Audiolab 7000 series !?!?

SiR

Dec 26, 2021
Visit site
Is Audiolab 7000 series expected to be released soon ?

Do anyone one have any update on this ?

Saw this in Audiolab FB page

1673852084351.png

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If you Google Audiolab 7000, there's a password protected page on the Audiolab website. Looks like someone jumped the gun a little.

Reactions: Al ears

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I think Cyrus actually has less product now than they had done in the past. Or at least it's more rationalised. When I was a Cyrus retailer, there was the 6a, 8a, 6DAC, 8DAC, 8QxDAC - that's only the integrated amplifiers listed. There was maybe 3 CD players, a dedicated streamer, some preamps (With and without a DAC), a streaming preamp, a separate DAC or two, 3 power amplifiers, the PSX, and then the Signature stuff came out as well (but I can't remember if that immediately replaced the high end at that point, it was a while ago). Then there were the Lyric all-in-ones.

Reactions: Al ears and Gray

Gray

I think Cyrus actually has less product now than they had done in the past. Or at least it's more rationalised. When I was a Cyrus retailer, there was the 6a, 8a, 6DAC, 8DAC, 8QxDAC - that's only the integrated amplifiers listed. There was maybe 3 CD players, a dedicated streamer, some preamps (With and without a DAC), a streaming preamp, a separate DAC or two, 3 power amplifiers, the PSX, and then the Signature stuff came out as well (but I can't remember if that immediately replaced the high end at that point, it was a while ago). Then there were the Lyric all-in-ones.
Yes, they've just dropped one of two XR integrated amps - in the name of 'streamlining'.

Reactions: Al ears
Sadly, Audiolab are going down the same road as Cyrus, Roksan and many other companies, with at least 4 model ranges now. I don't see the point. I'd rather save and get the best kit, otherwise I'd feel I was buying an inferior product. I only bought my Audiolab Omnia, because I traded in some unopened Arcam boxes and in effect it cost me nothing extra. It's a nice sounding piece of kit, but the CD tray is very flimsy and DTS PlayFi is annoying. With the current 6000/7000/8300/9000 line up now, I can't imagine there's an appreciable difference in sound, across 4 model ranges, considering they aren't vastly different prices. It just comes down to a bit more power, here and there and cosmetics, such as displays and balanced connections. I don't think many people use this connector and there's not much 'value add' with this feature. I think they could stick to 1 model, do it well, with the feature set most people want and make it affordable. A CD transport/DAC, or a pre-amp/DAC, an integrated, a power amp and then finally, a pair of mono amps, would cover most of the customer demand. There's always a streaming option these days and this could be part of the pre-amp/DAC unit, or integrated. Too much choice is a not always a good thing and I tend to stay away from companies advertising amazing products, at all price levels. They can't all be amazing and corners will have been cut somewhere. I can understand offering a modestly priced range and then a silly money range, for people who want the best and have no problem spending a fortune, but it's all getting a bit messy now.
doesn't the 8300 look out of place in that lineup...
Their own website is a mish mash.....

The Audiolab site is terrible. They've tried to shove everything together and navigation is dreadful, although it is better than a few weeks ago. It still looks like a company without direction to me. I don't like companies mixing aesthetics, or sizes, across many product lines. If Cyrus, Audiolab et al, just stuck to one form factor and colour, then customers could mix and match between very differently specced and priced devices, depending on their priorities, but at least they would match visually and not just look like a random collection of kit. I've always chosen components from the same model range, be it NAD, Rotel, Marantz etc. They look pleasing together and although I do hate to say it, there might be a higher level of 'synergy' between them. Many products are sonically and electrically matched, to work with each other. I do like the Cyrus XR range, although too pricey for me, but this means the 'Classic' range has now been demoted to average sound and spec. Who really wants that? I don't like the 'One' range at all and I'm not sure where the All in One has gone. Also, tooling costs must be cheaper, if you stick to one box and this saving can be passed onto the customer. It shouldn't annoy me, but it does.
its a bit like punctuation on this post....

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
when they all appear to come in one of three chassis I guess you can make as many variants as you like.... :)

It was very interesting to see on my factory visit. The chassis was the only thing not made or sourced in the UK because - according to them - they couldn't find a local supplier who could create in that material to the level they needed. IIRC, all the chassis' are exactly the same - the internal mounting points for transformers, PCBs etc for all the models were integrated. Combine that with designing PCBs for new products with those in mind and there's your upgradeability. Very well engineered, and because the chassis is also the heatsink, no need to worry about designing for those, because the chassis has such a decent area to it.

Reactions: Al ears and Gray

podknocker

I really like the 9000A and it's fairly powerful, but still no HDMI, It does have balanced inputs however. Hmmm. I don't think many people need a balanced input, but there are plenty wanting HDMI, to allow them to connect a TV. Also, it doesn't appear to have a full streaming option, like the 6000 Play. Another mistake I think. Let's hope the 10000 series fixes all this!

Reactions: manicm

Emark600

Dec 31, 2022
Visit site
I really like the 9000A and it's fairly powerful, but still no HDMI, but does have balanced inputs. Hmmm. I don't think many people need a balanced input, but there are plenty wanting HDMI, to allow them to connect a TV. Also, it doesn't appear to have a full streaming option, like th 6000 Play. Another mistake I think. Let's hope the 10000 series fixes all this!
Personally didn’t want either hdmi or streaming, so great amp, and xlr inputs are great from my preamp.

podknocker

Balanced connections and cables are only required for long cable runs, to avoid picking up noise. They are overkill for any domestic situation, where the cables are probably a metre long. Most people would find an eARC HDMI more useful, in my opinion.

WayneKerr

Balanced connections and cables are only required for long cable runs, to avoid picking up noise. They are overkill for any domestic situation, where the cables are probably a metre long. Most people would find an eARC HDMI more useful, in my opinion.
"Most people" meaning people like you. I don't need HDMI on a stereo amp, or XLR inputs either, I prefer to keep things simple (y)

podknocker

I think Audiolab are testing the water with this top of the range amp and CD transport. There's probably going to be a full streaming variant, with the horrid DTS PlayFi module, eventually. Many people connect their TVs to an amp these days, regardless of streaming capability. If you don't need the extra power, or the display, then the 6000 Play is a better choice. It also lacks HDMI which is a shame. If people want a streaming amp and want to integrate a TV into the mix, then Toslink is the only alternative. I've had lipsync issues before and would prefer eARC. I think the display is a welcome feature, but is more practical in a streaming amp, such as my Audiolab Omnia. Having analogue and digital VU meters is a bit gimmicky. I don't see the point. Not really useful and only move when the volume is cranked up.

manicm

"Most people" meaning people like you. I don't need HDMI on a stereo amp, or XLR inputs either, I prefer to keep things simple (y)

If you're familiar with John Darko I'm firmly in his 'New Fi' camp, along with WayneKerr. HDMI ports on streaming amps are becoming increasingly common, and doesn't make one any less of an audiophile. And it beats Bluetooth hands down. It makes TV viewing much simpler for those who don't want a full blown AV surround system. Don't mention optical because it doesn't compete for TV convenience.

In case one is still wondering, even Linn provides HDMI on their equipment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts