Audiolab 6000A or 6000A Play?

Dawei88

Jan 2, 2021
Visit site
Hello,

i had my eyes on the Audiolab 6000A to combine with a streamer either Bluesound node 2i or the 6000N but found out they also released a all in one solution with the Audiolab 6000A Play. Besides the added streaming function, do you think the 6000A Play sounds as good as the 6000A ? It seems they both share exactly the same specifications for pre amplifier section, power amplifier section and DAC.
Im using KEF Q150 as fronts and need HT bypass function.
Which option would be best and why ?
1) Audiolab 6000A + 6000N
2) Audiolab 6000A + Bluesound Node 2i
3) Audiolab 6000A Play

microwavemeal

Jan 5, 2021
Visit site
I've had a play with the Node 2i and it was easy to use. Apparently, it's a fair bit better than the older version.

Aesthetically, it shouldn't look to bad with the Audiolab gear if you're getting the darker colour set. Haven't seen their 'silver' so can't comment.

As far as gapless playback is concerned, I'm actually not bothered that much (owning the Audiolab as I do). The only time it becomes noticeable is when playing something a bit 'concept'.

Either way, you shouldn't feel any post-purchase dissonance whichever you plump for.

njprrogers

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I've had a play with the Node 2i and it was easy to use. Apparently, it's a fair bit better than the older version.

Aesthetically, it shouldn't look to bad with the Audiolab gear if you're getting the darker colour set. Haven't seen their 'silver' so can't comment.

As far as gapless playback is concerned, I'm actually not bothered that much (owning the Audiolab as I do). The only time it becomes noticeable is when playing something a bit 'concept'.

Either way, you shouldn't feel any post-purchase dissonance whichever you plump for.

Do you own the Audiolab streamer or amp? Interested in how you find the sound if it's the amp? (I am strongly considering a purchase - would probably go for the Play).

microwavemeal

Jan 5, 2021
Visit site
I purchased A and N as individual units.

The "sound"? That would be hard to describe. The amplifier seems to do neutral very well. You certainly would not say it was warm. Accurate but not clinical.

That is to say that I have listened to a lot of music that gives as much as it was engineered to do so. You will easily notice the difference between, say Lark's Tongue in Aspic - King Crimson and the very modern Plastic Hearts - Miley Cyrus. The amp doesn't shield you from what's there (or isn't there), and that is the very reason why I love it.

Add a capable pair of speakers to the mix and what comes out is a joy to behold.

HTH

Dawei88

Jan 2, 2021
Visit site

Thanks for your reply, this help me to realize the best choice is probably to do individual units no matter the streamer choice rather than the 6000A Play all in one. I keep reading good comments about the Node 2i and consider all the features and price it is currently my first choice.
Also, i did not have the chance to listen to the 6000A, but some happy owners told me it does very well with any kind of music and very capable even for bass punch.
You mentioned it was "warm", sorry that i'm not sure what that mean exactly. I listened to the Marantz PM8006 with my KEF Q150 and although i liked the overall sound i think it wasnt punchy enough. How would you compared the 6000A to Marantz sound?
Thanks

microwavemeal

Jan 5, 2021
Visit site
You certainly would not say it was warm.

Like I said, it presents the music that's 'there'. It doesn't try to colour it in any way.

I have no experience of the Marantz PM8006 or you small KEFs. You managed to pair an amp that's more expensive and has a bigger output, and different technology (than the 6000a) with KEFs that have a smaller frequency range (and lighter) than other speakers that i have heard. Sorry, can't help you there. Somebody else on the forum would have to chip in and add their own views.

You mentioned it was "warm", sorry that i'm not sure what that mean exactly.
Here is every buzz word on audio that you’ll ever encounter...

I’d also be wary of the gapless Audiolab. It’s a dreadful weakness unless you only listen to music with discrete tracks. Imagine any opera, or Dark Side of the Moon, with pauses all the way through. No thanks!

Dawei88

Jan 2, 2021
Visit site
Here is every buzz word on audio that you’ll ever encounter...

I’d also be wary of the gapless Audiolab. It’s a dreadful weakness unless you only listen to music with discrete tracks. Imagine any opera, or Dark Side of the Moon, with pauses all the way through. No thanks!
Thanks but I assume it doesn’t apply to the amplifier. Only the streamer 6000N, right ?

Satnav

Jan 29, 2021
Visit site
Hi, I have just purchased the Audiolab 6000a PLAY, the Audiolab 6000 CDT, B&W 606 speakers and matching stands.
I would recommend the combo I have, which saved me around £200 compared to the 6000a and separate streamer. My only issue is the music on Tidal Hifi cutting out from time to time.

12oner

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, this help me to realize the best choice is probably to do individual units no matter the streamer choice rather than the 6000A Play all in one. I keep reading good comments about the Node 2i and consider all the features and price it is currently my first choice.
Also, i did not have the chance to listen to the 6000A, but some happy owners told me it does very well with any kind of music and very capable even for bass punch.
You mentioned it was "warm", sorry that i'm not sure what that mean exactly. I listened to the Marantz PM8006 with my KEF Q150 and although i liked the overall sound i think it wasnt punchy enough. How would you compared the 6000A to Marantz sound?
Thanks
Hey, he actually said it wasn't warm, which is correct. I had the 6000A, I felt it has a detailed, open, neutral, sound. It would work best with neutral/warm speakers in my opinion. Great amp for the money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts