Audiolab M-DAC or T+A Music Receiver (Daftness or Not?)

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
OK, it’s coming to ‘crunch time’. I need to decide which way to go. In a couple of weeks I have a window of opportunity when the OH is away for a few days and it follows major upheaval in our living room when we have new flooring installed (a topic in and of itself). The Hi-fi and AV components (such as they are) will have been removed and need to be re-installed: an ideal time for spring cleaning contacts and maybe also trying something new.

Recent forum queries and discussions I posted gave interesting results and made me consider anew what I am looking for. I like the sound of my existing music system, although can never quite avoid wondering if I can attain an even better listening experience. However, after experimenting with FLAC files, Spotify and internet radio from laptop to Dacmagic via USB and thence to amp, I was impressed by the streaming option.

My first thought was maybe that I should upgrade the DAC significantly (easily attainable after the sale of an ‘L’ series lens on Fleabay), but Shooter, bless him, threw a German spanner in the works. I nad mentioned the Naim Uniti as a possible route and he suggested the T+A Music Receiver as an alternative. The research I have done makes it sound rather attractive.

So, I can spend £600 on maybe an Audiolab M-DAC (hopefully auditioning in early June) and use the proceeds of my Fleabay sale. Or…splash out some £2.6k or so on the T+A product. The former plan replaces a smallish Dacmagic with a larger box and might leave me with about £100 to spend on necessary network products. The latter plan involves replacing 3 boxes (CDP, amp and DAC) with a single high-spec unit. Arguably, if I sell the Primare CDP and amp, plus the Dacmagic, for a decent amount, I might just about cover my costs. Again, I might be able to persuade one of the few UK retailers to allow me a home audition, although I really need to get my home network optimised for music streaming in short order. Of course, there’s always that Naim Uniti 2 to consider…

I note that Mr Everard has had direct experience of the T+A product and preferred the SuperUniti, but I doubt I would stretch to the higher echelon Naim products without very serious consideration of their benefits!

Oh well, I'll put my very limited knowledge. The only DAC I've heard at length is the DacMagic, whic sounded too mechanical with my system. Heard very briefly this http://www.whathifi.com/review/linn-sneaky-music-ds, but my lack of knowledge/naivety stopped me purchasing.

Rather than going for a £600 Dac or a very expensive T & A streamer jobbie, check out the above link. That's very good value and, for you, probably, may cover most angles (and save a bit of dough too).

Sorry, can't help anymore.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
...and will be home auditioning an Audiolab M-DAC and also a Naim Uniti (possibly the newer version, but I doubt it) in early June. Well, you have to try these things don't you? ;)

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
ESP2009 said:
...and will be home auditioning an Audiolab M-DAC and also a Naim Uniti (possibly the newer version, but I doubt it) in early June. Well, you have to try these things don't you? ;)

The question that is being asked is, an incremental change vs a drastic change, which sounds better. It is subjective but let me make an attempt.

if you are happy with all the components in your set up (The Amp especially), then I would say M-DAC route is cheaper and better. I have tested quite a few DACs in the past few years and I can say confidently that M-DAC ticks all the important boxes for me (Musicality, PRAT, headphone amplifier, display) and the first two points itself makes it worthy of the demo.

T+A Music receiver - I have not heard it in person but I would not try to bring too much change in the system especially if I am very happy with the synergy between my amp and speakers and I rate this as the maximum perceivable variable.

Hope I helped!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Oh well, I'll put my very limited knowledge. The only DAC I've heard at length is the DacMagic, whic sounded too mechanical with my system. Heard very briefly this http://www.whathifi.com/review/linn-sneaky-music-ds, but my lack of knowledge/naivety stopped me purchasing.

Rather than going for a £600 Dac or a very expensive T & A streamer jobbie, check out the above link. That's very good value and, for you, probably, may cover most angles (and save a bit of dough too).

I haven't contributed because I didn't want to sound like a broken record, so your interjection has worked out nicely. IMO The Sneaky is a must try in and around its budget (there, I said it again! :oops: )

@ESP2009
The cost of a T+A brings you into Majik DS territory, which is very hard to beat. >)

matthewpiano

The T+A unit looks and sounds superb but I'm personally not that convinced about the merits of spending that sort of money. Your first idea of buying the Audiolab DAC would probably take you a huge percentage of the way there without the crippling financial outlay.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

I haven't contributed because I didn't want to sound like a broken record, so your interjection has worked out nicely. IMO The Sneaky is a must try in and around its budget (there, I said it again! :oops: ) @ESP2009 The cost of a T+A brings you into Majik DS territory, which is very hard to beat. >)

Blimey... spent the evening at my daughter's school summer fair only to find I'm being used as a human shield ;) :oops: :twisted:

Don't worry about sounding like a broken record, I do it all the time.

"Leema this"..."Arcam that"..."MA this" and so on and so forth.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Blimey... spent the evening at my daughter's school summer fair only to find I'm being used as a human shield ;) :oops: :twisted:

Don't worry about sounding like a broken record, I do it all the time.

"Leema this"..."Arcam that"..."MA this" and so on and so forth.

....and a very good shield you make. :)

It's just I'd already suggested it to the OP on a different thread. There's a fine line between being helpful, and just being annoying!

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Trying to tell you which route to take is like trying to tell you which girl to marry!

All i can add is you need to listen to what you can and go from there. A one box solution is a nice way to go to streamline your box count and the T+A is nice option to have over the Naim. Apart from those two and the higher price Uniti and Cno's Linn which looks good, ideally auditioning those 3 with your ProAc's would be the thumbs up.

Having a look through the T+A retailers, none of them deal with Naim or Linn which is a pain but you will find some that stock Naim and Linn, Audio T do and there probably others, nice to get some comparisons if you can.

Not the best insite but hope it helps a bit :)

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your insight one and all. I have been away enjoying the rare good weather this weekend, so it was nice to return to find 6 new posts. I appreciate the range of opinion - it makes for a bit of a sanity check.

As I say, it is possible that buying something like a Naim Uniti (2?) or T+A Music Receiver and selling my existing boxes means I will be a little out of pocket, but probably less than the price of an Audiolab M-DAC. However, as suggested, there is a good chance that a less expensive option will bring satisfaction too.

I still have to try out the possibilities and critically ask myself whether they improve my listening experience or just change it. It could be that one of them does both. I am not averse to a change in the overall sound. However, as I may have already said, I am unsure as to whether I will enjoy the Naim sound. I need to hear another premium all-in-one to compare and contrast. I have not heard any Linn products.

I have a couple of weeks to find out whether I can get any other contenders together on loan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts