Feb 9, 2022
Visit site
Good day,

I have actually as hifi system :
Audilolab 8200A
CD REGA PLANET
Speaker ATHOM SCIROCCO
Turntable DENON DP 400

I wanted to upgrade my system and use the Audlolab 8200A as pre-amp only adding a Power ampli, I was thinking about cyrus 200 stereo

Do you think is a good idea ? or better to change the audiolab by a new integrated ?

Thanks

Good day,

I have actually as hifi system :
Audilolab 8200A
CD REGA PLANET
Speaker ATHOM SCIROCCO
Turntable DENON DP 400

I wanted to upgrade my system and use the Audlolab 8200A as pre-amp only adding a Power ampli, I was thinking about cyrus 200 stereo

Do you think is a good idea ? or better to change the audiolab by a new integrated ?

Thanks
Personally I don't think it is economic going this way.
Not so I think it's a good idea to mix brands when it comes to amplification.
Sell the Audiolab and buy another integrated or proper pre / power combo but note that the best upgrades come from improving the sources......
You don't say what you are finding lacking in the 8200A

Reactions: RoA

sound31

Feb 9, 2022
Visit site
do not have any problem with the Audiolab, but I have the opportunity to get the the cyrus a very good price, that was I am thinking if it make sense or not to do it
I used to hear the Cyrus III I always loved that sound

do not have any problem with the Audiolab, but I have the opportunity to get the the cyrus a very good price, that was I am thinking if it make sense or not to do it
The 'sound' is ultimately going to depend on the pre amplifier.
If you really want the 200 I would suggest you also look for a Cyrus preamp.

ok that for your help all clear now, better t find a used cyrusII and then upgrade it with cyrus 200
You just need a Cyrus Pre, although most now seem to come with an inbuit DAC these days, you don't want to use an integrated amplifier as a preamp
Don't know your budget out there is a used one on here...

Cyrus amplifiers are not my forte but they must have made a simple Preamplifier somewhere along the line....

shadders

Hi,
People have reported that the Audiolab is clinical. Essentially it adds nothing to the sound. The Audio preamp section will not determine the overall sound, but the combination of the Audiolab preamp and the subsequent power amp will.

It is a case of try it and see. If you are intent of purchasing the Cyrus power amplifier, you already own the Audiolab preamp, so nothing to lose. If you don't like the Audiolab preamp impact on the sound, then try another preamplifier.

Regards,
Shadders.

Hi,
People have reported that the Audiolab is clinical. Essentially it adds nothing to the sound. The Audio preamp section will not determine the overall sound, but the combination of the Audiolab preamp and the subsequent power amp will.

It is a case of try it and see. If you are intent of purchasing the Cyrus power amplifier, you already own the Audiolab preamp, so nothing to lose. If you don't like the Audiolab preamp impact on the sound, then try another preamplifier.

Regards,
Shadders.
The 8200A is an integrated amplifier is it not?

shadders

The 8200A is an integrated amplifier is it not?
Hi,
The Audiolab 8000A and 8200A have preamplifier output connections. The internal links can be cut such that the preamplifier section can increase the signal level without the 8200A power amp responding.

Using the preamplifier section/outputs of the 8200A to drive the relevant power amplifier, has no effect on the 8200A power amp.

It is the power amplifier that will dominate the overall distortion of the system. Most preamplifier distortion is negligible.

Regards,
Shadders.

Hi,
The Audiolab 8000A and 8200A have preamplifier output connections. The internal links can be cut such that the preamplifier section can increase the signal level without the 8200A power amp responding.

Using the preamplifier section/outputs of the 8200A to drive the relevant power amplifier, has no effect on the 8200A power amp.

It is the power amplifier that will dominate the overall distortion of the system. Most preamplifier distortion is negligible.

Regards,
Shadders.
But that's my point. Why buy a decent integrated amplifier and then just ditch the well thought out power amp section. Just doesn't make financial sense.
A decent power amp will do just that, amplify what is coming from the preamp. If it adds character it isn't a decent power amplifier.

shadders

A decent power amp will do just that, amplify what is coming from the preamp. If it adds character it isn't a decent power amplifier.
Hi,
Unless the integrated amplifier is poorly designed, the distortion response you see will be due to the power amplifier section. The power amplifier distortion will always dominate the signal chain.

Regards,
Shadders.

Hi,
Unless the integrated amplifier is poorly designed, the distortion response you see will be due to the power amplifier section. The power amplifier distortion will always dominate the signal chain.

Regards,
Shadders.
again my point, in a well designed power amplifier there should be no distortion.
The fact that there may be means it isn't well designed.
I am going to leave it here as you clearly seem to want to keep this thread going.
Ultimately it will be down to the OP to decide where his money is best spent in what he considers to be an 'upgrade '.

aversaurus

I've been down the power amplifier run off the pre amp of a integrated amplifier not much performance gain .
Much better off with a good integrated amplifier or a separate pre amp and power amp setup

shadders

I have the opportunity to get the the cyrus a very good price, that was I am thinking if it make sense or not to do it
Hi,
The Cyrus 3 is a class A/B based power amplifier, and the Cyrus 200 is class D.

Have you heard a class D amplifier ?

Some like, and others do not. So perhaps listen to the Cyrus 200 before you purchase ?

Regards,
Shadders.

Hi,

Regards,
Shadders.
Think the older Audiolab will sound clinical with the wrong speakers. I didn't like it with the RS6s, it sounded too mechanical and lacking emotion

Reactions: shadders

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts