Audiolab M-DAC vs Arcam irDAC.

Willferox

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone.

I currently use an Arcam rDAC running straight into a pair of Dynaudio BM5A Mk2 speakers, into my PC. I use a separate volume controller.

I am happy with my Arcam, but would like a DAC with a remote control and, ideally, integrated volume control (i want to simplify the chain and reduce wiring).

I like the Arcam because it has 'balls'. My dynaudio monitors are inevitably quite clean, and I've found that the Arcam rDAC adds some meat to the bone. I actually recently 'upgraded' to an audiolab 8200CDQ which was alot more expensive, but made the mix too clean. It didn't have the ballsy bass or grittiness of the Arcam (which is sometimes criticised). The Audiolab was too clean.

So, firstly, I'm wondering if the new Arcam irDAC volume control will control the volume of the DAC itself? Or will it control the volume of the program I'm using to stream music (spotify)? Is this digital volume controlling undesirable considering I often listen to music at lower volumes.

Secondly, I'm looking at the Audiolab M-DAC because it has a remote control AND integrated volume controller. And it's within my budget. However, I'm worried that the Audiolab will be too clean, like the 8200CDQ I demoed.

What are your thoughts on this?

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi!

according to the current WHF issue, you should steer clear of M-DAC and immediately audition irDAC instead!

Regards

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
"Volume and Mute

The volume (+ and –) and mute (@) buttons control any Arcam amplifier. Note that the irDAC output is at line level (i.e. maximum volume) at all times.

Transport Controls

The CR107's Pause, Stop, Skip back, Play and Skip forward transport controls can be used to control playback of a connected Apple device, or to control media software running on a connected computer compatible with the USB HID protocol."

http://www.arcam.co.uk/_ugc/file/tor_files/rSeries/irDAC/irDAC_MANUAL_SH255_E-F-D-N-ES-R_2.pdf

So unfortunately it doesn't act as a preamp, but it can be used to control the playback software, although altering the volume in such a way has been known to interfere with the delivery of a bit-perfect signal.

Personally I'd want the preamp integrated into the DAC, although I did toy with the idea of the irdac together with a simple preamp like this

http://www.firestone-audio.eu/shop/products/preamp/index.php

to run some active speakers. I've pretty much discounted it because of the extra cables (interconnects and power) and extra remote meaning it is a pretty messy solution.

From everything I've read it sounds like the M-DAC is pretty detailed and analytical. I'm a little surprised about the speakers, because they have a reputation for being among the warmer active monitors.

Willferox

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Bought the Arcam irDAC this morning. Sounds great straight out of the box & I'm sure it will sound even better when I get home from work having left my system on all day. Very ballsy.

I'm currently using a cheapo volume controller to control volume: http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/shop/audio-video/volume-controls/ila-100rca-passive-stereo-level-1020857.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=H7Media&gclid=CPnSqLSc-LkCFcTKtAodvXkAQA

Part of me worries that this is degrading my signal. Any thoughts?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Try this.

Remove the monitor controller from your system and wire directly from Dac to speakers.

Set the level controls on the Dynaudio to minimum.

Set the ouput level on your software player to maximum, and play some music, something 'normal', not too loud.

Advance the levels on your monitors to your regular listening level, if you play it a bit louder on occasions set it to that.

Leave the monitor levels at that setting and adjust the level on your software player.

Simple as that, at full volume the outbut will be bit perfect (assuming your player is bit perfect) but turning it down to lower levels will still leave you with a fairly high setting that is unlikely to have any effect on the music data.

If you really want a full function remote control dac, try this.....

5034_Matrix_mini-i_AD1955_DAC_1.jpg

Matrix Mini I.

Available in the UK fro less than £250.

garyw77

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Just replaced my M2Tech Young with the irDAC, brilliant DAC, punching way above its price tag and improving my system.

Remote is a bit cheap looking but excellent for convenience in my system. Controls all the play features in Audirvana as well as the volume on my Exposure 3010S2 amp so all functions in a little remote for my playback.

One of the reasons i looked at this DAC originally, and the reason (IMHO in my system) it has improved the sound is that it also works in direct and Interger mode with Audirvana. This has opened the mid range up considerably and given a clearer more detailed bass while keeping great top end detail.

Recommended for a listen for anyone looking for a top end DAC sound from a reasonably priced DAC.

It's impressive :)

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Tricky one. The Arcam doesn't have the volume control you need and the Audiolab I suspect won't suit, good as it is - its balance is more or less the same as the 8200. One alternative is Fidelity Audio's DAC-150, which like the M DAC has a very good headphone amp too.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
James7 said:
Tricky one. The Arcam doesn't have the volume control you need and the Audiolab I suspect won't suit, good as it is - its balance is more or less the same as the 8200. One alternative is Fidelity Audio's DAC-150, which like the M DAC has a very good headphone amp too.

If I read Fidelity Audios website correctly, they only have 'b' stock ones left at £325 so that seems rather appealing........ :)

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Well, that settles it. There's only one solution - We get Arcam to make a DAC that also functions as a preamp. Oh, and I wouldn't mind it having a decent headphone amp in it too while they're at it.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
ID. said:
Well, that settles it. There's only one solution - We get Arcam to make a DAC that also functions as a preamp. Oh, and I wouldn't mind it having a decent headphone amp in it too while they're at it.

easy....job done :grin:

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Julian_b said:
NHL - I think you are referring to the review on the Q DAC NOT the M DAC. The latter is still much loved by reviewers and owners alike!

True Julian,

find it amazing that the irDac is no 1 while I gave away my drDock for free. The drDock sounded like an equalizer on Red Bull.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts