Audiolab 8200CDQ, power amps and other accessories

Longjohn

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Dear All,

This is my first posting on the forum, but I've been an enthusiast for many years, gradually verging towards fanatic as the years take their toll on me. I now live in Switzerland, which is great place to live, but one limitation is that you can't get UK HiFi equipment at good prices. 'What HiFi' is the only UK mag I subscribe to (this should guarantee a grateful response from one of the top editorial guys!). As a result, I don't investigate non-UK equipment too much. I do note, however, that quite a lot of UK HiFi equipment is sold here, with some brands having more market penetration than others. There is no question that UK kit is highly regarded in this country.

I came here with an Arcam Solo Mini and a pair of Monitor Audio Silver RS1s, and would now like to upgrade this kit. I use an Asrock Vision 3D Home Theatre PC to get internet radio and I have a relatively new Arcam rDAC KW to feed the signal into my Solo. I want to improve the CD player, amplifier and to try another DAC.

Accordingly, I'm really keen to buy an Audiolab 8200CDQ, but I'm a loss as to what amp to use. I don't want much more than 40-60W (100W max), because the Swiss complain if you make too much noise!

I don't know whether to buy an integrated amp (such as the Cyrus 6a, Roksan Kandy K2 or Rotel RA1520) for future flexibility, or whether I should get a power amp (Cyrus 8 Power, Audiolab 8200P, etc.).

I would be interested to know if there is an integrated amp in which the preamp can be disabled so as to allow the use of 8200CDQ's preamp. Or perhaps that doesn't matter at all if I can disable the 8200CDQ's premap?

I'm sorry if this seems a lot of questions!

Can anyone please give me some advice?

Much appreciated,

Long John

Longjohn

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
If it's any help, by the way, I tend to listen to classical music and jazz, and I'm more interested in a sound with clarity and a good midrange and treble. Bass should be clear but not too prominent.

Thanks once again,

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi LongJohn what sort of music ? what size is your listening room ? Your cdp should go well with the audiolab 8200p the roksan caspian m2 / kandy . what is your budget ?

Longjohn

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Hello Toyota man,

Thanks for your prompt response. I tend to listen to classical and jazz, so I'm not too interested in heavy bass. In any case, I have a hearing loss, which makes me prefer equipment with strong midrange & treble.

My budget? About £2 to £3K, I should think. I will use my existing Monitor Audio RS1 speakers for the time being, but will change them eventually.

Thanks and best regards,

John

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi Longjohn I have a musical fidelity m6i amp which I bought dec 2011 which has 200w per channel which gives better low level listening IMO you coul try the m6 prx power amp I found that the new amp made more improvement than my new cdp if thats not what you want I also listened to the roksan caspian power amp and an audiolab 8200p power amp both very good but the m6i was the one for me I think you will know what I meen if you hear one:cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts