Audiolab 8200A vs Roksan Kandy K2

khas

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Plz help!I need ampliefer!

Audiolab 8200A or Roksan Kandy K2 for my B&W CM1?

What a damping factor Audiolab 8200A?

khas

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I want more strong low-bass(no midbass)!

music-all(classic,pop,rock,heavy,hard,trash,metalcore,chanson,jazz) !room 18 m2

marantz-no!

Rotel Ra-1520 better Audiolab 8200A for CM1?

ps-sorry my english very bad

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The (only) good thing I could say about the original 8000S was its very firm and solid bass for something with only 60watts. Other than that it was horrible imo but that doesn't mean you wont like it plus they may well changed the rather analytical sound which to my ageing ears pulled the sound apart.

Having said all that, the 8200A had some good reviews plus there are some dealers on here which may be able to shed more light.

As to the K2 amplifier, when I had it on a home trial with the matching cd player, I found bass be to soft for my taste. Good power though.

regards

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Lol I have knowlefge of all these amps......

The Audio lab is a strange amp imo ( some say its excellent others say its not very good) in my opinion its not a great amp. While the bass thumps its not deep defined bass. its also pretty detached across the frequencie range so sounds disjointed. The midrange has no weight to it and with the amp I had was sibilant (shhh on the end of vocals) and not very good with female voices. it is the most handsome amp of the 3 you mention though. I believe I may have had a broken one though - not worth its asking price.

The Rotel 1520 is in isolation a good amp and will suit your musical taste. its an assertive listen and is loud - the bass is not the deepest or well textured but with carefull speaker placement it will deliver - it does not do atomosphere, emotion, large soundstage or ambience & lacks timbre. its a very straight forward listen but for rock or up tempo music It'll work well.

The Rocksan is the most powerful sounding of the three - you'll feel the bass from this amp even though it will sound no louder than the Audiolab & Rotel. it also does decent vocals pushing them clear of the speakers - its design and lack of tone controls are its only downfall .

Apart from the Roksan these were heard through my Mission 782se speakers ( your speakers may differ so your results will...er...differ) source NAD c660 CDP

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
tonky said:
Don't forget to try and get a listen of the Marantz pearl lite amp.

I heard the pearl lite when I was suffering from upgrade madness when I 'auditioned' all these amps - was not impressed with it at all. Very closed/compressed sound to it when compared to the other amps on test - or maybe the design turnrd me off it.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
In this price level I certainly put the Roksan Kandy in the top of my list ; lots of reserve power , punchy bass , detailed and natural sound :rockout:

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
All I can say is I heard a "side by side " audition for a couple of hours through kef LS50 speakers and audiolab cd player.

Closed in and compressed it definitely wasn't - neither was the roksan K2.

The Marantz was clear,spacious, detailed and with great control of the music - the roksan had a slight looseness in the bass frequencies.

If you need more outright power the roksan might suit you better - I have read great reviews of the Pear lite ( not one negative one)

You have to listen in the context of your system. I always do. Different ancillary equipment can make a huge difference - but i am sure we all know this

Good luck - let us know how you get on

tonky

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
One mans wine, hey tonky.... :)

Like I said the lack of tone controls on the Roksan is a negative as its low end performance can dominate its sound depending on speaker choice but if matched right it as a powerful sound.

Never heard the Pearl with my speakers but with the Kandy cdp and epos m22 ( if memory serves me right...) it was lacking the clarity and seperation of the other amps I auditioned but posibly in a domestic setting that same quality could shine as the home auditions of the other amps (ownership of the 8200a and Rotel) proved them to assertive for my taste.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I agree about the K2 lacking claruty thats one thing that struck me, I had 2 demos with the K2 with various speakers, if you need the power and the bass then fine but I think there are better amps around at that price. The Audiolab can be a bit lean sounding. The B&W CM1s do need a bit of power and bass can be a problem so not sure if the K2 would go with them, best to demo if you can.

I agree the Pearl is worth a try. Also the Creek 50A. Or a used Musical Fidelity M3i, talking used there seem to be a few Leemas around £600 if you are in the UK.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts