Audiolab M-DAC + Impressions

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Good evening all,

I've recently been trialling a Chord Mojo and Audiolab M-DAC + in my system. The majority of my music catalogue is stored digitally although I do see my future moving to vinyl (gradually given the price of an lp). Decided I needed to grab a DAC to re-open the digital door. I had been using the Sonos Connect not just as a network transport but a DAC also. Without question wasn't really fit for purpose (the DAC element).

I've been trialling a Chord Mojo and Audiolab M-DAC + in my system for a couple of weeks. Maybe not a fair comparison. I tried the mojo first and its sounded good, to my ears though the dedicated M-DAC + took things to another level. Reminded me of the REGA DAC-R but perhaps with a smoother, more refined sound (well to my memory). All sounds very competent and actually not too dissimilar to vinyl when A B testing.

Anyway, very happy with the audiolab after a couple of weeks. More than I wanted to spend really at the moment. Would have loved to have a crack with the more expensive chords but will have to save that for another day. This will do the job nicely I hope for a while now.

Only other things nagging me are:

a) my optical whilst perfectly functional is the freebie that came with my home cinema system (basic Sony) - optical is optical though yeah?

b) Interconnects, using some 3-4 year old Chord Crimsons - not seen light of day for few years - all sounds fine to me but imagine I should be investing ins something better

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Great system you have there.

If you think spending extra on I/Cs is worthwhile....I would recommend Linn Silvers (ebay).

insider9

Interesting to read your thoughts. I have completely ignored Mdac+ for whatever reason. Digital source is the next on my upgrade list.

I have used Mojo but for all it's virtues it didn't suit my system and I really wanted a stationary dac. I will definitely have to add this to my list. Thanks

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Congratulations...on your upgrade.

Iam glad you are able to hear the difference's between the dac's so clearly, to warrant exceeding your budget.

I'd probably get my ears syringed first to compare the differences between the inbuilt dac of the parasound hint and chord 2 qute :)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
As long as the length is not beyond 3 mtrs. Just make sure that there are no acute bends in the cable.

I've tried two optical cables so far. One expensive and one cheap. After changing them over and over to compare which is better.

I have now forgotten which is which :)

I can only hope iam listening through the expensive one :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I am surprised they still use ESS's 9018. - Some seven years old and superseded by the 9038 Pro, reputedly better in every aspect ... ?

Benchmark, amongst others have switched to the newer chip.

insider9

newlash09 said:
Congratulations...on your upgrade.

Iam glad you are able to hear the difference's between the dac's so clearly, to warrant exceeding your budget.

I'd probably get my ears syringed first to compare the differences between the inbuilt dac of the parasound hint and chord 2 qute :)
I'd be very interested to know what you think. Especially if you compared the Yamaha WXC-50 DAC to 2Qute.

TRENDING THREADS