX2. Also found the chord cables work well with the system.

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
Warning to Audioadict.

Cutting down on boxes just leaves more room for new boxes. Been there, done it (and improved the sound), and now I am back there.

There is much to be said for having no room for any extra boxes. Maybe wait until it is time for a complete revolution to internet radio, music (maybe HD) on a NAS rather than CD player, etc? Just a thought.

Andrew

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrew17321 said:
Warning to Audioadict.

Cutting down on boxes just leaves more room for new boxes. Been there, done it (and improved the sound), and now I am back there.

There is much to be said for having no room for any extra boxes. Maybe wait until it is time for a complete revolution to internet radio, music (maybe HD) on a NAS rather than CD player, etc? Just a thought.

Andrew

:rofl:

You are not wrong!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts